anyone else get the "blues?"

Options
Its hard to write this but was harder to face... I know that loosing weight is the right thing to do for myself and my health..
I feel so great when I do walk ( 2 to 2 1/2 hours 5 days a week ) or I use a treadmill and ski machine when I dont go walking...
However.. I get so blue and down about myself.. but KNOW I have to keep going... This is a struggle and I feel so all alone..
Does anyone feel like this? I started this lifestyle change about a month ago and have lost 15 pounds to date.. and started on this site yesterday hoping to monitor the rest of my journey... I am just worried about how blue I feel.. is this normal?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    For me I was happy rolling along gaining weight. I didn't have to think about food, exercise or my chosen lifestyle. When my eyes were opened to what I was doing to my body, I did have a period of time where I felt down.

The worst thought was it was going to be years, not months Everything is a quick fix these days, but here I could slowly lose the weight and make small changes that made huge difference.

So lift that chin, walk down that street, and eat some carrots!! :flowerforyou:
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hi Chilady, I am sorry to hear that you are feeling down and I just thought I would let you know about a thread that is active at the moment in the Primal/Paleo Support Group on this site.

It is called "October - Body, Mind and Soul Month" and perhaps it will give you a measure of support during this difficult time. You don't need to follow the Paleo eating way of life to be made to feel welcome.

And congratulations on your weight loss so far. Best of luck.
  • pepper1173
    pepper1173 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can relate! I was doing great for a long time, was down 50 pounds, gained back almost 20. I get down on myself because I'm an emotional eater, it's a vicious circle. I get down when I'm not motivated, which has basically been the past 6 months. I'm blue because I have 6 pairs of jeans hanging in my closet that I can't fit in to. I know this is my own fault, so I'm trying to push the blue feelings away and be positive. It's a lifestyle and unfortunately doesn't happen overnight.
    Stick to it :-)
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I feel this way a lot too. I can't stand the way I look now that I've gained so much weight. And I struggle so much with losing weight. Some days I feel great and others I feel hopeless.
    Just keep going, you're doing great!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Its hard to write this but was harder to face... I know that loosing weight is the right thing to do for myself and my health..
    I feel so great when I do walk ( 2 to 2 1/2 hours 5 days a week ) or I use a treadmill and ski machine when I dont go walking...
    However.. I get so blue and down about myself.. but KNOW I have to keep going... This is a struggle and I feel so all alone..
    Does anyone feel like this? I started this lifestyle change about a month ago and have lost 15 pounds to date.. and started on this site yesterday hoping to monitor the rest of my journey... I am just worried about how blue I feel.. is this normal?

Hi. Its great you've made the decision to start working on your weight and you've done great so far.

But depression although often linked to weight issues, is also something that you may need some extra help for. Please get a councillor to talk to. And meds may also help a lot. I have struggled with depression for many years but doing well now. To me, you sound lonely. Try to find ways to include other people in your life be it : a councillor, overeaters anonymous or other support groups, attend your local community centre which probably has some fun group activities, consider volunteering, try to start a new hobby, join a walking group?

Walking is great for depression we're told so keep doing it.

For your weightloss ambitions, focus on improving your diet - plenty of protein (.34g per pound of body weight), reduced carbs, don't be frightened of fat, skip processed food and go whole foods. Small calorie deficit. And above all, lots of fresh vegetables and fruit and stay away from sugar.

Exercise is great for health but diet is the key to weight loss and management. I say this partly knowing that it difficult to keep the long daily walks going indefinitely. Most people run out of steam for this degree of exercise after a few months. Also your life will change and it may become impossible to walk so much. Then what? In the past that's when i've piled the weight back on. So watch out for that. Meanwhile if you've got good eating habits in place, modify you calorie intake to reflect the change of TDEE you should be fine. But its not particularly easy to cut back on calories when you suddenly stop exercise and this where a lot of people come unstuck, myself included. Because of this, this year i've addressed my diet and not bothered too much with exercise.

I'm near goal now and have only just started using a pedometer to do 10000. I probably should have got the pedo earlier because its easy and nice to use. You just attach it to your belt or waist band. I've just got a cheap one and i don't bother with all the clever things they can do (most of the clever ones require lots of battery charging. Mine will last for three years if i don't lose it or break it before then). I just use it to count my steps and it motivates me to move. that's why i got one. Cause so many people wrote about how motivating they are. And its true.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No, it's not normal. You shouldn't feel that way, especially from dieting.

