do you think there's a weight your body wants to center arou

Options
I've lost 8 pounds now and am down to 130lbs. I'm pretty happy here, but I have another 5-7 "vanity" pounds I'd like to lose before my wedding.

I just CAN'T get past 130! This seems to be the weight my body wants to be!

I recently re-read a People Magazine article about Kate Gosselin and she said the same thing. She runs all the time and eats healthy (looks great too!) but can't get past 130.

Any insight or similar experiences?

Replies

• Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    yes! i am the same height and use to be 135. i lost ten then gained five. my body wants to be 130 but i dont want it to be. Im not going down without a fight. I want to be 110 and someday i hope to be 115.
  • bunnyvalentine
    Options
    I kinda wonder the same thing. There's been 2 times in my life I remember actually being overweight for my 5'0" frame - once when I was 125, and once when I was 137 - and both times I set out to lose weight I lost it all quickly. Now I hover around 114-118, and that's it. Sometimes I can get it down to around 112, but really it's not about weight, so much as wanting to burn off the fat that I see hanging around. I've read that when you get down to a lower weight you often end up having to work even harder to lose that "last 5 lbs." Really making sure you stick to your healthy diet is important too, but I think in order to move past - especially if you feel like your body can be fitter and stronger, it'll just mean more hard work, getting some interval cardio in there, making sure you're getting the most out of your workout and not just sticking to the same routine your body might be use to.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think your body does tend to "plateau" and seems to not want to lose any more weight after a certain point and typically - this will always be one you start to get towards or near your goal / ideal weight.

Remember - the lighter you are - the less calories you burn just "existing" and therefore to lose any additional weight, it's harder to create that calorie deficit where every 3,500 = 1lb.

Have you maintained the same net calories throughout or have you reduced what you are eating / increased the exercise as you've lost the weight ??

IN 2009, I lost a heck of a lot of weight .... 112lb in 6 months and then it just stopped regardless of the exercise I was doing / calorie intake reduction.

It got disheartening to think I was still going to have to "run like a mad-man" and "eat like a pigeon" just to maintain that current weight that through 2010, I stopped running and went back to old bad habits and then put 60Ib back on :-(

I've started 2011 with the same positive attitude that I started 2009 ..... 22lb of it gone so far with another 40 to go just to get back to where I was a year ago.

That'll be my mental battle .... will my body once again want to settle at the current weight - 40 ?? .... or will I be able to lose those few extra "vanity pounds" ??

Good luck :-)
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a very unnatural process to get body fat percents into single digits. Our body wants to store fat in case of a famine.
  • mlm7944
    mlm7944 Posts: 15
    Options
    I think your body does have a natural weight that it seems to be most comfortable at. :-) I am 5'4" and tend to stay around 130 lb. At the most fit point of my life, I was about 115-118, but during college I gained about 20 pounds. I've been back to 119lb. but can't ever seem to maintain it. I'm not sure if it's just that I've become more comfortable with myself at 130 lbs or that my body naturally does want to carry a few more pounds of fat that I'd like it to.

Like you, I'm not satisfied with the excess fat and ultimately would like to see lean muscle in my abs, thighs, glutes and arms again!

What is your ratio of carbs: protein: fat? I've been following a 40:40:20 ratio and it's been working fairly well for me, knock on wood. We have a friend who is a body builder and he advised us of some supplements he takes and his diet (which essentially is lean protein, complex carbs and good quality fats (omega 3s). It's a very clean way of eating. I also just started taking a few supplements beside my multivitamins, mainly amino acids. So far, I feel very good and have lots of energy.

I would also agree that you need to be sure to continue to change up your workouts to keep you interested and create "muscle confusion." I'm currently using a variety of workouts from Beachbody: P90, P90X, Slim in Six, Turbo Jam, Great Body Guaranteed, as well as running, jump rope, yoga, and the Abdoer Twist.

Stick with it! You will look fabulous by your wedding. If nothing else, you will be more toned, have more endurance for your honeymoon ( ;-), and start your married life in a very positive place, mentally, physically and emotionally.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i have been struggling with that idea a lot lately too! for a long time my body hovered around 140 (i'm 5'3") eating what i wanted and not consistently exercising, now that i exercise consistently and pay attention to what i eat, i am at a healthier 128ish...i am at a weight that is lower than any adult weight that i have seen ever!!! i have been maintaining this point for about 6 months give or take a pound or two...i am happy at this weight most of the time, but similarly i want to lose a few 'vanity' pounds for my wedding (124 is my goal)...i want to be at a weight i can maintain, but i also want a weight i am happy with, i don't think that is too much to ask! my body is being stubborn though!
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Lol all this talk of the body not "wanting" to lose anymore weight is kind of ridiculous. If you're in calorie deficit then you're going to lose weight, regardless of what your body "thinks" about your weight.
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    I've lost 8 pounds now and am down to 130lbs. I'm pretty happy here, but I have another 5-7 "vanity" pounds I'd like to lose before my wedding.

I just CAN'T get past 130! This seems to be the weight my body wants to be!

I recently re-read a People Magazine article about Kate Gosselin and she said the same thing. She runs all the time and eats healthy (looks great too!) but can't get past 130.

Any insight or similar experiences?

Ah Yeah and for me it's about 30lbs. more than I need to carry around. I know someone who will remain anonymous, that always said that....my body steadies out at about ___lbs. Unfortunately that weight was about 100lbs. more than this unnamed person needed to weigh, but it did allow for whatever wanted to be eaten and no exercise. You don't need to lose much, if any weight, so you are probably doing what that type personality tends to do and not eating enough...sounds crazy, but from what I'm seeing on MFP, it is very important to eat to lose...go figger. Just make it count and maybe up the exercise and water. But what do I know...I new here! Good luck with your goal and your upcoming wedding!