How long can cooked meatballs last?

Options
Title asks it all: I just cooked them tonight. Have enough for 8 meals x3 meatballs. Will I need to freeze some or should they last for 8 straight days?

Replies

• Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usually think things will last 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator, so I would freeze half of them. Then you can take them out and unthaw whenever you need them. They could last longer, but I would do that just to be safe.
  • nic_ci
    nic_ci Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Freeze them...why would you eat them after 8 days in the fridge...and why would you want to eat them for 8 days straight?
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    wouldn't go past 3 days
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Freeze them.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've always been told the rule of the fridge is 3 days. So I usually brave 5 days. Even I wouldn't eat them after 8 days :D
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    This sounds like one of those college challenges where if we're drinking those meatballs last a day or two longer than if we're not drinking. But seriously, 3 days tops, unless frozen.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make batches of meatballs, cook them, then put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. When frozen, I put them all in a ziploc and back in the freezer. Then I can take out what I need, when I need them.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    That many cooked meatballs would last about 5 minutes around here. My family thinks "portion control' means getting there first.
    Do the sniff test.
    I just had beef stew for dinner that's been in my fridge at least 3 weeks. I'm still alive. I'm broke..payday's tomorrow so I was literally scraping the bottom of the barrel. It still smelled and tasted fine. I usually freeze my food though, to eat later.
    <chuckle/> Been there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    72 hours is my rule for stuff like that.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Do the sniff test.
    I just had beef stew for dinner that's been in my fridge at least 3 weeks. I'm still alive. I'm broke..payday's tomorrow so I was literally scraping the bottom of the barrel. It still smelled and tasted fine. I usually freeze my food though, to eat later.

My husband has been known to eat red beans and rice that has been forgotten in the back of the fridge for a month. It's never made him sick. Me, I won't eat anything after 2 days
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yep freeze some. Keep enough for one meal in the fridge, and portion out the rest for the other two meals in freezer bags.

Just remember to pull them out in the morning and toss in the fridge to safely thaw the day you want to eat them.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    That many cooked meatballs would last about 5 minutes around here. My family thinks "portion control' means getting there first.

As the oldest of 8, I know this feeling well.

415284568.jpg

But srsly. Freeze the meatballs !
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    “Freezing” is the only way to go for me. I am very fussy and pretty much stick to a 2-3 day max even on fresh left-over meats.

I must say, I have dramatically reduced my eating of meatballs because of calorie count when adding just a few items. Recipe & size obviously matter.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I would freeze half! Meatballs are such an awesome thing to have in the freezer anyway - thank you for the inspiration, I might make some this weekend!

Also a word about eating old food that smells or tastes fine, if you are going that route your best bet is to reheat the food VERY WELL. Get it super hot!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I guess the consensus is: freeze them. Okay, I will. Leave 3 sets or and freeze the rest.

To the person who asked why I would want them eight days in a row: ummmmmm because they're meatballs? And when you don't have money to pay all your rent sometimes you have to eat things 8 days in a row. Would be nice to have more options but I don't. Why do you care? Lol
  • Anxieux
    Anxieux Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Freeze them...why would you eat them after 8 days in the fridge...and why would you want to eat them for 8 days straight?
    Meatballs are freaking delicious!