Teen son interested in steroids

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    OP here.
    Wow! I obviously know nothing about steroids. I thought they were illegal!

My son is not going for any kind of athletic scholarship or athletic prowess. He just wants some muscles to show all those pretty girls at school. He's tall and handsome (of course, says his mom) and wants the muscles to finish off the good looks. :wink:

This is a whole new thing for me as a mom. I don't want him getting all his info from his teenage friends. So, I will be digging around the web looking for reliable info. Any more site/article suggestions welcome! I'll also be taking him in for a scheduled check-up soon and hope he'll ask his doctor for info.
    More than sure any doc (except one looking to peddle steroids for extra cash) will say that he DOESN'T need steroids to increase muscle mass.
    Just for you info, it's not the drug that makes one get more muscle. One could take steroids an not gain much "appreciable" muscle. He'd still have to get on a workout program of progressive overload lifting, eat in a calorie surplus and get enough rest to recover. Now he can still do all the of 3 I mentioned and get more muscular, but steroids (if used correctly) just enhances it more.
    My opinion is that he doesn't need them. As mention, some hard work in the gym, some good nutrition and he'll gain. Let his natural test (which is close to peak right now) do all the work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Watched a funny video on this the other night - might appeal to a teenager while highlighting the downsides.

(Sorry I use the YouTube app, not sure how to get links :/)

Brosciencelife - should I take steroids? (or something to that effect)
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    OP here.
    Wow! I obviously know nothing about steroids. I thought they were illegal!

My son is not going for any kind of athletic scholarship or athletic prowess. He just wants some muscles to show all those pretty girls at school. He's tall and handsome (of course, says his mom) and wants the muscles to finish off the good looks. :wink:

This is a whole new thing for me as a mom. I don't want him getting all his info from his teenage friends. So, I will be digging around the web looking for reliable info. Any more site/article suggestions welcome! I'll also be taking him in for a scheduled check-up soon and hope he'll ask his doctor for info.

I think really the only way to dissuade a teen is to convince him how annoying taking steroids for a long time can be. Once he realizes that most of his progress will be lost between steroid "cycles", the appeal goes down fast. Ask him if he wants to risk losing natural testosterone production?

Young guys get this idea, more like a fantasy, that they'll take a few pills for 2 months, gain 30 lbs of muscle, reach their goal body, and then they are done and can stop. It never works that way. ever.

Tell him to wait until he's 21. If you say NEVER do them...he probably won't like that idea and won't listen. But it's easier to convince him to wait a few years. Have him research with you for a couple years, then he can make a decision. He may likely change his mind by then

Some of them are legal. There are OTC (called prohormones and designer steroids) pills and most likely what his friends are using. They have harmful affects on the liver and the gains made while on these orals are fleeting. Very quick gains that go away just as quickly.
  • LanceKarcher
    LanceKarcher Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I for one am shocked and astounded that so many on this list seem to take such cavalier attitude on this subject. Anabolic androgenic steroids are prescription only medications, and therefore it IS illegal to be using them in the fashion being discussed. No responsible physician in their right mind would ever prescribe these steroids for the scenario you have proposed. There obviously is a reason why they are a banned substance in this country. All pharmaceuticals are going to have side effects and risk vs. reward should always be considered in all circumstances with any medication. It seems to me that wanting to be able to have a shortcut in order to be attractive to high school girls is not a very good reason.
    Consider for example if your son develops liver injury (very common), acne requiring other medications, hair loss, testicular atrophy, or a personality change whereby he starts punching holes in the walls of your home. By then it may be too late for him to go back once he is addicted to the other so called positive effects.
    I think education is the key, and incidentally the girls that would be attracted to this is probably not the kind of girls he wants to be involved with for the long term.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    QQ

Thanks morality police. You do realize that he'll use them or not, and the proper approach is the one being advised?

Additionally, they've been used for decades, and it's been working just fine for those taking it. Some fall off and go off suggested dosing, but you have people like that with everything.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Shocked!
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was going to stay off this topic, but oh well. Testicular atrophy is a real issue so if he loves his boys he will not consider it until he's exhausted natural methods described earlier.

