Ideas for calories without sugar or sodium?

Options
I'm trying to plan out my meals for the week using the tracker, but am having problems getting to the correct calorie level without going over (sometimes WAY over) on sodium and/or sugar.

What are some foods you guys eat that fill you up on calories without being packed with sugar and sodium?

Add-on question: if your sugars are coming from fruit, is it that bad to be over? I don't want to give up orange juice, but it's not doing me any favors in the sugar category!

Replies

• 951heather
    951heather Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of bonesless skinless chicken breasts and ground turkey. I guess it depends how you are preparing your food too. For fruit, I don't think it matters if the sugar is over, as long it is naturally occuring sugar. Orange juice would have added sugar, unless you opt for no sugar fruit juice.
  • jltmwt
    jltmwt Posts: 1
    Options
    eliminate the juice and eat the fresh fruit. this cuts a lot of calories in sugar
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    I'm going to keep an eye on this thread . . . I, too, am always looking for lower sugar, lower sodium choices. I find I can't drink juice . . . its better to just eat an orange, then you get the fiber and all the other good stuff juice just doesn't have in it. Its only my personal opinion though. :0) I'm finding I go way over in protein, but I'm not knocking myself for that, so possibly to keep my levels low, I'm actually eating more veggies and lean meats. . . . just trying not to add or minimize adding sugar to my oatmeal, tea and other stuff, and attempting to stay away from the all-powerfully tempting baked goods. ;0) Good luck and I'll be checking in to see what others say!
  • ClearCanada
    Options
    Orange juice is like getting an injection of glucose. I was bought up having huge glasses of orange juice every morning, but now i know how much it impacts my blood sugar.

If you can drop out of the daily orange juice habit you will knock off a ton of calories and sugar and lessen the chance of diabetes. The only time i will have a fresh fruit juice is sometimes after a long work out, and only a small amount.

Far better than the juice is maybe one or two sections of an orange or apple, which will give you more healthy fibre.

Smiles. :)
  • LongHaulKate
    LongHaulKate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not an expert, but I do know that most dietitians will tell you to be very careful about the calories you are drinking. If your orange juice is fresh squeezed or doesn't have any ADDED sugars than it probably isn't too bad, but the concentrated kinds are loaded with extra sugar. It might be good to trade it for a protein shake or even a glass of milk.
    It is really hard for me to stay under my sodium level as well. I have been trying to substitute any cooking ingredients I use (like soy sauce, canned soups, chicken broth) for the lower sodium version. I honestly can't taste a difference and it helps free up some sodium for snacks I love. Some of my favorite are string cheese (you can buy a low sodium) and also Quaker Rice Mini's. String cheese has a good little lump of protein and the rice cakes make me feel like I'm having a treat.
    Keep up the good work!
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This is sad, I love orange juice! I hadn't even considered added sugar, though, and I'm sure that you're right and it has a ton.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I don't count fruit in my sugar intake. I only count refined or processed sugars.