Feel like the wind has been taken out of my sails ...

Options
I went to the Dr. today for, what I was hoping would be, a cortisone shot in my left heel to help with this excruciating pain I've been having. I was diagnosed with a heel spur a few years back and was told it was from plantar fasciitis. So I've been doing everything I thought was going to help with PF, including stretching exercises and wearing this ridiculous thing around my calf that keeps my toes flexed while I sleep so the fascia doesn't tighten up, blah, blah, blah. Did those things help ... marginally. But basically, I have still woken up every morning with pain in my heel that makes it pretty painful to walk for about the first 15-20 minutes, until the fascia is stretched out and not aggravating the heel spur

So, I have been exercising my butt off the last 3.5 weeks, I've shed almost 11 lbs and I'm eating great and I'm excited about working out several days a week. Yeah, that's right, I'm excited!! The only problem is, the exercise has really made the pain in my heel worse. Now it's extremely painful to walk almost the entire day. When I went to my Dr., he told me that it's not just a heel spur, but the location of the heel spur is right where the achilles tendon meets the bone. It is so inflamed, he is concerned that I *could* rupture my achilles tendon if I continue the high-impact exercise I've been doing. That would mean surgery, then I'd be stuck in a wheelchair for months, according to him. I've been visiting this Dr. for 13 years. He's not only a great Dr., but a good friend. I trust him. And believe me, not only would my exercising be gone if I, God forbid, ruptured my achilles tendon, but our home life would be completely screwed up. We have no family nearby to help us with our kids, and my husband works 12 hour days from 5:30 am to 5:30 pm. I stay home. Not a scenario I even care to consider.

I'm so bummed. Part of the reason I haven't really worked out prior to this year is that both my kids were home, and now they are both finally in school. But my daughter only goes 3 days a week, and the amount of time I have between dropping him off and picking her up when they both go is about 90 minutes. There is a laundry list of reasons why I wanted to work out at home, and why I've been successful doing that, and now I can't

He did say I could do the recumbant bike or swimming, and, to a lesser extent, the elliptical. No treadmill, no running, no aerobics ... All the things that I can do require a gym membership, obviously to a gym that has a pool. The closest one is about 10 minutes away, but that seriously cuts into my workout time when I have to run back and forth to drop off and pick up the kids.

Basically, this really sucks, and I'm upset. If I wanted to work out in a gym and deal with all the scheduling crap, and dragging my daughter there on the days she doesn't have school, I would have done it by now. We had a FREE family YMCA membership for 2 years. I can count on both hands (and still have fingers left over) the number of times I went in 2 years. It's just not my thing.

I'm not saying I'm going to give up. On the contrary. I want to keep the momentum going. I bought a yoga dvd a few days ago, so I can do that, but it's not what I really wanted to do. And I'm finding it hard to get excited about starting the process over again. Yes, I know, it's only been three weeks, but I was making progress and it was working out for me the way things were.

I guess I'm just upset and needed to vent.

Thanks

Replies

• IceFaith
    Options
    I'm sorry about the problems w/ your heel but if you can use a recumbant bike you might try and find one online at the classifieds. I saw one in my area yesterday, I think it was. You might be able to get one pretty reasonable. You could also check out the used sports equipment places in your area as well.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    That is discouraging news, but keep motivated! There are so many other exercises you can do - like swimming!
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I, too, am sorry about the bad news! It really sucks to start a healthy lifestyle change only to be told you can't do it anymore. Don't let it be the reason to quit. Get creative and find other things you can do. It may not be your original plan, but you never know, it might bring you to an exercise you completely love! Good luck to you, and I hope things get better!
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    Im sorry to hear about your struggles. I have had plantar fascitis too, currently even. I got it each time after my pregnancies and am just healing from it again. Have you considered yoga? this might help with the flexibility of your achilles tendon as well as offer you a great low impact workout. Maybe talk to your MD about it? Also, have you been doing the ibuprofen challenge (im a nurse). Its a high dose of ibuprofen to reduce inflammation. Just some suggestions, you may have tried them already but I felt inclined to offer you support cuz I know just how painful it can be when you get up in the morning and walk around like a cripple! heehee
    Good luck!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're so bummed out- I would be too! It's very hard to schedule in time with small kids...I know it gets complicated.

Here's some food for thought though. A co-worker of mine had the same problem- and her achilles DID rupture...and she has had the most complicated recovery since, made doubly hard because she is carrying the extra weight. So as hard as it is to work the schedules, and wrap your head around making the gym your thing- all I can do is encourage you to take a leap of faith and try.

Stay motivated, take care of yourself- and even if you can't exercise the way you want, keep logging your calories.
  • myladyelliott
    Options
    Don't give up! I am where you are - my knees are not made right, so I have to have zero impact or they go all wonky and hurt. It can be done and still get a good workout.

