Quick family dinners

Options
2»

Replies

• Sherbear0123
    Sherbear0123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump (need ideas too! At work so will need to read through these tonight!)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of once a month cooking? Do an internet search and see if it is something that would fit for you. You take one weekend a month and cook up a lot of meals(quadruple servings) and freeze them. Then, all you have to do is reheat and serve.

I need to do more of this - I have some friends that I am planning to make meals for (surgeries, babies, etc) and I'm hoping to really get ambitious and make at least two of everything so I can throw a pan of whatever I make in the freezer for myself too.

OP - I also have gone to places like Time for Dinner or Dream Dinners where you pay to make several meals to take home. It is a little pricey, but I thought it was worth it when things were really stressful, it was nice knowing I had options in the freezer to pull out. I really like cooking though, and I never found any of the meals tastier than things I could make at home myself, so I stopped going and planned to just do it myself with my own recipes. I haven't done much of that though - see first paragraph above!
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I chop/slice a bunch of veggies on the weekend so I can have them for stir fry, fajitas, or quick side dishes throughout the week. It also encourages me to snack on them or take them for lunch, so win-win. Onion and pepper slices, carrot coins, broccoli/cauliflower florets.

I mainly use my crockpot for soups, stews, and chili (mainly in the fall/winter). I pre-assemble everything in the pot at night and refrigerate, then throw it in the warming part in the morning and let it heat on low all day. I don't do roasts because I find them to end up dry and overcooked also. I've heard this can be a problem with newer crockpots.

We also eat a lot of brinner (breakfast for dinner). There are a ton of make ahead breakfast casseroles. The one I use most often is to roll out a can of crescents, top with cooked sausage, whatever veggies you like, 6 eggs beaten with 1 cup milk, pour over top, cover with cheese, bake at 375 until set.

Shepherd's pie: Brown up some ground meat, add some frozen peas and carrots, a little flour whisked into some beef broth to thicken, a little milk, pour into a pie plate, cover with mashed potatoes (instant, leftover, made from scratch that night...doesn't matter) or mashed cauliflower (if you're carb-conscious), sprinkle with paprika and bake at 400 until top starts to brown.

Stuffed peppers can be made the night before, best if the peppers are blanched.

Homemade pizza: Either make a big pizza with Pillsbury pizza crust, jarred sauce, whatever I have on hand for quick toppings (Johnsonville makes frozen Italian sausage slices that are awesome) Or, you can do individual pizzas using tortillas. Lightly brush with oil, top with whatever, bake at 400 until cheese melts. We eat those more than I care to admit, mostly because no one complains because they pick their own toppings.

Most of all, meal planning! That way you don't have to think about it when you get home from work, you can just get dinner on the table.
  • deana727
    deana727 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you have a timer for lamps or Xmas lights, you could get some extra use out of it and plug your slow cooker into that. I've done that with my rice steamer. I lost my super awesome programmable a while back and actually replaced it with a very decent (and cheap!) one from Goodwill. I use it a lot and my fairly picky 11yo has loved every kind of roast, sauce and soup that has come out of the thing. As it gets colder I'll use it a couple times a week - usually reserving about half to freeze.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you have a timer for lamps or Xmas lights, you could get some extra use out of it and plug your slow cooker into that. I've done that with my rice steamer. I lost my super awesome programmable a while back and actually replaced it with a very decent (and cheap!) one from Goodwill. I use it a lot and my fairly picky 11yo has loved every kind of roast, sauce and soup that has come out of the thing. As it gets colder I'll use it a couple times a week - usually reserving about half to freeze.

My husband actually suggested this exact idea, but our slow cooker is digital so when the outlet turns on you would need to turn on the settings :( I may look into a programmable one in the future, for now ours at least automatically goes on the warmer setting when it's done.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I keep meaning to try this too. I used to have a Crockpot that auto switched to warm when it was done, but I didn't like that the settings were limited to either 4 or 8 hours (I think). Sometimes I wanted 6 or 10!

Saw the recommendation about shepherd's pie - I've been meaning to try that with my family. Husband says he doesn't like it, but it is hamburger, some vegetables, and mashed potatoes... What's not to like?

I thought of a couple of websites for other ideas for you OP. Weelicious has a lot of kid friendly food - and specifically a section called Family Meals to try to get everyone to eat the same thing.

http://weelicious.com/family-meals/

Also, this is one of my favorite sites for crock pot recipes, and they have them classified a number of different ways, including ones with long cook time and kid favorites.

http://www.crockingirls.com/recipes/
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Busy week, but want good food go to idea:

I like good food, healthful--but loathe coming home late to have to create a meal and clean up the mess. On Sunday of a busy week I will plan on cooking

choose 2 proteins (ex: chicken, and fish) ( think 2+lbs at a time)
    --Sautee/Bake with onions garlic, herbs/seasoning of your taste
    --Put enough for dinner aside, store the rest in separate containers in the fridge.

Choose 2 starches ( pasta, rice, or farro)
    --Cook according to your taste ( I like to cook rice and farro in broth)
    --Put enough for dinner aside, store the rest in separate containers in the fridge.

Choose 3-4 veggies
    --Cut and clean(prep) all veggies

In one skillet add butter/olive oil, add your protein and veggies, and sautee until veggies are the desired texture...add starch into the sautee--add butter, or broth if you like sauce. Serve.

This can give you variations of 5 minute meals for 2-3 days. It's delicious, and everyone loves it!
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    BBQ MEATLOAF

( Really good !)

1 lb ground lean beef

1/2 cup bread crumbs

2 tbsp worchestershire sauce

3/4 BBQ sauce of your choice ( I like sweet n sticky )

2 tbsp. honey

1 tsp each salt and pepper

Toss all ingredients together in one bowl, reserving 1/4 cup BBQ to drizzle on baked meatloaf as soon as you pull out of oven.

