ugh diet hunger

Options
the thirst is real.

today's my first day back on a legit(ish?) diet. i just sat there with my healthy-choice meal, and ate every last grain of rice. and i'm still hungry.

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Eat more?

What are your stats and how much are you eating?
  • purplemama28
    purplemama28 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know what your feeling it happens to me alot!! ;-( I trying drinking water or keep myself busy
  • DavidxMFP
    Options
    water sounds like a good idea!

athijade, its just due to it being by first day back to dieting. i've eaten enough. i just want more. crave more.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The cravings will only go away if you do not give in to them. Wait a few days and it will get better.

Have you thought of supplementing the Healthy Choice meal with some raw veggies or a salad? Maybe one frozen meal is not enough volume to fill you up.
  • schulersam
    schulersam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down when you eat, put your fork down between bites, etc. It takes a few minutes before your stomach sends the full signal to your brain and we often overeat in that moment. The water is good, so is flavoured tea. Eat food that is work, like picking the grapes off the stem one at a time, or cutting your apple into bite size slices as you eat. Good for you for getting back to the diet...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Those Healthy Choice/Lean Cuisine/frozen meals have never filled me up. I don't know what it is about them (not enough protein, maybe), but I feel like I can get more food and feel more satisfied making my own food. Might be worth looking into something different for lunch.
  • Kammy84
    Kammy84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing as purplemama. Today I had a large fruit salad for lunch and because I'm trying to get my water intake up I had a cup of water before. When I was done I still felt hungry so I had another cup of water and I feel so full now. It doesn't change the fact that I really really want some chicken fingers and spicy fries from my regular lunch place. But I feel so full I probably wouldn't be able to eat it anyway. Water does the trick.
  • DavidxMFP
    Options
    the dominos ads on this site arent helping. lol.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Proteeeeeeeeein it up!
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I chew gum and drink water.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    the dominos ads on this site arent helping. lol.

Ads on MFP are based on your browsing history, which is why mine are always for Payless. Stop stalking pizza. It will only make you hungrier!
    :tongue:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Add a big pile of vegetables to that healthy choice. Seriously. If you're eating the broccoli and chicken, add another cup of steamed broccoli.

There's lots of ways to eat more food, and feel full.

Granted, I'd dump the "Healthy Choice" [sic] altogether, but that's just me. If you're gonna eat em, add more to em.

Or, just bring a big pile of vegetables with you and have it on the side.

Add some cheese.

Add some peanut butter....

ie: add vegetables, fat or protein to what is probably a pretty carb heavy (and therefore not satisfying) frozen dish.

Good luck!

ETA: And, of course, make sure you're eating enough. Follow the MFP guidelines, and don't try to speed things up by under eating.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day?
    Are you eating back?
    How much exercise?

Get some friends and let them look at your diary. Oerhaos if you change what you eat then you will eat healthier or just less hungry.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eat more healthy, fresh food. You can eat an awful lot of it for so few calories.

The cravings will almost completely go away once you're used to not indulging your every whim. Promise! :)
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    I am new to the process (about two weeks in) and I have found water (often with lemon, either real, or a drop of essential oil, or a squirt from real lemon juice from the plastic lemon in the produce section) and gum and black chia seeds help tremendously!!!!!!! I have been doing this for less than two weeks and now eat a can of green beans or a small box of frozen veggies for lunch, (I do add a pat of butter and salt and pepper, sometimes garlic) and one tablespoon of black chia seeds. Just on a spoon, in my mouth, gulp of water and swallow, follow with a glass of water. And I'm SHOCKED to tell you that I'm satisfied. That's enough, and honestly, two weeks ago, that wouldn't have been NEAR enough for me! I used to eat a dinner for lunch and a dinner for dinner. Now I eat veggies for lunch and chia seeds and a much smaller dinner and I'm good. Look at my diary! I can't tell you how much of a change this is for me, but it's the truth. I have found, (this is odd, but true) the same amount of veggies hot is more satisfying than the same amount cold. I don't know if it will work for you, but keep trying things until you find what works for you. Good luck and best wishes.
  • neighborskp
    Options
    Add a big pile of vegetables to that healthy choice. Seriously. If you're eating the broccoli and chicken, add another cup of steamed broccoli.

There's lots of ways to eat more food, and feel full.

Granted, I'd dump the "Healthy Choice" [sic] altogether, but that's just me. If you're gonna eat em, add more to em.

Or, just bring a big pile of vegetables with you and have it on the side.

Add some cheese.

Add some peanut butter....

ie: add vegetables, fat or protein to what is probably a pretty carb heavy (and therefore not satisfying) frozen dish.

Good luck!

ETA: And, of course, make sure you're eating enough. Follow the MFP guidelines, and don't try to speed things up by under eating.

I agree with all of this. If I ever have a frozen meal I usually add chopped cabbage, etc., saute it up then dice up the meal, mix it all in and put it in a nice bowl. I love a big warm bowl of goodness :) - If all I ate was the meal - I'd lick the plastic container and then go look in the cupboard.
  • DavidxMFP
    Options
    yea i really need to eat more vegies. i'm sooo lazy about prep though. maybe i should buy those steam bags of nothing but veggies.
  • ShyGirl1978sm
    ShyGirl1978sm Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies and plenty of water work for me. I'm in my 3rd week and it's still hard but it's getting easier :)

Stick veggies on the side of everything. Lots to fill you up for not a lot of calories.

Good luck!
  • mckaytobe
    mckaytobe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    honestly, eat some fat. This is what worked for me. I was always starving and I was eating all the 'right' things...veges, fruit, lean meat, oats etc. I was always starving. Now I eat 2 pieces of bacon and an egg for breakfast and I am full til 1pm (I eat breakfast at 6am). It's actually less calories than I used to have for breakfast too. I used to have porridge, fruit, yogurt.

I know it seems like you shouldn't be eating fat when you're on a diet but its what satisfies you and then you don't overeat or feel hungry throughout the day

Good luck
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    honestly, eat some fat. This is what worked for me. I was always starving and I was eating all the 'right' things...veges, fruit, lean meat, oats etc. I was always starving. Now I eat 2 pieces of bacon and an egg for breakfast and I am full til 1pm (I eat breakfast at 6am). It's actually less calories than I used to have for breakfast too. I used to have porridge, fruit, yogurt.

I know it seems like you shouldn't be eating fat when you're on a diet but its what satisfies you and then you don't overeat or feel hungry throughout the day

Good luck

Fat is great for you. It's one of the nutrients that helps you feel full (along with protein and fiber) and it's also important for your health to get enough of it in your diet. Which is a long way of saying I agree! :)