Calling you busy mommas.

Options
Hello, I just have a question for you, how in the world do you find time to exercise and what kind do you do?

I work from home and I'm either A.working B.cleaning C.cooking food lol D.getting my son down for nap or E.chasing after my son. I find it so hard to get in any time to exercise. I have been doing really well on my calories and for that I am so proud of myself. I have lost 7 lbs and for that too I am extremely proud. I've never been able to stick with something and now I am. YAY me. But I digress, the point here is now I finally have a schedule per se as to when to work, when to eat, and nap times (my son is 1 1/2) cleaning all that but I can't find the time to get in a workout and it's frustrating.

What do you do for exercise? And how do you find the time to get everything done and work out. I need some support here. I almost feel like I'm not doing enough by not working out. I don't want to derail myself. Know what I mean? Thanks all.

Replies

• DanaDane83
    Options
    I'm not a mommy. I saw this exact question on TV and they said to make your daily mommy duties into exercise. When your playing with you son have him sit on your legs and lift as if he were your weight. They just showed different activites you can actually do with you child that kill two birds with one stone. Hope that is some help. Good luck
  • tifanieb
    tifanieb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i bench press my 25 pound 1 1/2 year old, do my work out videos while he is strapped in his highchair eating his breakfast and then he shares mine when i am done, I put on the music and he comes up with his arms raised and we dance around the house, spinning, bouncing, and yes i dip him and he squeals with delight. i do the leg raises with him sitting on my feet. i throw him in the air all the time. give piggy back rides. and stick him in the stroller for a walk and he enjoys it as much as i do! LOL. This is my third baby and i wish i would have done it sooner! I really hope this helps you from one mommy to another
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    I do the Wii fit. And I do it after my kiddos are in bed.
    "work out" by bend pressing your kid/s. I lay on my back, knees bent, and do sit ups or crunches while holding my child in the air, with my arms bent, but not bent too much. and pull them closer to me, as I do the crunch. they think its hilarious! When my 1 year old is napping, I get my 3 year old to work out with me. whether dancing, yoga, stretching, etc. she loves it.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    remember this, short five minute bursts of exercise will add up! Encourage your child do "exercises" with you. Running in place, marching in place, jumping jacks and pushups... these are things you can do bursts of while he is distracted, or he can do them with you. A dance DVD would be enjoyed by both of you I bet. Imagine the smiles you will share! Good luck on your weight loss journey. They are giving you some great ideas here!
  • spayne_4
    spayne_4 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ahh... this is so hard when you have so much to do!! I know people who say what you stay at home all day?? How do you not have the time?? but seriously time FLIES!! And there IS so much to do!! Anyway, I have three little ones all under four so I understand!! Since I started MFP and working out it has been something that I need to FIND the time to do. Sometimes it means waking up early or working out after the kids are in bed. I usually have a two hour period when the kids go down for a nap (except my oldest) so I make sure if I can't workout early in the morning or that night after they go to bed to do it then. I used to take that time for me and blog, clean, cook, laundry, read, etc... but since starting I have had to sacrifice that and workout instead. When I first started I would do the 30 day shred in the morning which lasts 20 min. and is a really good workout. I would do it while the kids ate breakfast and be right next to them. Then in the afternoon I would do one of my Zumba videos that were from 35-50 min depending on which one. Then at night I'd finish up the Zumba I didn't do that day or go walking with my friend. So I would get in 1-2 hours of exercise just not all at the same time. It wasn't always like that sometimes more, sometimes less but I was able to do it. It was harder too since I had a newborn and trying to juggle with our other two little ones.

Now they coordinate naps so I just stick to one workout. I am currently doing Turbo fire (finishing week 2 Whoo Hoo!!) So It depends on the day, I have at most an hour long workout. I do it when they nap. If I miss it then just at night after the kiddos are asleep. It is hard. My oldest even joins me in on the jumping in Turbo fire or stretching. It is so cute! I've sacrificed my "Me" time of blogging, reading, cleaning for "ME" time to exercise. I feel great though when I am done and the energy is amazing so it is worth it. It's always a struggle and sometimes just not possible but you do what you can as a mom! Keep it up!! Add me as a friend! :O) Hope this helps!
  • bribra34
    Options
    I work full-time and my husband is a stay-at-home dad. When I get home from work, I eat, then head straight to the gym for a good 60-90 minute workout. I then come home, and hubby goes to the gym while I wind down with my little man (one year old) and put him to bed.

After he's down, I usually do some sort of abs, leg lifts or use out Xbox Kinect.

I will add, that some days when hubby and I want to work out together, we'll bring our son to the gyms daycare (not very often, because the times he does go, he ends up sick) but at least he can have some other kiddo interaction.

