Resetting metabolism

Options
Okay so after months of unintentionally over exercising & undereating ive damaged my metabolism. So I've been researching how to do a metabolic reset for a while I also went to my doctors to confirm it was my metabolism and not something serious that was causing my symptoms and I've figured out that my TDEE is around 2100-2300. I started gradually upping my calorie intake last Saturday so far I'm up to 1600-1700 a day but my question is Ive only worked out 2 times so far this week..is that a problem? Am I suppose to exercise during my metabolic reset ..I'm planning on going the gym tomorrow & Saturday. I'm just confused on how much I should exercise and what kind of exercise I need to do seeing as I used to exercise 6 days a week burning around 500-600 everytime doing cardio which has resulted in metabolic damage! will I gain all my weight back by not exercising like I used to? Please help

Replies

• VitoFoSho
    Options
    Your TDEE is partially determined by how often you are working out......working out 2 days a week your TDEE would be less than if you worked out 6 days a week. Figure out your TDEE once you know how often you'll be working out, and go from there.
  • JZ_Evolution_Mark2
    JZ_Evolution_Mark2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes workout moderately. You should be teachig your body how you will be treating it and what to expect. Its not like reseting the clock on the microwave... You are teaching your body.. Reset is a BAD way to describe what you're trying to accomplish
  • ncsuser
    ncsuser Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to reset anything. If you were exercising too much and eating too little, just correct that and carry on.
  • kellycarbone14
    Options
    Some blogs I've read say to stop cardio completely & lift instead but I don't know how that will turn out because since around june I would go to the gym 5-6 days a week spend 1 to 2 hours of just doing cardio so I am just really confused
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Some blogs I've read say to stop cardio completely & lift instead but I don't know how that will turn out because since around june I would go to the gym 5-6 days a week spend 1 to 2 hours of just doing cardio so I am just really confused
    What are your goals? 1-2 hours of cardio is fine if you have marathons in your future, but if you want to be a figure model, it's probably unnecessary to do so much. If your goal is simply to be healthy or look good naked, 1-2 hours of cardio is for sure more then needed. I doubt you actually damaged your metabolism. You are probably just burned out from doing tons of activity and not eating enough. Just slowly up your calories every week until you hit maintenance and then start manipulating them based on your goal. Both your diet and training are very dependent on your goals so please share them with us so we can better assist you, otherwise everyone is just guessing.
  • kellycarbone14
    Options
    I basically just want to be healthy, maintain my weightloss, maybe lose a few more pounds & look good.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I basically just want to be healthy, maintain my weightloss, maybe lose a few more pounds & look good.
    Well then all that cardio is really overkill unless you enjoy it a lot. I would think a moderate calorie deficit, a few days of weight training, and a few days of cardio should be more then enough to reach your goals.