I can't stand a recumbent bike, they hurt my lower back, but I love a regular stationary bike. Biking was actually prescribed to me by my physical therapist when I was in my teens (wish I'd listened back then!) I love a real bike even more - and that I can do. I've recently discovered that I love the elliptical machine, too, because it can go from easy to oh-my-living-hell and still stay zero impact. I think my favorite is the Tony Little Gazelle, though, because it gets your arms and legs moving, you decide how fast.

It's not the end of your exercise - it's just a speed bump. It'll only slow you down until you figure out how to work around it.

hang in there
    from a fellow gimp :)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Definitely, as mentioned, pick whichever kind of machine you prefer, bike, or elliptical - and start looking for a used one if you can't afford a new one. This is a good time of year to find them, as people are often getting rid of older ones after Christmas.

I'm the same way - I HATE GYMS. With a passion. I will not go. I will not eat them with a mouse, or in a house. :tongue:

So when I started this I bought a stationary bike. And you know what? For someone who has NEVER stuck to an exercise routine for more than a week in 37 years - I have only skipped one workout in a month (and that was cause I was sick). It's made a world of difference.

So, since healing with that type of injury can take quite a while, I say you need to figure out a long term solution that will allow you to work out at home, with the things you are able to do. Best solution seems like getting the equipment. Good luck to you!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Man! That stinks. Don't get too down, you can lose weight without exercise as weight loss is all about calorie deficits. The exercise may help, and it has lots of other benefits; but you can lose weight just fine without it. Reducing you levels doesn't have to stop you losing weght. You might want to consider some resistance training either using body weght exercises or resistance bands.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have had this too...you must GET SOME ORTHODICS asap it will fix the problem as long as you take time to heal and stop the impact work. Which foot? Usually is your "lead" foot so right if you are dominant right handed. My son is a Chiropractor and uses the BEST custom orthotics called "SOLE SUPPORT" truly the only real custom orthotic made. Google them and see if there is a practictioner in your area. Also buy MSM powder form is best and take 1000 mg a day for the infammation; get MSM cream (15%) to rub into painful area as well as Arnica gel for pain....do not ruin you LIVER taking OTC meds ...this is the best advice you can get...been there...it hurts alot and i wish someone told me what i just told you. Best wishes, Marian the Trainer in MA.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have had this too...you must GET SOME ORTHODICS asap it will fix the problem as long as you take time to heal and stop the impact work. Which foot? Usually is your "lead" foot so right if you are dominant right handed. My son is a Chiropractor and uses the BEST custom orthotics called "SOLE SUPPORT" truly the only real custom orthotic made. Google them and see if there is a practictioner in your area. Also buy MSM powder form is best and take 1000 mg a day for the infammation; get MSM cream (15%) to rub into painful area as well as Arnica gel for pain....do not ruin you LIVER taking OTC meds ...this is the best advice you can get...been there...it hurts alot and i wish someone told me what i just told you. Best wishes, Marian the Trainer in MA.
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    How awful! Maybe you can see about getting some videos for people who do chair exercises until you've recovered? They are super super low impact but still good for exercise.
  • Randallw25
    Options
    Did he say how long until the Inflammation is gone? You just need to find less high impact exercises that you can enjoy until then.

Once it is healed back up you will be able to slowly add the workouts you love back in. I know it may be hard, and tough but you need to keep going. I am sure you can do it and will be able to move back to your fav routines down the road.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Vent on anytime!:mad: It's ok to be mad but you can't give up! Ever. The stakes are to high when it comes to obesity. Did your dr give you some insight as to what exercise you could do? As far as being discouraged, I've often had to change plans because of circumstances out of my control. I have found it is just a part of this ride aka journey, and WE have to roll with the punches. I probably added 20 lbs thinking about losing weight, planning to lose weight, wanting to lose weight, and then when I still couldn't make time to get to the gym I would just say oh well and maybe tomorrow. I finally realized that not making it to the gym was an excuse and it was only making the problem worse and BIGGER (pun intended). I had to find a way to get in exercise at home and I have I still never go to the gym but I work out all the time. I have planned entire workouts and then bam something happens and I have to change my plans quickly but you still have to do something! I have planned to do a dvd and then my 3 year old goes ape **** crazy to watch the same on demand show over and over and over so bye bye Jillian Micheals hello jumping jacks elliptical and crunches. Hang in there! :flowerforyou: Find out your options and execute them. Simple as that you'll get back to your other workouts your a mommy so I know you understand what I am trying to say! And your not giving the elliptical enough credit:wink: mines kicked my *kitten* numerous times! :laugh: just hit the botton that looks like this ^ :bigsmile:
    Get well soon but KEEP GOING! Whatever you do, do it well! :drinker:
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options

WOW GREAT ADVICE!! And free of charge :laugh: I :heart: MFP
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I have had PF for over a decade, I could not walk, I could not work, I didn't read through all of the thread so here's what worked for me.

1. Cortison shots - nope

2. Glucosamine & Chondroitin by SOLGAR OR SCHIFF brands only. Frankly I would go with Solar....expensive but it WORKS, it will get you out of the immense first pain.