You can do it! Just remember, your kids will thank you later in life if you are healthy and can be a role model. They won't be mad at you for leaving them to work out and stay in their lives longer. Just my opinion. :)
  • BreeWilder
    BreeWilder Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Busy mommy's! It's hard to find the time! I do the 30 Day Shred which is 20 minutes long. First of all, it takes my kid 15 minutes to eat his breakfast. So I get my video all ready to go, strap him into his seat and do my workout while he eats! He sits there and entertains himself while I finish up. Secondly, I have found that if I tell myself that I'm going to workout for an hour I can find 1000 other things to do. But TWENTY minutes? I can totally do that! Also, I do squats while feeding my son. I also try to do all my cleaning (and I clean vigorously) right after I workout so I continue to sweat while I clean! Good luck finding what works for you!
  • prencesskl
    Options
    Jillian mIchaels 30 min shred is great b/c it's only 20 min, but I also do wii either with him in my hand or in some kind of equipment because he likes watching the mii's
  • cohollywood
    Options
    I hear ya! I nanny 2-4 days a week, have a four year old son, own my own photography business which typically means photo shoots on the weekend and 8-12 hours of photo work during the week. It's rough! When I set my weight loss goal, I involved my husband. I told him my plan and made sure he was okay with it, and luckily he was.

My hubby gets home from work at 5:30. I make sure dinner for him and my son is ready at that time (I eat separate foods from them, so I generally eat my dinner while I am cooking theirs). As soon as he gets home, I am ready to run out the door and head to the gym. I only do a 30-40 minute workout, but I do it every day (typically). It stinks not eating dinner as a family, and it's a big sacrifice we've all had to make, but eventually, I'll cut back on my workouts and we'll find a new routine.

On the nights I nanny, I do not get home until the same time as my husband, so sometimes on those nights, I will just do a workout upstairs after we all eat.

Good luck!
  • melaniencleo
    Options
    I also struggle with getting in some time for me to exercise everyday- but I have tried this and it seems to be working. I don't get as much workout as I wish I could but- I pop in the Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds 2 mile walk which is about 30 minutes long and pop it in my laptop and get walking right in the living room- I turn on whatever cartoon I can find on the tv and get walking. My 22 month old son has even started to get into it and pretends to walk and throws his hands around in the air with me. I sometimes have to stop and take care of him but I just hit pause and continue moving until I can start walking again. There is a few on her videos on Youtube you can try out- I can't wait to get him strolling when this weather warms up and the snow melts (20 inches outside right now) but for now I am moving as much as I can inside! Good Luck and remember you have to have some time for you!
  • AydensMom528
    Options
    I'm not a mommy. I saw this exact question on TV and they said to make your daily mommy duties into exercise. When your playing with you son have him sit on your legs and lift as if he were your weight. They just showed different activites you can actually do with you child that kill two birds with one stone. Hope that is some help. Good luck

Hey that is a great idea. Thank you so much for posting! :)
  • AydensMom528
    Options
    i bench press my 25 pound 1 1/2 year old, do my work out videos while he is strapped in his highchair eating his breakfast and then he shares mine when i am done, I put on the music and he comes up with his arms raised and we dance around the house, spinning, bouncing, and yes i dip him and he squeals with delight. i do the leg raises with him sitting on my feet. i throw him in the air all the time. give piggy back rides. and stick him in the stroller for a walk and he enjoys it as much as i do! LOL. This is my third baby and i wish i would have done it sooner! I really hope this helps you from one mommy to another
    That's a great idea. I was just thinking about that yesterday. I say Zumba and was thinking hey I just need to put on some music and we can dance together! :)
    I'm always chasing and throwing him, never thought about that being considered exercise. Thanks you! :)
  • AydensMom528
    Options
    I do the Wii fit. And I do it after my kiddos are in bed.
    "work out" by bend pressing your kid/s. I lay on my back, knees bent, and do sit ups or crunches while holding my child in the air, with my arms bent, but not bent too much. and pull them closer to me, as I do the crunch. they think its hilarious! When my 1 year old is napping, I get my 3 year old to work out with me. whether dancing, yoga, stretching, etc. she loves it.

Awww that is so cute. What a wonderful idea. You ladies are great. Thank you
  • AydensMom528
    Options
    remember this, short five minute bursts of exercise will add up! Encourage your child do "exercises" with you. Running in place, marching in place, jumping jacks and pushups... these are things you can do bursts of while he is distracted, or he can do them with you. A dance DVD would be enjoyed by both of you I bet. Imagine the smiles you will share! Good luck on your weight loss journey. They are giving you some great ideas here!