Are you eating enough? If you don't eat enough, depression will generally follow.

I would go over all of this with a doctor and the sooner the better. People who get depressed eventually don't even care about feeling depressed because they just stop giving a chit about everything.

Get on top of this before you get worse. That's my advice.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    It depends on if it is depression. If so then see a doctor.

I however can relate right now. I am a little down at the moment. I am having a hard time and struggling and the fact that I am having a tough time and struggling is making me feel worse. The thing is you should feel better about your self every week that goes by and you continue to lose weight. 15 lbs so far is fantastic. Have faith in yourself and know that you are doing a wonderful job. As long as you continue what you are doing you will succeed and reach your goal. It is all in your head. You can do it. Feeling good about yourself and your accomplishments (now and future) will make the path easier for you.

Cheer up buttercup you are doing great and will get a lot of support on MFP.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Any time we give up something we love, it's hard to keep the "blues" from creeping in. I had the same feeling when I quit smoking. I loved my cigarettes, even though I knew they weren't good for me. And I love, love, love good food.

The great thing about the MFP plan is you can have anything you want to eat, you just have to plan a bit, weigh and measure, log it and go about your day.

Even so, I woke up this morning in a funk. Really didn't feel like taking an hour to put in my 3 miles along a route that takes me down and up (and then back) a pretty serious hill (61 ft ravine, really). But I put on my walking shoes, called the dog, and did it anyway. I didn't try and beat my speed, but I did a pretty good pace. When I got home, the "blues" had changed color a bit and I didn't feel quite as funky as I had when I started out.

AntiDepressants are not an option for me, so I have to just keep walking. I wear a Fitbit and use MapMyWalk. I get a kick out of the weekly progress reports, seeing how far I've walked/how many steps and stairs I've done. It's certainly an improvement over what I was doing 3 months ago and that, too, is cause for optimism.
  • sallybaine
    sallybaine Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad someone brought this up, makes me feel less alone. I find my mood is in direct response to my outcomes on the scale. I'm ecstatic when there's a loss, but if there's not I feel really blue.

I also just feel generally down from depriving myself. I feel like I'm putting in all the hard work, and not yet reaping the rewards of a bangin' body. It's like giving up one of life's pleasures. Some days I just feel exhausted from the constant battle to eat right, and the monotony of going to the gym.

I try and focus on the end goal, because looking down at my gut makes me feel like I have soooo long to go and it's just so hard.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad someone brought this up, makes me feel less alone. I find my mood is in direct response to my outcomes on the scale. I'm ecstatic when there's a loss, but if there's not I feel really blue.

I've been there. Please try putting the scale away for a time, if you're tempted to weigh in and have a home scale, give it to a friend to hold on to. It's baseless guilt and it's not fair to yourself, and it warps your views of success.

YOU DON"T NEED TO FEEL DEPRIVED TO LOSE WEIGHT! Also a really crappy feeling. Trust the process with tracking your food and exercise, and you'll hit your stride. I lost all of my weight on MFP (50 lbs.) never feeling deprived because I stuck to the system. I ate bacon every day for months. And bread. Deprived people don't eat bacon and bread daily and still feel deprived.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No, it's not normal. You shouldn't feel that way, especially from dieting.

Are you eating enough? If you don't eat enough, depression will generally follow.

I would go over all of this with a doctor and the sooner the better. People who get depressed eventually don't even care about feeling depressed because they just stop giving a chit about everything.

Get on top of this before you get worse. That's my advice.

This
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Blaze, that's a dangerous path you're on, wanting everything to be perfect. It can never be, and you'll have to let yourself accept "good enough for now". Or even, "oh well, mistakes happen, that's life."

OP I'll second the suggestions to get medical advice, as the blues can be caused by a whole lot of things. I find taking Vitamin D has a positive impact on my mood, but everyone is different, so it's best to get checked out by a professional.
  • sallybaine
    sallybaine Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I've been there. Please try putting the scale away for a time, if you're tempted to weigh in and have a home scale, give it to a friend to hold on to. It's baseless guilt and it's not fair to yourself, and it warps your views of success.

YOU DON"T NEED TO FEEL DEPRIVED TO LOSE WEIGHT! Also a really crappy feeling. Trust the process with tracking your food and exercise, and you'll hit your stride. I lost all of my weight on MFP (50 lbs.) never feeling deprived because I stuck to the system. I ate bacon every day for months. And bread. Deprived people don't eat bacon and bread daily and still feel deprived.

