Weight lifting

Options
I'm newer to lifting weights. I'm motivated to start losing weight but also have decent muscle too. I use the machines at the gym like the typical ones that are at most gyms. then I have a kettle bell at home where I do these exercises (except the mndmill and half get up)
Whats the best way to achieve strong arms like the women in the fitness magazines?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do a weight lifting program that is conducive to strength gains. Generally, a progressive weight lifting program that has a lot of focus on compound lifts. I would recommend looking into programs like "the new rules of lifting for women", strong lift 5x5 or beginner lift 5x5.

Now keep in mind, the women in magazines have two things going for them... years of training and most importantly, photoshop.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Do a weight lifting program that is conducive to strength gains. Generally, a progressive weight lifting program that has a lot of focus on compound lifts. I would recommend looking into programs like "the new rules of lifting for women", strong lift 5x5 or beginner lift 5x5.

Now keep in mind, the women in magazines have two things going for them... years of training and most importantly, photoshop.
    All of this.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    consistancy. forever. its not gonna happen over night, you probably won't start to see results for 8 or more weeks, but stick with whatever program you choose. in a year from now you'll have those arms you want.
  • spulia1
    spulia1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I had a lot of success with Strong Lifts 5x5. I gained a lot of strength but I didn't lose or gain weight. If you take that route, you MUST sign up for the emails... they are hysterically bad but informative. There's a pretty simple app too that I found helpful.
  • auddii
    Options

I had a lot of success with Strong Lifts 5x5. I gained a lot of strength but I didn't lose or gain weight. If you take that route, you MUST sign up for the emails... they are hysterically bad but informative. There's a pretty simple app too that I found helpful.
    You don't need to sign up for the emails. I lost about 30lbs while doing strong lifts, and I continue to lose even though I switched weight lifting programs. I stop losing when I'm not strict in my calorie counting. Lifting can cause initial stalls in weight loss due to water retention, but the weight will eventually come off if you are eating at a deficit.

I consider the emails a waste of money (nevermind rather insulting since he's convinced that women aren't really good for much and don't need to lift).
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Almost any weight training program will do as long as it's reasonable and you put in real effort. The women in fitness magazines look muscular because they are lean, and you get lean by watching your food. Learn about macros, count your calories, read labels. You don't want to overdo it on your lifting program but you do want to get very strict on food.
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You are not going to make any gains using the resistance machines at the gym. You need to start lifting free weights if you want to make real progress. I like doing most of my exercises alternating arms on a stability ball, this will really engage the core and start building a six pack without even having to isolate the core.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Honestly any style of lifting will work. Machines at the gym, free weights, hell even Zuzka's short workouts (her progression since she left bodyrock) and people who do cross fit.
    I guess my point is, any style of strength training will help as long as you enjoy what you do.
  • weightloss4me21
    Options
    I am a bit shy when going to the gym. I like using the weight lifting machines since theres nobody around me
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Heavy compound lifts :smokin:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I am a bit shy when going to the gym. I like using the weight lifting machines since theres nobody around me

No need to be shy. In fact, the people in the freeweights section tend to be very helpful and nice.

Check this thread out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169757-i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym
  • weightloss4me21
    Options
    thanks!
  • jabarih
    jabarih Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that you will probably be VERY sore, especially when you work your legs. Don't give up after this happens!
  • auddii
    Options
    You are not going to make any gains using the resistance machines at the gym. You need to start lifting free weights if you want to make real progress. I like doing most of my exercises alternating arms on a stability ball, this will really engage the core and start building a six pack without even having to isolate the core.
    You can make gains using resistance machines. Many people consider free weights more effective because you use more muscles to stabilize and machines are inherently isolation exercises. And most people I talk to say that using a stability ball is far more likely to just lead to injury. Just doing compound lifts will strengthen your core; no reason to add the stability ball.