You are absolutely right, never thought about the short burst I was thinking more of all at once but you are right short burst do add up. Thank you so much!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I meal plan for the following week Friday, buy groceries and Saturday and spend a couple hours Sunday doing some cooking so that dinners are just about ready to go on the work days. I have my four year old help occassionally with the cooking and prep so that we can spend even five minutes together so she knows what good healthy food is about.
    I eat the same breakfast and lunch Mon-Fri and take the stuff to work with me Monday so I can assemble there instead of in the morning or the night before.
    I work until 4, go to the gym and get home around 5:30 - 6:00 and we eat, I take a shower, we hang for an hourish and then my daughter goes to bed. I don't get as much time with her and my husband as I would like during the week, but we make what we have count.
    Once you get into a routine and get yourself and your family used to it it is easier. Does it help with the mommy-guilt that you're taking time away from the family? NO...but it does give you time to yourself which is needed to be a good parent/wife in the first place.
  • AydensMom528
    Options
    ahh... this is so hard when you have so much to do!! I know people who say what you stay at home all day?? How do you not have the time?? but seriously time FLIES!! And there IS so much to do!! Anyway, I have three little ones all under four so I understand!! Since I started MFP and working out it has been something that I need to FIND the time to do. Sometimes it means waking up early or working out after the kids are in bed. I usually have a two hour period when the kids go down for a nap (except my oldest) so I make sure if I can't workout early in the morning or that night after they go to bed to do it then. I used to take that time for me and blog, clean, cook, laundry, read, etc... but since starting I have had to sacrifice that and workout instead. When I first started I would do the 30 day shred in the morning which lasts 20 min. and is a really good workout. I would do it while the kids ate breakfast and be right next to them. Then in the afternoon I would do one of my Zumba videos that were from 35-50 min depending on which one. Then at night I'd finish up the Zumba I didn't do that day or go walking with my friend. So I would get in 1-2 hours of exercise just not all at the same time. It wasn't always like that sometimes more, sometimes less but I was able to do it. It was harder too since I had a newborn and trying to juggle with our other two little ones.

Now they coordinate naps so I just stick to one workout. I am currently doing Turbo fire (finishing week 2 Whoo Hoo!!) So It depends on the day, I have at most an hour long workout. I do it when they nap. If I miss it then just at night after the kiddos are asleep. It is hard. My oldest even joins me in on the jumping in Turbo fire or stretching. It is so cute! I've sacrificed my "Me" time of blogging, reading, cleaning for "ME" time to exercise. I feel great though when I am done and the energy is amazing so it is worth it. It's always a struggle and sometimes just not possible but you do what you can as a mom! Keep it up!! Add me as a friend! :O) Hope this helps!

awww thank. I added you! This is some great advice. I'm thinking of buying the Zumba videos. Maybe we can just dance together then. He is still little but the other day when I was doing a crunch video off netflix he kept looking at the women on the tv then looking at me like "wow you are doing the same thing" LOL so maybe he would like that. He loves music and dancing.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I use workout DVD's in the morning while my kids are still asleep and before work. In the middle of the workout we wake them up to get ready for school. i also jog at lunch at the gym for 20 minutes.
  • AydensMom528
    Options
    Busy mommy's! It's hard to find the time! I do the 30 Day Shred which is 20 minutes long. First of all, it takes my kid 15 minutes to eat his breakfast. So I get my video all ready to go, strap him into his seat and do my workout while he eats! He sits there and entertains himself while I finish up. Secondly, I have found that if I tell myself that I'm going to workout for an hour I can find 1000 other things to do. But TWENTY minutes? I can totally do that! Also, I do squats while feeding my son. I also try to do all my cleaning (and I clean vigorously) right after I workout so I continue to sweat while I clean! Good luck finding what works for you!

I've been thinking about getting that 30 day shred. Julian is a beast lol. Never thought about doing my cleaning after a workout to keep up the heart rate and clean vigorously. Good idea. Thanks!
  • AydensMom528
    Options
    Jillian mIchaels 30 min shred is great b/c it's only 20 min, but I also do wii either with him in my hand or in some kind of equipment because he likes watching the mii's

aww that's cute. After all the comments about the 30 day shred I'm thinking of purchasing it. Thanks!
  • AydensMom528
    Options
    I also struggle with getting in some time for me to exercise everyday- but I have tried this and it seems to be working. I don't get as much workout as I wish I could but- I pop in the Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds 2 mile walk which is about 30 minutes long and pop it in my laptop and get walking right in the living room- I turn on whatever cartoon I can find on the tv and get walking. My 22 month old son has even started to get into it and pretends to walk and throws his hands around in the air with me. I sometimes have to stop and take care of him but I just hit pause and continue moving until I can start walking again. There is a few on her videos on Youtube you can try out- I can't wait to get him strolling when this weather warms up and the snow melts (20 inches outside right now) but for now I am moving as much as I can inside! Good Luck and remember you have to have some time for you!

How cute! Yes I am SOOO ready for the weather to warm up. Because then I want to take him to the park in the mornings or right after daddy gets home. And walk while they play. That will be nice. Thanks for the advice! :)