Thin Privilege?

Options
2»

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in thin privilege.

That said I don't believe in confirmation bias either.

Or cognitive bias.

Or the Halo Effect.

Or the Affect Heuristic.

I do believe in Santa though...
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    i knew this thread was going to get really stupid real fast

the article is awesome though i like that she does not get all whiny claiming to be oppressed by fat people like most thin people who write articles on this do

i have gone from over 300 pounds to where i am now and with out a secound doubt thin privilege is real and fat shaming is so engrained in society it is a casual acceptable thing

skinny shaming is no where near the same level

I'll stand up and call BS on this one. It's completely acceptable in public to tell a thin girl to "go eat a cheeseburger" in front of everyone, and then laugh about it. If I were to say to an overweight person that she should stop eating cheeseburgers in front of everyone, I'd be slaughtered. It's much more acceptable to thin shame. I see it and feel it all the time. Every time a thin girl comes on the television someone has a comment about it, or there's a Facebook meme everyone has comments about it, or people feel free to make comments to me personally.

Kindness toward people should be universal, independent of gender, size or anything else. i try to practice this in my own life. I smile at everyone in public, open doors for people, and just in general be nice. It shouldn't matter whether people are thin or pretty or women or anything else. Shaming is ridiculous and needs to stop.

so you think you can call BS on my experiences? lol no

i suffered from anorexia as a teenager and was rail thin the way i was treated as a over 300 pound women is sooooooooo much more horrendous then how i was as a rail thin teenager its not even comparable

honestly thinking you can compare a "eat a cheeseburger" or some harsh comments about the thin pretty girl to the way fat people are treated in society is pathetic , ridiculous and it needs to stop

You need to realize that different comments/behaviors affect people in different ways.

You can't just say that just because you weren't hurt when you were thin, nobody else is or was.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    i knew this thread was going to get really stupid real fast

the article is awesome though i like that she does not get all whiny claiming to be oppressed by fat people like most thin people who write articles on this do

i have gone from over 300 pounds to where i am now and with out a secound doubt thin privilege is real and fat shaming is so engrained in society it is a casual acceptable thing

skinny shaming is no where near the same level

I'll stand up and call BS on this one. It's completely acceptable in public to tell a thin girl to "go eat a cheeseburger" in front of everyone, and then laugh about it. If I were to say to an overweight person that she should stop eating cheeseburgers in front of everyone, I'd be slaughtered. It's much more acceptable to thin shame. I see it and feel it all the time. Every time a thin girl comes on the television someone has a comment about it, or there's a Facebook meme everyone has comments about it, or people feel free to make comments to me personally.

Kindness toward people should be universal, independent of gender, size or anything else. i try to practice this in my own life. I smile at everyone in public, open doors for people, and just in general be nice. It shouldn't matter whether people are thin or pretty or women or anything else. Shaming is ridiculous and needs to stop.

so you think you can call BS on my experiences? lol no

i suffered from anorexia as a teenager and was rail thin the way i was treated as a over 300 pound women is sooooooooo much more horrendous then how i was as a rail thin teenager its not even comparable

honestly thinking you can compare a "eat a cheeseburger" or some harsh comments about the thin pretty girl to the way fat people are treated in society is pathetic , ridiculous and it needs to stop

I'm calling BS on the idea that one type of shaming is worse than another. Read the end of what I wrote. All shaming is wrong and everyone needs to be treated well regardless of appearance, gender, sexual preference or anything else.

People make judgements about people without knowing anything about the people they are judging. When people judge me for being thin and tell me to eat a cheeseburger, what they don't know is that I have cancer and struggle daily to maintain my weight. So it is hurtful to have them judge me for being thin, since it is something beyond my control. This type of thing is why I do my best not to judge anyone for their physicality. There is so much more to a person than physical appearance.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    It's funny how people demand that we have to care when someone else is offended.

Few people actually respond and satisfy that demand in real life. So no need to worry.