3. Crocs - I only wear crocs. That is all I wear. I am not able to wear other shoes. I also RUN at home on padding on my floor, yes RUN, either barefoot on the padding (see link below) or in crocs on the padding.

Link to the padding I bought:
    http://www.nefitco.com/interlockingfloormats28mm.html

That size is just 4 interlocking mats, enough to do your exercise on.
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis too. It comes and gos, and was in my arch and is now in my heel.

All I can say is be gentle with yourself! There are days where my foot is just sore, so I'll do the run or the elliptical, etc. After a few days of that it's excruciating and I'm limping. At that point I rest my foot. You can't keep stressing it! I was really down for a while, because I consider myself a runner, but you can't let these things kill your spirit!

Swimming really is a great option. It's an incredible workout but so easy on your joints and everything. Circuit training DVDs (like Jillian) aren't too bad either since you're in standing or squatting positions mainly.

I was watching Oprah the other day (gotta love her!) and her trainer was on. He talked about the differences between excuses and roadblocks to getting healthy and in shape. Excuses were "it's hard for me to get up in the morning" or "I don't have any time". Roadblocks were "I just had surgery" etc.

I personal feel my plantar fasciitis can be an excuse if I let it, but it's not a roadblock. Nutrition is 70% of the battle (in my opinion) and when I'm relaxed and good about managing stress, I'm in a great position to eat like a rockstar.

Hang in there! Exercise when you can and go easy on yourself when you can't. This isn't an overnight change but your injury isn't a death sentence either!
  • SlimLittleMrs
    Options
    Have you ever tried Active Release Therapy? it really helped me alot :)
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was diagnoised with that too back several years ago. I know how painful it is to even walk, especially in the morning when getting out of bed. My doctor fit me with some hard insoles and gave me a boot to help with the pain . Funny thing is, it went away on it's on after sometime of suffereing with it. I suppose I got lucky, maybe it could come back but so far it hasn't. I know what your feeling, it's miserable! Hang in there and try to stay off of it, I know you want to exercise but you stand the risk of making it so much worse. Maybe like me it will get better on it's own. I hope so. Take care.

Denise
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Have you considered weight training? It's not difficult or super expensive to purchase some free weights and basic equipment...and this stuff won't wear out. When I was doing 2-3 days/week of 1 hour weight training DVD workouts (I love Cathe Friedrich's stuff) I saw the scale move in the right direction and replaced squish with nicely contoured muscles. More muscles = higher metabolism (which is a big part of why guys lose weight easier than us women).
  • Uronlydreaming
    Uronlydreaming Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bridget,

Let me start by saying that I'm only responding because I want you to succeed. That being said, there's plenty of people "feeling bad for you" with the best of intentions. What I'm here to say, popular or not, is to suck it up. By that, I mean you must find a way to not become negative. I have an ankle that had surgery 6-7 years ago, so I understand. It gets sore now, sometimes, but I went out even in a blizzard and did 3 miles the other night in 15F weather. Not saying you should, or could, but it wasn't "should" that got me there, it was ATTITUDE. I will find a way no matter what.

You said you had Y memberships, or that a pool is 10 min away, then that's what you have to do, but I am certain you need to find an overriding motivation that gets you over the hump. For example, I didn't use my elliptical for a year, no matter how much I told myself I needed to, or should... but when I hooked my computer up to a large screen TV and started streaming my all-time favorite shows, I got on the elliptical and 30-60 min was gone like nothing.

Now, when I go to meet a friend in town, if I can walk it, I do. Then it's not "exercise" but a trip to a meeting that's going to burn calories in the process. Two birds, one stone.

As for simpler stuff to work with, pick up some of those elastic bands and you can do all kinds of home workouts with them using chairs and doors/doorknobs. You can find rubber band workouts. You can find kettle bell workouts. Those will drop weight. And you can then use a 1-2 time trip to the pool to SUPPLEMENT those but those, alone, WILL get you burning and shaping.

You can also switch your diet foods to what my trainer and I call CLEANER foods. I'm not saying anyone should have to do this but considering your dilemma, this is a simple, effective suggestion. Instead of focusing on mainly calorie counts, focus on food types. Chicken breast and eggs, for example, will burn cleaner than, say, ground beef. Nuts, for fats, will burn cleaner than, say, butter or margarine. Now, I'm not playing scientist here. I'm not looking to get into a debate with someone who really does have a degree in nutrition, etc. What I'm getting at it simple. Some foods will rev up your metabolism and burn like kindling being thrown in a fire. Other foods will burn like smoldering logs. So, you can increase your anaerobic exercise... toning, shaping, building, and eat foods that speed up your metabolism, and supplement with a mere 1-2 pool trips every 7-10 days.

Once your weight drops from this, you might be in a better position to walk. You can also look into laser surgery... in and out. ;)

Best wishes, Bridget,
    Eric