Ravenous right before period

Options
So I've been doing 1200 calories per for months now. It works pretty well give or take. Everything seems to always balance out by the end of the week but right before my cycle, things get away out of hand. I'm not just binging- I'm truly hungry. This goes on for about three days. Like right now, I've gone far beyond my goal for today and that's with exercise and I feel as if I haven't eaten a thing. Same thing yesterday. Seriously, I could easily eat again with no problem. I really hate these times because I like to feel in control at all times- But if I ignore this waxing hunger, then I'll get really weak and light headed and get a really bad headache. SIGH. I've come so far. I've lost almost 80 lbs and it scares me when I feel ravenous. I don't really live a restricted life either. If I really want something, I eat it and then I just compensate later. Will I gain weight during these times? I don't really weight myself often because I've recovered from an eating disorder and constant weighing will set me back. I just weight every few months.

Replies

• FlabULessFoodie
    FlabULessFoodie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal to me. I don't have an answer to your question. During my cycle I eat pasta like I'm carbo loading for a marathon. It seems to be what my body wants. Lots of garlic! Lol
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is feasible or not with eating disorder recovery, but I will just eat at maintenance for a few days when I get like that. I figure a half a week at maintenance here and there isn't going to stall my weight loss too much. I don't know if something like that could be an option for you - making your calorie goal a bit higher those days?
  • cottoncandyclover
    cottoncandyclover Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. The first day of my period all I want to do is sleep day two all I want to do is eat. I don't know if it will affect your weight loss though.
  • bnmoyler
    bnmoyler Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is feasible or not with eating disorder recovery, but I will just eat at maintenance for a few days when I get like that. I figure a half a week at maintenance here and there isn't going to stall my weight loss too much. I don't know if something like that could be an option for you - making your calorie goal a bit higher those days?

I don't think I have a choice, it just happens anyway lol My maintenance is right around 1960-2000 calories and thats exactly around what I ate yesterday. I guess it's not so bad. Now that I look at it, it's not enough for me to gain- Just to maintain. I'm happy as long as I'm not gaining and I have to admit, I wouldn't be too upset if I didn't lose another pound. I'm so close to where I set my goal and I know the few lbs that I have left to loose is very feasible.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Monthly cycle changes with women are normal. If it's just 3 days out of the month that you go into this ravenous cookie type monster, I wouldn't worry about it, it will balance itself out.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I also get stupidly hungry, which is probaby what's going on right now (thank you for reminding me to check the calendar). That part is normal. The scientific explanation is on the internet. It's like your body is doing stuff and needs extra nutrition, or whatever. Eating at maintenance is a great suggestion - I'll have to remember to do that. lol

Fruits tend to help me during this time. They satisfy my sweet tooth. Protein is good too.
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one, that's for sure. I try to sleep a lot during those days.
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way!!! I do perfect until shark week then I eat like 9,000 calories a day
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Are there women who DON'T get ravenous??? If so, lucky!!!

It's totally normal to get that hungry when the flo is on it's way. Probably more so if you only eat 1200 calories. You won't gain weight eating at maintenance or by going over a couple days. I usually eat above maintenance for like 2-3 days during my period. I can gain anywhere from 3-6 lbs during that time but it never sticks, mostly water weight.

73529108.png
  • LilMissTucknRoll
    LilMissTucknRoll Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oh, man. I have that right now. Like, third day into it I have eaten over my calories but I feel like I'm starving.
  • XemzidarlingX
    Options
    I can definitely say I feel so damn hungry while on my period in the early days and just before as well. I always feel so fat and think I have put on weight. My boyfriend knows me well as I always say "urgh i look frumpy" and his reply is always "its water retention dear". Every month without fail we have this conversation haha.
    I have lost nearly two stone since Xmas so I am happy anyway ????
  • Veronnie87
    Veronnie87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I get so hungry that I could literally nibble at something all day long, and typically I'm not big on snacking between meals.

Like OP said, it's not just mindless hunger (believe me, I know EXACTLY when I'm eating because I'm bored) but actual ravenous, physical, if-I-don't-eat-now-something-bad-is-going-to-happen, HANGRY hunger (this sometimes includes roaring, crying or excessive whining unfortunately! LOL!). Ugh. Thank goodness my husband knows what to do...a bowl of tortellini in rosé sauce usually does the trick. Odd, because I don't eat much bread and am not a big pasta person any other time! I bring a lot of little snacks to work those days and I try to make them as healthy as possible so that I stay away from the vending machines or Tim Hortons.

OP, don't stress about it. It happens to most women and as long as you don't go out of your way to binge eat or anything like that, you'll be fine. Try to eat really dense stuff (I've found chana masala or something thick and hearty like a lentil soup helps), drink lots of water and/or green tea to help de-bloat and gets lots of sleep. You've come so far and obviously you have gone through many periods and have still managed to lose an amazing amount of weight. You clearly know what to do, just keep on trucking girl!