UGHH Sodium!!!! Over again help!!!

Options
I just added sodium to my food diary 3 days ago and I realized I have consistenly been way over! I just can't seem to keep it in check even though I still have lots of calories left each day! Suggestions????

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: bread, cheese, and processed (packaged foods) are the major offenders.....eat more fruits, vegetables, lean meats, oatmeal :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I was going over (not by a ton, but over) the first week until I started tracking it, too. Since then, I have been able to stay under every day - though some days are tougher than others.

A couple of things you can do to cut back on the sodium -
    Watch the packaged foods/seasonings, soups, canned veggies, etc.
    Watch "light" or "low cal" entrees - often lower in fat or calories, but much higher in sodium.
    Eat more protein, fruit, veggies, or other items that are low in sodium.

I usually allow for one meal to be higher in sodium by keeping it in check the rest of the day. My daily snack staples tend to be string cheese, raisin/almond mix, chewy granola bars, fruit, etc., and that helps to minimize the sodium.
  • VictoriaMilanowski
    Options
    I know what you mean! I was ambitious when I signed up last wednesday thinking that I would try to keep my sodium under 2000mg instead of the recommended 2500mg's. Heart disease runs in my family and I thought it couldn't hurt to keep a good eye on that now. However, I have been doing well just to keep it close to the 2500!! It's so hard because the more processed a food is, the more sodium it will have. But, processed is fast... with busy, hectic schedules it's hard to avoid that all together. So I guess I have no good answer other than I am right there with you. I have an equally hard time with sugar... seems everything low fat is high sugar... guess there has to be one or the other for the food to have good flavor. Good luck!!
  • jlmnk1313
    jlmnk1313 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am going to rethink my eating AGAIN! Processed foods are quicker and with 3 kids just plain easier! lol Well we will all be making changes! Just when I think I have it figured out something new comes along that I have to alter things again! Hopefully one day I will get it all figured out!
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I added you as a friend so I could look at your diary to give some input :smile:

Did you see how much sodium is in the elsewise-great tomato juice? I'm having a similar issue on my meal plan tomorrow; I got this nice low-cal tomato soup to bring to work, but it's ruining my sodium numbers. Maybe we'll both have to find a low-sodium version!
  • jlmnk1313
    Options
    Yeah I can't believe you can go wrong with Tomato Juice! It's from a freaking tomato lol Let me know if you find one!
  • steveohypertension
    steveohypertension Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    only on here for a couple of days, I'm on a 1500 mg sodium/4 sat fat program ... you can check out my food diary anytime
  • jlmnk1313
    Options
    Thanks and I am SO gonna do that!!!