This is all such good advice, thank you :)

I really am addicted to my scales. I can't believed you lost THAT much weight eating bacon every day. I'm going on a mono bacon diet. I feel like I'm punishing myself every day, both by sweating my guts out in the gym, and forcing my body to struggle through the stomach growling hunger pains.

blazepurr I understand why you cried about overcooking your steak. I feel like the calories I do consume are so precious now, that I can't waste them. If that makes sense? It has to be really amazing food or there's no point wasting my daily calorie consumption on them.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    forcing my body to struggle through the stomach growling hunger pains.

you're doing it wrong... you dont need a massive deficit that leave you starving every day in order to lose weight... you also dont have to only eat lettuce... ensuring you get enough protein and fat should stop you being hungry all the time.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, i feel as though that's a normal response for people trying to make any sort of lifestyle chance - dietary/exercise, or otherwise.

Making changes of that nature takes a lot of energy, time, education, dedication, support, etc., so it's not as though it's going to be easy and without any sort of expenditure in terms of energy. You can't expect to always expend energy and never really get tired - which goes for you both physically, and mentally.

It's okay to get the blues and get tired and every now and then, as long as you remain realistic, pick yourself back up, and stay on track. :) It's happens to all of us at times, and even the best of us. It's a part of making healthy changes!
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    No I mean I think I'm a little OCD when it comes to preparing food. Not everything has to be perfect

OCD isn't an adjective - you can't be a 'little' OCD. Rather you have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or you don't. You can't have a 'little' of it; that's equivalent to saying you're a 'little schizophrenic' because you heard somebody calling your name, when in reality nobody really did.
  • annietud
    annietud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think that many of us get the 'blues' in relation to health/fitness.
    Everything is fine when we're not thinking I have a salad, I really want a burger, a 3 mile walk I'm too tired, its us stressing ourselves out. I want to be 10lb lighter by tomorrow, it ain't going to happen so whats the point.
    Its a journey that really speaking your doing on your own for you and no one else gets why your worried/blue.
    Take each day as it comes and if your not feeling better in a few weeks talk to your gp.x
  • Guitarist4L1fe
    Guitarist4L1fe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. I have been feeling "Blue" and dis interested in everything since losing 65 pounds in 3 1/2 months. I think i used the exact words to a co-worker " I find no joy in anything" Me and the Wife have been dealing with her elderly Mom that has been going through a lot of ups and downs over the last year. This thread made me think about it and I believe that I probably turn to food and alcohol in times of stress etc. And since I have quit drinking and currently trying to lose over 100 pounds. I have fully made the decision to make this change for life. I am fully dedicated but I really need to shake this feeling. I am bored, I love video games and have not had the desire to play, I am a musician and can't seem to muster up the drive to create music. I used to love when Friday comes along but now i could care less if its Friday or Monday. I prefer to be at work. I like to think of myself as a strong person so I will motor though this. I am sorry to make this about me LOL. But I do understand the feeling. I think as a whole we have to understand that not only are our bodies changing so is our mind. We did not get heavy or unhealthy because we love it. There is something else behind it. I think we just have to give our heads a bit of time to catch up with our bodies. But I tell you one thing i will never go back to eating like i did. I guess I loved bad food too much and need to finalize the breakup LOL. Good Luck all and I think we just need to hang in there.

Mike
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this topic, especially Mike's post. I have been feeling super down the last three weeks and cannot shake it. It stems from a minor incident but normally I guess I would have eaten to cope and moved on. Well, I've eaten alright. And eaten, and eaten. I haven't bothered tracking here at all. But now, with almost 60 pounds gone, there is tremendous guilt that goes along with me using food as anesthesia. I have to start focusing again, which is why I am here this morning.

One other thing on the blues during weight loss. I have dropped maybe 6 sizes, though I was in denial about even that until recently. I have really slacked in recent years with doing my hair, dressing nice, makeup, etc, thinking what's the point if I'm fat. So now at a size 12-14, I dressed up for an event a few weeks ago and looking in the mirror and at pictures, I realized how much older I have gotten and, I guess, how many years I wasted just saying "When I lose weight, I'll get back to living my life". It really has had me thinking and brooding over the past couple weeks. There have been lots of tears. We need to be happy with ourselves now, no matter what. That is such a cliche but it's one that finally hit me like a ton of bricks.

Sorry for rambling. Sounds like weight loss and depression are very much linked for many of us.