Yet only my hamstrings, etc are sore.
I tried to isolate.
Made sure I used proper form...
What gives?

Replies

• darkypoo
    darkypoo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You're going to hurt no matter what if you do an intense workout. My arms are a bit sore from the weights I did early this morning, even with proper form. :P
  • sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You're going to hurt no matter what if you do an intense workout. My arms are a bit sore from the weights I did early this morning, even with proper form. :P

Ohhh, no no. I know that. But my butt isn't sore. And I want it to be. That way I know I'm actually working my glutes.:laugh:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Check out Bret Contreras' Strong Curves. Good program for working those glutes.
  • wrkowt70
    wrkowt70 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Did squats.
    I tried to isolate.
    What gives?

Weighted lunges would have made the quads sore
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    Try some weighted backward lunges, they always hit my butt way more than any of the others..
  • jt_alucard
    jt_alucard Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Lunges work great for that
  • sensitivefool
    Options
    Check out Bret Contreras' Strong Curves. Good program for working those glutes.

Ok, will do! :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Did squats.
    I tried to isolate.
    What gives?

I second Strong Curves. Also Deadlifts and Front Squats. Also weighed glute bridges.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    hammies make up part of your butt. you WANT that part to hurt. keep at it.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    And by the way, there is an old video called Buns of Steel. That jammie still works. you want you butt to hurt, do that. It's cheesy and 80's like but I'm sure you tube has it somewhere. The guys name is Greg Smithey. Trust me when I tell you it's an *kitten*-burner.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Hip-thrusts.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Did squats.
    I tried to isolate.
    What gives?

I second Strong Curves. Also Deadlifts and Front Squats. Also weighed glute bridges.

...and hip thrusters. (ants are fast. just sayin')
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Maybe try dropping lower on your squat and always drive up through the heels. If you are having a problem getting low and keeping your back straight, do some box squats.

I also recommend front squats (do that on a different day from regular squats because if you can do them both on the same day you are doing it wrong), weighted lunges, lunged with a glute kick back, hip thrusts, leg press (different leg variations) and my favorite glute hyper extensions (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zgOobV8skg).
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    For squats, also make sure you are getting to a decent depth (at least parallel) but as others have mentioned....squats, deads, thrusts, glute bridges, lunges, step-ups are all awesome for glute activation. I don't feel my glutes activated as much with squats eithers, but thrusts and deads (especially American deadlifts) watch out.

Good luck!
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think I only just realised how to get the butt burn in squats.

You've got to squeeze those glutes and use them to power you up, weight on your heels.

I too was only getting achey thighs etc, when I didn't really engage my glutes, and was bending too far forward.
  • sensitivefool
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I'll try it all! Just not on the same day. :P
  • NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Did squats.
    I tried to isolate.
    What gives?

This. I love booty workouts!
  • da_bears1008
    Options
    Doing front squats made my quads hurt like crazy...
  • da_bears1008
    Options
    Also.. barbell hip thrusts. *kitten* for days!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    My glutes are never sore from squats, just hams like you mentioned. Front squats are more quads. Hip-thrusts would be great but I haven't figured out a good setup in my home gym. Glute bridges and Bulgarian split squats kill my glutes good enough though. Bret Contreras can tell you everything you need to know (and more) about glute training.
    http://bretcontreras.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/bretcontreras1