People will argue ad nauseum, but nothing really changes. People are people.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Possibly one of the worst articles I've read disguised as "thoughtful"

Thin is not privilege, it's work and sacrifice. People don't judge you better for being thin -- in fact, people with more mass, who are mistaken for being older, often are higher earners than others their same age who look younger/more junior because of their smaller size.

Thin is not privilege on an airplane. Thin people pay more per pound even though their contribution to fuel consumption is less. (unless of course they make up for it by packing heavy suitcases, in which case, they too get charged for excess weight).

Thin is not privilege when shopping for clothing. They don't even make women's clothing in a small enough size for thin women, and size inflation (e.g., size 0 fitting those who would have been a size 6) makes it impossible for thin women to pick up something off the rack and have it fit without alteration.

There are jokes about everyone, and I can't think of a single fat joke... so I'm not sure how "widely accepted" these are... and I go to a lot of comedy clubs so you'd think I might know at least one if they are so popular.

Guess what -- anything outside of "normal" can be viewed negatively, and the definition of "normal" varies across every culture, region, period in time and social circle... this article did a great job of stereotyping one view of "normal" when "normal" is hardly universal. What about places where thin = unattractive? Throughout history we've had plump = wealthy, desirable, etc. whether it was healthy or not. This article does a great job at creating a narrow mindset and demonstrating shortsightedness when approaching a much broader topic than a myth of "thin privilege"
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's funny how people demand that we have to care when someone else is offended.

Few people actually respond and satisfy that demand in real life. So no need to worry.

People will argue ad nauseum, but nothing really changes. People are people.

Ideas do change the world. So does winning hearts and minds. (Arguing not so much though...)

It can be as effective as chaining yourself to railings or throwing yourself in front of the King's carriage.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in thin privilege.

That said I don't believe in confirmation bias either.

Or cognitive bias.

Or the Halo Effect.

Or the Affect Heuristic.

I do believe in Santa though...
    QFT. It's a weird sort of thread where Salem is one of the people I agree most with. That being said, the article linked to had many flaws.

For one thing, it confuses genuine social oppression (such as being scoffed at for eating fries) with unfortunate but rather justified consequences of obesity (such as higher rates for plane seats) and experiences that are common to the entire human race (such as romantic rejection).

For another, it turns it into a gender issue without truly giving reasons for it. This is particularly funny since obese men and women do have different experiences, but everything she mentions as thin privilege is common to all obese people.

Cliffs : 5/10, has some points but deeply flawed
  • ToughHippieChick
    ToughHippieChick Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Thank you sociology majors for bastardizing a concept and spreading it all over the internet.

Hey now. Don't be blaming sociology. :cry: Some sociologists are good decent people who don't buy into the popular bully/victim dichotomy of American existence and expand their scope of research to include topics that fall outside Marxist conflict theory. :wink:

:flowerforyou:
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

I don't really think anyone is asking you to care, or give a **** for that matter, but more or less, be respectful. Honestly, we should respect the dignity of every human being-- it is the right thing to do. If we want others to be good to us, we should, in turn, be good to them. It's good common sense. Don't go around making rude comments about someone's weight (over/average/under), height, race, color, religion/lack there of, ect. Do I wish privilege of any sort didn't exist? Absolutely. To say that it doesn't, is simply turning a blind eye and saying, "well, it's not happening to me, so it's not my problem." Much like those starving children over in Africa. It's not happening to me, I'm not the one who's hungry. It's no my problem. If *you* (general) aren't the one who's feeling the affects, often times you're (general) are blind to the fact that it goes on, or simply complacent in your (general) life, that you (general) just don't feel the need to do anything about it.

Truly, I challenge anyone who doesn't think that privilege(s) in our society exist. Take one hour out of your day- any time that you have free time. Go out and people watch. Don't speak to anyone. Simply watch. I want you to make it a point to watch people of different races, different sizes (overweight/average/underweight), different ages. Go to your local shopping mall or boutique, and watch how these type of people are treated. Take notes. Go to a cafe or restaurant. Do the same thing. Make sure you're in a busy spot where you'll be able to see a variety of people. Just take time, and watch. Say nothing to no one. Go with an open mind. You may find yourself with a different perspective on how things are in society, and a desire to make a change, starting with yourself.
  • sarahjane135
    sarahjane135 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    But it doesn't address how frequently someone who is thin is bullied for it... Told to eat a cheeseburger or asked if they are anorexic. If they are working for it, then they experience a lot of negative feedback from people who haven't gotten the same results. Or if they aren't somehow it makes it ok for chubby friends to tease them "in good fun?"

