Where to start with exercise??

Options
It's really cold outside here in western Ma and I don't have the funds for a gym membership right now. I have never really worked out anyway though so I have almost no clue how to anyway. Like how long to start. Any advice?

Replies

• Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    walmart has 5$-10$ dvd's I have Crunchless abs by Jackie, Leslie Sansone walk at home (highly recommend) and 30 day shred, but walmart or target should have ones that you need little to no equipment and has levels so you aren't killing yourself from the get.
  • keithff1
    Options
    I have this problem too here in chilly Colorado. I have a really long basement and I throw on my headphones and walk back and forth for about 30-40 mins. I think I burn about 200-300 calories just doing that. You can do sit-ups and push ups if you're able to. I also do not have any dumbbells so I carry around two dictionaries and lift them while walking. Another option is to jog in place while watching you're favorite program on TV for about 20 minutes.
  • debradamus
    Options
    Shoveling snow counts as exercise. You could always start with that, since it has to get done anyway. I walk every day, and try to get in a DVD more often than not. I do 30 Day Shred, and a bunch of workout/dance videos. The dance is fun, and I always feel powerful (yes, it's silly, I know) when I get done with the shred.
  • sunkissdd299
    Options
    Thanks. Those are really good suggestions.
  • sunkissdd299
    Options
    What is the shred?
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too here in chilly Colorado. I have a really long basement and I throw on my headphones and walk back and forth for about 30-40 mins. I think I burn about 200-300 calories just doing that. You can do sit-ups and push ups if you're able to. I also do not have any dumbbells so I carry around two dictionaries and lift them while walking. Another option is to jog in place while watching you're favorite program on TV for about 20 minutes.

Now that's dedication! Anybody who has an excuse needs to read your post! Nice job!

I would agree that you could get some cheap DVD's--variety is always good. 30 day shred, zumba, turbo fire are all great ones. A more spendy one would be P90X, but people have great results. Netflix has some dvd's I've been told as well! I know DVD's can be daunting, but if you get enough variety, spring will be here before you know it and you can be outside! Can you hit up a pool once a week or afford to take a class? Sometimes those aren't too spendy! Good luck to you!
  • Randallw25
    Options
    Lots of ways to start, without gym membership. If you need something structured you can get workout dvds. You can find these at your local walmart or store of choice and they offer a variety to choose from. Price range varies usually under 20. There are workout series Like turbo Jam, Zumba, Yoga Booty Ballet, and others depending on what you are looking for. Dvds would be the easiest route to go since you dont have to leave home and get to see what to do.

Other things to do is just start creating your own circuits. Combine things like running/jogging n place, jumping jacks, squats and other simple exercises together for a certain amount of time and repeating.

Best way to start is just to do it. If needed can start small 20-30 minutes a day and work your way up.
  • Randallw25
    Options
    30 day shred is a Jillian Micheals Workout DVD, Ussually Found at walmart or amazon.com
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    co worker and friends are a great place to ask about dvd lots of people have bought one kind of program that is just now collecting dust ask around to borrow stuff