That said, if he's doing it for women's attention, he might be disappointed. I LOVE really big guys (last boyfriend was 6'4" 280 pounds of solid muscle). At first I worried that other women would approach him. Everyone loves big muscles right? He said a lot of women were intimidated or turned off by that level of muscularity. Many women prefer fit or even cut, but not to the steroid level.

Good luck! You're lucky he's open to discussing this with you!
  • trojan_bb
    Options
    I for one am shocked and astounded that so many on this list seem to take such cavalier attitude on this subject. Anabolic androgenic steroids are prescription only medications, and therefore it IS illegal to be using them in the fashion being discussed. No responsible physician in their right mind would ever prescribe these steroids for the scenario you have proposed. There obviously is a reason why they are a banned substance in this country. All pharmaceuticals are going to have side effects and risk vs. reward should always be considered in all circumstances with any medication. It seems to me that wanting to be able to have a shortcut in order to be attractive to high school girls is not a very good reason.
    Consider for example if your son develops liver injury (very common), acne requiring other medications, hair loss, testicular atrophy, or a personality change whereby he starts punching holes in the walls of your home. By then it may be too late for him to go back once he is addicted to the other so called positive effects.
    I think education is the key, and incidentally the girls that would be attracted to this is probably not the kind of girls he wants to be involved with for the long term.

No one on here is recommending AAS to a teen. Illogical legislation is irrelevant. Not all steroids are illegal and a many of the steroids used by teens are legal in the US. GNC used to even sell them. I can find two dozen brands on Amazon.com right now. No one said a doc would prescribe them for this case. livery injury is NOT very common and the personality change is not even supported by research. The actual reason they are banned in this country is not even because of health risks but rather sports and congressional involvement in pro sport leagues.

The comment on girls and attraction is ridiculous. and testicular atrophy....big deal. that is like the last side effect anyone worries about. There are actual side effects that make a difference...ball size does not. If you are educated enough to make a rational decision to use or not use, you are also educated enough to know how to prevent that.

Education is the key, yes. Telling a kid something is illegal is not exactly an effective method.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    bump

for interesting points of view I've never considered on this subject...
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options

Amen! These are all the things I WANTED to rattle off to him (while I wagged my finger in his face) when he started mentioning it. I'm glad I didn't do the 'freaking-out-mom-nag' thing, but inside I was definitely coming up with my speech.

I certainly do NOT want him on these things -- but my hope is that HE won't want them either. So I need some info in my mom arsenal.

I, too, am surprised that people on this board use steroids. I had no idea they were mainstream.

He'll be at the doctor next week, and he has a good rapport with the doc, so I hope that will give him so good info.
  • 7elizamae
    Options
    I was going to stay off this topic, but oh well. Testicular atrophy is a real issue so if he loves his boys he will not consider it until he's exhausted natural methods described earlier.

That said, if he's doing it for women's attention, he might be disappointed. I LOVE really big guys (last boyfriend was 6'4" 280 pounds of solid muscle). At first I worried that other women would approach him. Everyone loves big muscles right? He said a lot of women were intimidated or turned off by that level of muscularity. Many women prefer fit or even cut, but not to the steroid level.

Good luck! You're lucky he's open to discussing this with you!

Very happy to see that testicular atrophy (?!?!) is a possible side effect. Thank you pscarolina for that nugget of info!

