multi vitamins

Options
So I have heard it both ways: Multi-vitamins will make you feel hungry and/or they will help with your appetite...
My mom's the one who brought it to my attention that they're known to make you feel hungry, so she suggested I take them at night so I can sleep through any "hunger pains" that may arise.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    bump above the spam
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    They've never made me particularly hunger or left me particularly full in my experience. Take them if you need to, but I wouldn't rely on them as a weight loss aid.
  • slynn1023
    Options
    not using as a weight loss aid. just to get vitamins. :)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i have never heard that before. i do take mine at night with my last meal (dinner) only because they upset my stomach if i take them without food. i use Alive brand, for women over age 50+
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you eat a balanced diet, you don't need a MVN. But eating a balanced diet is like a full time job and very few people do it. If you are like the vast and overwhelming majority of people and don't, the MVN is a good idea.

They don't make me hungry, but I take them with food, so there's that. :)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If you eat a balanced diet, you don't need a MVN. But eating a balanced diet is like a full time job and very few people do it. If you are like the vast and overwhelming majority of people and don't, the MVN is a good idea.

They don't make me hungry, but I take them with food, so there's that. :)

i have heard for years (and also from dr's) that vitamins aren't necessary. i can't help but take them, though. LOL
    i just feel like i have a puzzle in my tummy, and if i take a vitamin, it will fill-in all the little holes that my food left behind.
    i'm silly, i know! :bigsmile:
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    They don't make me hungry! I take mine as a fizzy thing though (tablets that you drop into water and it turns into a flavoured drink) and I find it a really good boost in the morning (Berocca is popular for this, but I am cheap and therefore take the ripoff Lidl substitute!). I also take a dolomite supplement (calcium and magnesium) because I don't get much calcium in my diet.
  • slynn1023
    Options
    I'm still working on the balanced diet thing. taking baby steps into this new lifestyle. Anytime I jump right in and try to be strict on myself I give up, so I figure slow and steady wins the race. :)
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I take a 1 a day 50+ A to Z multi vit,
    They help keep the damage behind my eyes under control, and allow me to keep a kind of restrictive carb diet to keep my diabetes under control.

I never actually feel hungry from them, though I would advise you to take them with a meal, as vits on an empty tummy can make it queezy to say the least..

But make sure you get the good ones that have at least the 100% recommended daily amount in them, a lot of the cheaper ones have less in.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    they don't effect my appetite but I can't take them on an empty stomach or I feel nauseous.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I take Women's One-A-Day to help me meet my micronutrient levels but it hasn't affected my appetite either way.
  • vincelaccro
    vincelaccro Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I take progressive active men 3 times a day
    and you have to eat a little when you take them
    because some nutrients won't be absorbed

as for my hunger, it really doesn't change anything...
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Suprisingly, there is some evidence that having decent nutrition by taking a vitamin can affect weight loss, in a good way.

Here's the summary of one study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16296926

"Among overweight or obese men and women, long-term use of multivitamins, vitamins B6 and B12, and chromium were significantly associated with lower levels of weight gain."

And the results appear to be dose-dependent.

Another study:
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=1831172&fileId=S0007114507853335

"Compared with non-consumers, male consumers of vitamin and/or dietary supplements had a lower body weight ... fat mass ... BMI ... and a tendency for greater resting energy expenditure ... In women, the same differences were observed but not to a statistically significant extent ... female supplements consumers had lower disinhibition and hunger scores ... fasting and postprandial appetite ratings were significantly reduced in multivitamin and mineral-supplemented women"

they don't effect my appetite but I can't take them on an empty stomach or I feel nauseous.
    :banghead: Why would a vitamin cause appetite? And people don't feel nauseous, they look nauseous.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Suprisingly, there is some evidence that having decent nutrition by taking a vitamin can affect weight loss, in a good way.

"Among overweight or obese men and women, long-term use of multivitamins, vitamins B6 and B12, and chromium were significantly associated with lower levels of weight gain."

Another study:
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=1831172&fileId=S0007114507853335

"Compared with non-consumers, male consumers of vitamin and/or dietary supplements had a lower body weight ... fat mass ... BMI ... and a tendency for greater resting energy expenditure ... In women, the same differences were observed but not to a statistically significant extent ... female supplements consumers had lower disinhibition and hunger scores ... fasting and postprandial appetite ratings were significantly reduced in multivitamin and mineral-supplemented women"

:banghead: Why would a vitamin cause appetite? And people don't feel nauseous, they look nauseous.

sorry,.I give my poor daughter headaches with my grammar.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

Another study:

Correlation not causation. Other factors may be involved like those who take multi-vitamins are more inclined to exercise and eat right. I take them and they don't make me hungrier. But maybe that's because I drink them with water and I really wasn't that hungry, I was just thirsty.
  • Baconist
    Baconist Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I take Flintstone Complete, 100% of nearly everything, especially iron. Never had trouble with them...the cromium in some adult really messes with my metabolism and causes me to feel constantly hungry.
  • Trignon
    Trignon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin most mornings more just out of habit, not really much of a dose in those to help much.
    Just hope I get enough vitamins and minerals from the food I eat.
  • Omanya
    Omanya Posts: 50
    Options
    Unless you're taking bizarre vitamins, they shouldn't have many calories. Vitamins and minerals don't have a caloric value; only the stuff that's used to hold everything together might, and it likely is 10 or fewer. Your state of hunger will much more closely relate to when, what, and how much you last ate.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I take a MVN, tons and tons of calcium, a B-12, a bunch of D and an E every day.

Only the B-12 registers a calorie and it's one calorie a day.

(I don't recommend anyone else take a bunch of vitamins. I need my supplements...well, I may or may not need the E, but it was doctor-approved. Don't take supplements you don't need. (: )
  • melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin & fish oil every morning with breakfast. I found out yesterday I can't take them on an empty stomach or I feel like puking all day.

Since taking the pills I have noticed my weightloss has been more steady & I feel better. Do I think it's from the pills alone, absolutely not! But I think it is because I am filling more of my nutrient needs. I haven't noticed an appetite change either way. I highly doubt taking a multivitamin would be a bad thing overall.