Changing a phone number

Options
Cardio4Cupcakes
Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
Has anyone on here ever changed their wireless cell number? I stupidly entered a drawing at the state fair and now I get 5-6 phone calls a week from random resorts wanting to send me on a timeshare info trip.

It's pretty annoying to say the least and I'm thinking of changing my phone number because of it. How does the process work? I have Verizon, if that matters.

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I've done it a couple times. They usually charge 10 bucks or so. Just call and tell them to change it, it's not a big deal. I can also go online and block certain #s, don't know if you have that option?
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've done it a couple times. They usually charge 10 bucks or so. Just call and tell them to change it, it's not a big deal. I can also go online and block certain #s, don't know if you have that option?

I do have that option, but it's always different numbers from various states :( Lesson learned!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Do not call registry can solve this, if they call after they get fines.
    It can take a few weeks before they get the notice but it works.

https://www.donotcall.gov/
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The power of Google…

Change Verizon Mobile Number FAQs

General Information
    1. How do I change my mobile number online? (Only an Account Owner or Account Manager can change a mobile number online. )

To change your mobile number online:
    a. Go to the Change Mobile Number page in My Verizon.
    b. If you have multiple lines on your account, select the mobile number you want to change and click Next.
    c. Select Get a new number.
    d. Enter the ZIP code for the area you live in or select a city and state for your new number from the dropdown menus.
    Note: You also have the option of porting in (i.e., transferring) an existing number from another service provider. For more information on porting, visit our Local Number Portability FAQs.
    e. Click Next.
    f. Select an area code and exchange number from the dropdown. Note: You will automatically be assigned the last 4 digits for your new number based on what's available.
    g. Click Next.
    h. Select a date for the changes to take effect and click Next.

Note: If you select to have the change effective today or pick a specific day before the first day of your next bill cycle, your bill will be prorated. If you don’t select the change to take effect today, it will take place at midnight ET of the selected day.
    i. Review your changes and click Submit.

Note: A confirmation page will display with further information and next steps.
    You’ve successfully changed your mobile number online.

2. How much does it cost to change my number?
    Changing your number is a free service if completed online. It will cost $15 if you do it by calling Customer Service at (800) 922-0204.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You can use Google Voice for signing up for something like that. Check it as you want, or you can set it to forward certain callers to your real number.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options

I wish my stupid wireless company only charged $10. Thanks for the $35 charge bell.