That ought to rattle him a bit. That, and the price someone mentioned earlier. The boy is flat broke half the time and I certainly won't be purchasing steroids FOR him, so maybe I don't have too much to worry about. :wink:
  • taivazian
    Options
    PROS
    1) Muscle mass will be gained if working out
    2) You will become stronger in the short term
    3) If playing a sport, you will be hyperaggressive and dominate the other kids
    4) Too much testosterone will be reabsorbed as estrogen and it can cause gynecomastia (breasts)
    5) Weight gain will stop

CONS
    1) Tell him his testicles with shrink to half the size!
    2) That if he doesn't work out while taking them he will get fat! the opposite effect he wants
    3) He will start to look like the wolfman, Hair all over his body!
    4) He will overreact to minor issues (prone to anger, fights, etc)
    5) Blood Pressure will rise if cardio is not done.
    6) The long term effect will cause his body to break down as he gets older.

let him know these effects!
  • trojan_bb
    Options
    Duplicate
  • trojan_bb
    Options

Amen! These are all the things I WANTED to rattle off to him (while I wagged my finger in his face) when he started mentioning it. I'm glad I didn't do the 'freaking-out-mom-nag' thing, but inside I was definitely coming up with my speech.

I certainly do NOT want him on these things -- but my hope is that HE won't want them either. So I need some info in my mom arsenal.

I, too, am surprised that people on this board use steroids. I had no idea they were mainstream.

He'll be at the doctor next week, and he has a good rapport with the doc, so I hope that will give him so good info.

Have him listen to vets on some steroid message boards and get valid side effects

As soon as you mention the things mentioned in the post you quoted, you'll lose all credibility with your son. A few minutes of googling and he'll have enough info to combat those claims.

What do you think a boy cares more about? Balls shrinking for 4 weeks and returning to normal or 20 lbs more mass?

Instead, tell him he'll diminish future muscle gains by using early, ruin future natural hormone production, possibly sperm health, have to inject forever unless he's lucky. And the monetary cost. Possible heart health issues when hes 50. Those are the things that matter to young men
  • 7elizamae
    Options
    My teenage son has mentioned steroids to me several times. Says his friends know about "safe" ways to use them short-term and get long-term results, that lots of kids use them, etc etc.

My son is at a healthy weight and active and has a somewhat healthy diet (for a teenager).

Obviously I do not want him to use steroids for any reason.

But, rather than just wagging my finger at him and forbidding it (very tempting!), I'd like to offer him some resources about health and fitness in general.

So, can anyone recommend health and fitness sites appropriate for teenage boys?

There are no short term methods that give good results nor provide safe results for a teen.

Tell him to make a post on a steroid message board (professionalmuscle, muscular development, etc). I'm serious. Ask for advice there. A hundred vets will tell him why it's a terrible idea under 20, what the LONG TERM impact is, how in order to get lasting results he has to COMMIT FOR LIFE.

They will give him a dose of reality. It's the only way.

You don't hop on a few steroid cycles and stop. The progress will all be lost. You either lose it all or commit for life. A teenager can not and should not make that decision. He needs to wait a few years and really decide for himself.

A teenager experimenting with a few steroid cycles stands a very good chance of ruining natural test production. Then he has to take steroids for the rest of his life, either administered by a doctor or self administered. that means twice weekly injections. Plus monitoring blood pressure, hormonal balances, etc. It's a huge decision for a teenager to make.

If he decides lifting is a waste of time 5 years from now...guess what, he still gets to inject twice weekly for another 60 years.

Yikes! Thanks for this. I will send him toward those message boards tonight.
  • taivazian
    Options
    also in my previous post i was speaking of testosterone, all steroids are some form of hormone.
  • 7elizamae
    Options

Have him listen to vets on some steroid message boards and get valid side effects

As soon as you mention the things mentioned in the post you quoted, you'll lose all credibility with your son. A few minutes of googling and he'll have enough info to combat those claims.

What do you think a boy cares more about? Balls shrinking for 4 weeks and returning to normal or 20 lbs more mass?

Instead, tell him he'll diminish future muscle gains by using early, ruin future natural hormone production, possibly sperm health, have to inject forever unless he's lucky. And the monetary cost. Possible heart health issues when hes 50. Those are the things that matter to young men

You're right that I'll lose credibility with him if I harp at him with scary factoids. He is a kid who makes up his own mind -- and I like him that way. I like your idea about googling for info -- I'll be sending him toward those boards you mentioned in a previous post.

I really love my son -- he's a great kid and generally pretty responsible. This sort of came out of right field at me! I'm hoping he can make a good decision if he has good information.