Low Carb or Low Fat Help !!!!

Hi !!!

I was just wondering which diet helped you lose fat/weight not the quickest but in general while doing no exercise. I know there benefits from both but from what I think is that if you go on a low Carb Diet I wouldn't be storing any fats and would only be eating carbohydrates right before a workout so my insulin response is as minimum as i want it to be.

WHATS YOUR OPINION ????????

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Whatever will help you keep your calorie deficit. That's it. Me? I eat low carb. You? I don't know.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Restricting calories + low-er carb works for me. I replace the carb calories with lean protein and healthy fats.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    my opinion is that you pick a nutrition plan that you believe YOU can follow for the long haul. EVERY nutrition plan where you eat at a caloric deficit will lead to fat loss. Yes, some diets lead to a faster loss earlier...but its not all fat you're losing and the weight loss slows down. When I didn't have so much knowledge, in 2005, I did Atkins with the sole purpose of "losing weight". Hey, it worked....until I just couldn't stand the low carb lifestyle and ditched it after 7-8 months. Then I gained back the weight. Beginning in 2011, I started researching more and decided to learn how to eat healthy instead of following any particular diet. I eat mostly lean proteins, healthy fats and carbs with a low glycemic index for these reasons: (a) these foods help keep you fuller longer; (b) these foods provide the nutrients your body needs, and you're not sacrificing a food group for no reason; (c) avoiding carbs with a higher GI value means that you won't have insulin spikes...and insulin is the hormone that will store your food as body fat...so the foods I focus on are more likely to cause my body to process the food as energy rather than to store it as body fat; and (d) our bodies were created to function best with real food rather than science experiments (processed foods....processed foods are basically carbs with a high GI value, which is the biggest cause of fat storage).
  • thesaraaah
    thesaraaah Posts: 17 Member
    I've lost around 50 lbs by just counting calories while still eating normal food... Pizza, cookies, soda, steak, cheese.You name it, I ate it and lost weight/kept if off. The only thing I paid attention to was making sure I was getting my protein to minimize muscle loss. Oh and I'm a lazy sob that worked out once during the whole journey.
  • Low-carb -- 100%. I've done both (low-fat for about 6 months, and low-carb for the past year and a half). I was hungry, had constant cravings, binged often, and only lost about 10 pounds in the 6 months in which I stuck to a low-fat diet. Within 2 months of switching to a low-carb lifestyle, my hunger/cravings subsided, I stopped binging (and no longer felt the urge to), and lost more weight in 2 months of low-carbing than I had in 6 months of a low-fat diet (plus it was much less difficult). My mood has balanced itself out, I have more energy, much of my brain fog has subsided, and I look/feel better than ever.

Low-carbing changed my life, made it so much easier to kick bad habits, and impacted me/my life/my health so positively that I became a nutrition consultant because of it. I've helped hundreds of people lose weight and improve their health/well-being with a low-carb way of eating -- and many have told me that low-carbing literally saved their lives. I cannot advocate for low-carb enough!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Hi !!!

I was just wondering which diet helped you lose fat/weight not the quickest but in general while doing no exercise. I know there benefits from both but from what I think is that if you go on a low Carb Diet I wouldn't be storing any fats and would only be eating carbohydrates right before a workout so my insulin response is as minimum as i want it to be.

WHATS YOUR OPINION ????????

Why do you have to pick one or the other?