Posterior tib tendonitis - how to keep up my fitness?

Options
Hi guys, I'm a new runner and I guess I got too excited and overused my tendon. I thought it was fine to run consecutive 5km even though i have just been running for a few weeks because I can manage the cardiovascular endurance needed. Unfortunately, my tendons weren't ready. When i do foot inversion and plantar flexion on my left and right feet, i feel that painful pull on my lower calf. I can still walk fine, just mild pain sometimes when I walk and when I walk down stairs but it is tolerable so I know the injury is not some sort of a tear or whatever. And yeah, I have that symptom where the pain sorts of goes away when the tendon has sort of "warmed up".

Anyway, I wanted to know which types of exercises I can still do? I am running to lose weight and this injury really annoyed me since I think I'm going to stop running for a few weeks. Any cardiovascular exercises and strength training exercises that's okay for this kind of injury? I don't want to return to running with a lower fitness level. I itch like hell when I resume running from a low fitness level. Your tips will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Does non impact stuff bother the tendon? Like an elliptical or bike?
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options
    Check your running form and also your gait. Over pronation and form issues gave me trouble after running for 6 months. A simple insole and a form tweak has taken me from struggling to walk to getting back to running almost daily :)
  • loombands29
    Options
    How do I do that, I mean checking my gait? Do i need professional help to check on that?
  • loombands29
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know. I don't do elliptical nor biking. I do a cardiovascular routine when I can't run. It includes jumping jacks and I don't know if it's bad for the tendon? At first, I can feel some pain, then it sort of "warms up" and I'll be able to go along with my routine like I don't have any injury at all. The pain will return after i rest my feet for sometime and walk again.

When I do squats or lunges for strength training, I feel no pain on it so is it fine If i continue these types of exercises?
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options
    You can check your running shoes to show possible gait issues - if they are worn down on one side etc. go see your doc and/or get referred to a podiatrist etc. its not wise to just run through the pain. Does it ease up with rest?
  • loombands29
    Options
    You can check your running shoes to show possible gait issues - if they are worn down on one side etc. go see your doc and/or get referred to a podiatrist etc. its not wise to just run through the pain. Does it ease up with rest?

Yes, the pain subsides with rest. Pressing the area , just above the ankle doesn't hurt either. Only foot inversion and plantar-flexion of the feet causes pain.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have this going on right now too. It sucks!! Apart from what others have said about making sure your shoes fit correctly and are in good condition, etc - do you have access to a gym? I've been using the rowing machine and that doesn't seem to aggravate my ankle. And yes, I think lunges and squats are fine as long as you don't feel it twinging. I did a session with those yesterday and it seemed ok. Good luck! Dumb tendons!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I do a cardiovascular routine when I can't run. It includes jumping jacks and I don't know if it's bad for the tendon? At first, I can feel some pain, then it sort of "warms up" and I'll be able to go along with my routine like I don't have any injury at all.

It's best to avoid activities that hurt it - even if the pain will go away after it warms up. Activities that don't hurt should be fine, like squats & lunges.

By the way, Post. Tib. Tendonitis usually hurts on the inside of the foot, around the ankle. If it hurts in back, it could be your Achilles tendon. The Achilles is easy to feel with your fingers.

As far as running form, it's best checked by an experienced runner or running coach. Or run on a treadmill and video yourself from behind, at knee level.
    Check if your arches are flat while standing barefoot, like the picture on the left:

ioPCd.jpg