Strength Training Routine --- Need Help Developing One

Options
Hi everyone and thanks for taking the time to read my post/help out.

I've been doing pure cardio since I've started my weightloss journey and feel I need to add strength training to my daily routine.

But... I don't know where to start. I go to the gym everyday except weekends. I have access to full range of dumbbells, kettle bells, rowing machine, leg press, etc.

Does anyone have some tips to adding in strength training?

Thanks in advance!!! ????????

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You should do a proven beginner strength program. Most beginner routines are 3 times a week, with a full rest day between. They are usually full-body routines, that is, you work every muscle every workout. They will also add resistance aggressively, to take advantage of newbie gains. It's common to add weight every time you workout.

Some good programs:

New Rules of Lifting
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Strong Curves
    all-pro beginner

Any program you follow should have a progression plan - a schedule or strategy for adding weight. It should also have a plan for when you stall - sometimes called de-loading. If a strength program doesn't have a progession or stall plan, find a different program.

At the very beginning, be super careful about using proper form. Learning good form now means you don't have to correct bad habits later.

I'd recommend reading "Starting Stregth" and one of the "New Rules" books. SS has great explanations on good form, and New Rules has good background info. Then I'd follow either Stronglifts, Strong Curves, or all-pro programs, which I think are easier programs to follow.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    check out bodybuilding.com and muscleandstrength.com, they have a ton of info and programs for all levels.
  • PrincessRina112
    PrincessRina112 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I'm going to check out all of those programs and see which works best for me.

Do you have any personal experience with these?
  • kensteven
    Options
    Check Hasfit.com. They have all sorts of free strength training activities
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I'm going to check out all of those programs and see which works best for me.

I started with Stronglifts, read Starting Strength (has a similar program), and moved to 5/3/1. All great programs.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I would start with stronglifts, nice simple plan. You can get in and out of the gym in an hour or so, you won't be grinding out a three hour session.

IMO over at bodybuilding.com, you may run into a lot of split routines. When you are just starting out, I think it would be better to keep it short and simple. That is just my opinion though.
  • bridgegetsfit
    bridgegetsfit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    workoutlabs.com has workouts online and you can print it out, some of them are free. So check it out, I'm currently using a kettlebell workout I found on there/
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options

I started with Stronglifts, read Starting Strength (has a similar program), and moved to 5/3/1. All great programs.

+1
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options

Yeah, I have personal experience with all of them. At their cores, there's a lot of similarity between them, but there are a lot of differences in the margins and less important details. And they are all presented by their authors very differently.

I think the small differences are important for personal motivation. A lot of women like the extra glute work in Strong Curves. A lot of teenage boys like the big lift/power lifting focus in Starting Strength. But you're not going to become a bikini model or a powerlifting champion on any beginner program.

A beginner program just gets you to the point where you can choose a more specialized program for reaching your specific goals. Every one of these programs build a good strength foundation and familiarize you with the important lifts. And best of all, after 2 or 3 months, you will be much, much stronger!
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Get a personal trainer a couple of days a week for a couple of months.