Press into loaf pan ( not too firmly or it will be too dense )

Bake for 45 mins at 350

* Drizzle the 1/4 BBQ sauce over it right away after you take out of oven and let stand for 5 mins :happy:
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Crockpot is perfect if out of the house 10-11 hours. It means you can put the meat in frozen and let'er rip. I tend to do chicken breasts/thighs this way, they come out tender and delicious. Also, whole pork or beef roasts, etc.

I agree with you on starting from frozen, and also that this is the perfect amount of time for pork and beef roasts. I haven't had luck with chicken breasts in the crockpot for that long, I usually find them dry when I return.

I am actually trying today frozen chicken breasts (like 8 of them), a bag of frozen corn kernels, taco seasoning, juice of two limes, can of rotel, and cilantro. I'm having the babysitter turn it to warm when she gets there with my son, so I think it will be about 7.5 hours on low, which I hope will be ok.

I'm going to shred that and serve it tonight over rice ala Chipotle bowls, but will use the leftovers for enchilada filling for some freezer meals I need to make for some families going through tough times. I also use this filling for tortilla soup quite often.

My dinner last night turned out really well - the 7 hours on Low for the frozen chicken in the crockpot wasn't too long, then it sat on Warm for another hour or so till I got home and was able to shred it all up.

The whole batch:
    840dbe8d-2aa9-48e0-b42f-c4bda466288f_zps68215e5e.jpg

My serving last night:
    EF59A00A-D8C8-4434-9E36-1D25C3158A7A_zps9cccfadr.jpg

Oh and since this is about family dinners - my kids did eat it, which I thought they would but you never know. I let them make their own bowls so they liked spooning in the rice, pulling the chicken apart with their fingers, and then sprinkling the cheese on top with some sour cream. I think we will do this kind of meal more often...
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Crockpot is perfect if out of the house 10-11 hours. It means you can put the meat in frozen and let'er rip. I tend to do chicken breasts/thighs this way, they come out tender and delicious. Also, whole pork or beef roasts, etc.

I agree with you on starting from frozen, and also that this is the perfect amount of time for pork and beef roasts. I haven't had luck with chicken breasts in the crockpot for that long, I usually find them dry when I return.

I am actually trying today frozen chicken breasts (like 8 of them), a bag of frozen corn kernels, taco seasoning, juice of two limes, can of rotel, and cilantro. I'm having the babysitter turn it to warm when she gets there with my son, so I think it will be about 7.5 hours on low, which I hope will be ok.

I'm going to shred that and serve it tonight over rice ala Chipotle bowls, but will use the leftovers for enchilada filling for some freezer meals I need to make for some families going through tough times. I also use this filling for tortilla soup quite often.

My dinner last night turned out really well - the 7 hours on Low for the frozen chicken in the crockpot wasn't too long, then it sat on Warm for another hour or so till I got home and was able to shred it all up.

The whole batch:

My serving last night:

Oh and since this is about family dinners - my kids did eat it, which I thought they would but you never know. I let them make their own bowls so they liked spooning in the rice, pulling the chicken apart with their fingers, and then sprinkling the cheese on top with some sour cream. I think we will do this kind of meal more often...

This looks great! Throw in some black beans and this looks exactly like my burrito bowl from Chipotle!
  • WinoGelato
    Options

The whole batch:

My serving last night:

This looks great! Throw in some black beans and this looks exactly like my burrito bowl from Chipotle!

So funny you say that - exactly what I intended to add last night but forgot to get more black beans at the store!
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    Honestly I would just get a crockpot and get some recipes for soup, chili, etc or buy some stir fry or make my own stir fry. Tastes so good.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    Stir fries with rice or noodles only take 15-20 minutes depending on how much you have to prep. Same with fried rice.

There are so many slow cooker meals out there that would work as well.

Breakfast for dinner (eggs, hashbrowns, and fruit or pancakes for example)

Pasta is always good, fast, and versatile. Change the protein, vegetables, and sauce to get a variety.

Homemade pizza is awesome.

Only do once a month cooking if you have the freezer space. I don't. I wish I could but I swear they put in the smallest freezers they could in this apartment.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I don't know if this counts as quick because it baked for an hour, but it was super quick and easy to prep. I had seen it on Pinterest a long time ago and always kind of dismissed it, I didn't think it would be very good. I had to make some meals for friends going through some things right now though, so I decided to try this and make a pan for myself - it was so good, the whole family ate it!

In a 9x13 arrange cut up new potatoes, 4 or so chicken breasts, and whatever green vegetable you like (I used green beans). Sprinkle a packet of Good Seasons Italian Dressing (dry) over the top and then pour a melted stick of butter over the whole thing. Cover with foil and bake for an hour.

In the pan:
    f6f95b88f64e2c531f058118e707766e.jpg
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I`m in the same boat I have a 3year old and don`t get in until 1815 and leave for work at 0715, LO doesn`t eat with us at night as she`s at nursery FT, however she doesn`t go to bed until 1900 so we don`t even start cooking until 1930.

I tend to do a lot of fish, easy put in over for about 15 mins, with cous cous, rice veg etc, also stir frys, I also marinate things overnight, Ie Thai Pork chops, Korean beef, etc, All quick to cook when I get in. Or I slow cook something sort it in the morning then come back and just eat once LO is in bed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can make about anything in 20 minutes. Buy frozen veggies, they are ready in 5 minutes. For protein you can rotate with fish, chicken, chicken sausage... You can make baked potato fries in 20 minutes too. Tacos are great, just cook the meat for 10 minutes with seasoning then have everyone make their own. Breakfast for dinner. I agree with making a bunch of stuff on the week end and reheating it during the week (crockpot chicken, casseroles etc).