low sodium salad dressing

Options
i need a good healthy salad dressing reccomendation or recipe. i've tried kraft ff italian dressing, good, not a lot of calories and fat but it has toooons of sodium. i've also tried the ken's healthy options olive oil and vinegar, good, not a whole lot of calories and fat but crap it the sodium is killing me. i've really been trying to cut back on my sodium intake. so, any good healthy salad dressings w/ low calories, low or fat free, low carbs, and lower sodium? i'm not asking for too much am i? :p

Replies

• HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I personally like Dorothy Lynch salad dressing. Last week, I spent several minutes comparing different salad dressings and this one had a decent calorie/sodium combination. You may also want to take a look at the options in the "health food" section of your grocery store...some organic dressings have lower sodium.

Good luck!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Hands down, Bolthouse Farms is your answer! It's AMAZING!! It's in the produce section near the bag salads.
    I have tried their Olive Oil Vinaigrette and their Honey Mustard Creamy Yogurt Dressing. I use them on salads, sandwiches, dips, to cook with... everything!

Here's the nutrition information:

Olive Oil Vinaigrette: per 2 tbsp
    Calories- 30
    Sodium- 150 mg
    Fat- 0
    Carbs- 6

Honey Mustard: per 2 tbsp
    Calories- 45
    Sodium- 80:bigsmile: :noway:
    Fat- 2
    Carbs- 7

I absolutely LOVE it- it's the only dressing I will buy from now on. :smile:

Check out their website: www.bolthouse.com then click on "products" at the top, and then click on the picture of the salad dressing bottle on the right side. Then, you can select the yogurt based dressings or the vinaigrettes.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Just add balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar or any other type you like to oil and add italian seasoning or any other seasoning you like. Also, high sodium intake is not caused by the salt shaker. It is caused by processed foods so add a little sea salt or garlic salt and you are fine!
  • sssrip
    sssrip Posts: 72
    Options
    Calories Carbs Fiber Protein Sugar Sodium

Kraft - Catalina Fat Free Dressing, 0.5 Tbsp 13 3 0 0 2 88

and tastes great.
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hands down, Bolthouse Farms is your answer! It's AMAZING!! It's in the produce section near the bag salads.
    I have tried their Olive Oil Vinaigrette and their Honey Mustard Creamy Yogurt Dressing. I use them on salads, sandwiches, dips, to cook with... everything!

Now, 4 years later someone reads this post and goes out and buys the product. I got the Bolthouse farms Classic Ranch Yogurt Dressing and it is a very yummy 45 calories.
  • theitalianldy
    theitalianldy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We're you saving that Kraft fat free Cathalina has .05 sodium per tablespoon?
  • Jaseau
    Jaseau Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Guys and Gals... you cant go wrong with a good simple home made vinaigrette

Start with the best quality Olive Oil you can find- or a nice nut oil ( walnut is great/hemp oil or pumpkin seed oil is fab)
    then grab a fresh lemon or lime and squeeze the juice, zest some of the skin and whisk into the oil.

Add a few grinds of the black pepper grinder and using a whisk, whisk it!!
    No need to add salt!!!!

usually 75% Oil to 25% Juice.
    You can also replace the juice with any number of the great vinegar that are available.

Seriously... stay away from the packet stuff! everyone needs to start counting chemicals/preservatives than just the calories and sodium.

Enjoy, real food, real easy!!

J
    ( Former private Forbes Rich List Chef)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    i need a good healthy salad dressing reccomendation or recipe. i've tried kraft ff italian dressing, good, not a lot of calories and fat but it has toooons of sodium. i've also tried the ken's healthy options olive oil and vinegar, good, not a whole lot of calories and fat but crap it the sodium is killing me. i've really been trying to cut back on my sodium intake. so, any good healthy salad dressings w/ low calories, low or fat free, low carbs, and lower sodium? i'm not asking for too much am i? :p

Agree with the above suggestions for vinaigrette. Making your own dressings at home if you're trying to watch sodium can help you control that factor a bit more!
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I make a low sodium non-oil dressing.

1 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp. White vinegar
    1 tsp honey
    Siracha sauce if you want some heat
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Like others suggested, just make your own. Use a bit of olive oil and lemon or orange or lime juice and some seasoning. After you experiment a bit you'll find mixes you like.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Start with the best quality Olive Oil you can find- or a nice nut oil ( walnut is great/hemp oil or pumpkin seed oil is fab)
    then grab a fresh lemon or lime and squeeze the juice, zest some of the skin and whisk into the oil.

No need to add salt!!!!

You can also replace the juice with any number of the great vinegar that are available.

Seriously... stay away from the packet stuff! everyone needs to start counting chemicals/preservatives than just the calories and sodium.

AMEN to making your own!!!

]
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    White Balsamic Vinaigrette
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/white-balsamic-vinaigrette.html
    Makes approx. 1/2 cup

Ingredients

3 oz walnut oil
    1 oz white balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 garlic clove, minced (approx. 1/2 tsp)
    1 tsp honey
    1/8 tsp Italian seasoning
    Salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste (omit salt)

Directions

Mix vinaigrette ingredients in a small mason jar. Secure with lid and shake until emulsified. Store remaining dressing in the refrigerator for up to a week. Great over a spinach and mushroom salad.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Try rice vinegar,olive oil,a shake of
    Garlic powder & Italian seasoning.
    Black pepper if you want.

It's been my go to salad dressing for a long time.
    I also carry enough for a salad in a
    tiny Tupperware container. Yummy,with no
    sodium ingredients.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I just pour olive oil over the salad, add a sprinkle of balsamico or white-wine vinegar, grind black pepper from the Peugeot, and grab a pinch of Maldon sea salt and crunch it between my fingers as I throw it on top. Done.

ETA
    Remember the oil:vinegar ratio is something like 3:1 (three parts plus one part), but if you buy cheap balsamico it can be really bitter so I use even less of it then.
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Natasha_Fit_Fab Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Everyone gave excellent recommendations: I tried Bolthouse; Annies Naturals Balsamic (55mg sodium); Bragg Healthy Vinaigrette (60 mg sodium)...and sometimes If I want the taste of a regular salad dressing I just use 1 Tbsp to cut back on the sodium and use red wine vinegar
  • RoninsMom5
    Options
    make your own, this is my recipe Raw salad dressing

1 mango
    1 orange bell pepper
    green onions ( the amount you like)
    1 juice of lime
    1/4 or more of jalepeno ( optional)

for a smoother texture use blender, or if you want it chunky use the processor, I like to dip Organic blue corn chips in this mixture too
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    galeo's ginger wasabe - a great low calorie, low sodium dressing that also tastes good as a marinade.

galeo's world's greatest miso sesame - somewhat sweet, tasty, low in calories and sodium.

ken's steakhouse light blue cheese - lower in sodium than most blue cheese, no cholesterol, fat/calories could be lower but it's still half regular blue cheese and tastes delightful.
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options

No need to add salt!!!!

J
    ( Former private Forbes Rich List Chef)

NICE!!! Thank you soooo much!!