I get what the author is saying.... Thin is just considered beautiful somewhat universally and maybe fat is not. But with all the love yourself even if you're fat stuff going around, they've really managed to encourage body shaming of smaller women too. Especially when the smaller woman doesn't have pronounced curves.

^^exactly
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I don't really think anyone is asking you to care, or give a **** for that matter, but more or less, be respectful. Honestly, we should respect the dignity of every human being-- it is the right thing to do. If we want others to be good to us, we should, in turn, be good to them. It's good common sense. Don't go around making rude comments about someone's weight (over/average/under), height, race, color, religion/lack there of, ect. Do I wish privilege of any sort didn't exist? Absolutely. To say that it doesn't, is simply turning a blind eye and saying, "well, it's not happening to me, so it's not my problem." Much like those starving children over in Africa. It's not happening to me, I'm not the one who's hungry. It's no my problem. If *you* (general) aren't the one who's feeling the affects, often times you're (general) are blind to the fact that it goes on, or simply complacent in your (general) life, that you (general) just don't feel the need to do anything about it.

Truly, I challenge anyone who doesn't think that privilege(s) in our society exist. Take one hour out of your day- any time that you have free time. Go out and people watch. Don't speak to anyone. Simply watch. I want you to make it a point to watch people of different races, different sizes (overweight/average/underweight), different ages. Go to your local shopping mall or boutique, and watch how these type of people are treated. Take notes. Go to a cafe or restaurant. Do the same thing. Make sure you're in a busy spot where you'll be able to see a variety of people. Just take time, and watch. Say nothing to no one. Go with an open mind. You may find yourself with a different perspective on how things are in society, and a desire to make a change, starting with yourself.

Or perhaps just watch them with their friends and family. They are happy together and love each other, regardless of whether they are overweight or thin, pretty or ugly, tall or short. That's what is important. When they care about each they don't see those 'flaws'. We shouldn't look for the flaws either, we should just see the people they are.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Or perhaps just watch them with their friends and family. They are happy together and love each other, regardless of whether they are overweight or thin, pretty or ugly, tall or short. That's what is important. When they care about each they don't see those 'flaws'. We shouldn't look for the flaws either, we should just see the people they are.

You're exactly right- we SHOULD, but as a society, we don't- THAT is the point, I'm making. Also, being a different race isn't a flaw. Being a different religion isn't a flaw. What I'm getting at with the post I made, was simply watch how people are treated. Watch how different people are treated when they go to a restaurant to be served. Watch how different people are treated when they go to a store seeking help, or even when they're checking out. Just watch. There are some people, whom there will be zero change. Every single person will treat everyone the same, and that is AWESOME! Truly, that IS the way it should be, but unfortunately, it's not the average. Even take a look at other people as you shop. See how they're viewing others as you shop/eat. We don't all just go about our business, and enjoy our day out and go, browse, and get the thing we're looking for, simply enjoy some time out. There are often people who are staring, snickering, perhaps afraid, of won't come near another person in a store/restaurant, all because they're different in one way or another. And there's a 99.9% chance, it's not because they're white, or thin. Yes, it can happen to those who ARE white, and thin, but it's more rare than those who happen to be a minority, of a different religion, or overweight.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    First off any website with that name is discredited. The most oppressed today in the US is the Straight White Male.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Don't believe it happens? http://haleymorriscafiero.com/ And this - if you are overweight, you are less likely to be hired, receive raises, promotions, etc. http://www.forbes.com/2008/05/21/health-weight-career-forbeslife-cx_avd_0521health.html I'm not talking about bullying - I'm talking about being oppressed. And not intentionally, but because as a society we are taught that 'a' is more valuable than 'b'.