Anybody surprised how well calorie counting works?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not really...when you understand energy balance and you understand that a calorie is a unit of energy, it's not surprising at all. Of course, 5th grade math isn't going to equate to a billion dollar diet and fitness industry, so it's not going to get much play...nothing to sell. The diet and fitness industry at large is built on ignorance and desperation.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I was also thinking the same thing, I'm glad you brought it up. I've forever hovered around 140lbs. and did years of cardio with no real budge in weight loss. Because I thought I could eat anything it never occurred to me that I may be over eating. I guess I was and now I'm down 15lbs. my lowest since high school. Yea MFP and yea for me!!!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love MFP and how well it works! The diet industry demonises 'calorie counting', and so do a couple of my overweight friends. I stopped trying to change their mind about it. But I find it easy, and weighing my food is something I actually enjoy (didn't anyone always wonder how much they were actually eating, while gaining weight? I always did, and never owned scales so I couldn't even check out of interest).

I feel like I lucked out though - I put in my height and weight and goals, MFP gave me a set number of calories to eat, I log my exercise and eat them back. I lose pretty steadily. I don't have to fiddle with figuring my BMR and TDEE and calculating percentages to find my number, I don't have to worry about only eating 83.6% of my exercise calories back. MFP gives me a green number, that's how much I'm allowed to eat!

I know every body is different so I'm not judging, just happy to be one of the 'average' people like their forumulas are based on I guess lol.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I always knew that calorie counting worked, so it never really surprised me in that way.

But, when I'm not counting calories, I never really think that I'm eating that much food and it always surprises me how much I used to eat without even realizing it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was surprised at how not-hungry I felt when I had a reasonable calorie goal. I was surprised at how much "nutritious" food I actually needed to meet my RDA (not as much as I'd thought). I was surprised at the effects of "only" 30 minutes of walk/running 3 days a week. I was surprised at how little time logging my food actually took.

I'm really surprised at how difficult we make it for ourselves when there is literally no reason.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I tell my friends, family and coworkers that it's just "old school calorie counting" and they're usually surprised because there are so many fad diets out there. :bigsmile:
  • sandraeward
    sandraeward Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Basic math logic. If you burn more fuel than you have in the main tank, then you will dip into your reserves to keep going.

I am surprised at how quickly I began losing weight. I lost 10 pounds in 20 days with very little effort, which surprised me
    I was expecting weight loss but not that quickly with no added exercise.
    I did add a little exercise the past few days, but not a HUGE effort. Just walking the dog and riding my bike a little

Keeping a record of my diet has caused me to be aware of my healthy and not so healthy food choices. I am drinking much less coffee because I could see that I was getting a small meal worth of calories with each coffee. (I like sweet coffee) So I am instead choosing to have a small 150-200 calorie meal of real food. That one action has changed everything about my weight loss.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think it is all calories in vs. calories out. Obviously on one level it is, but if you notice .. there are A LOT of "I'm doing all the right things and it isn't working" posts out there. There is a ton of advice on drink more water, exercise less your cortisol is too high, its your time of the month, you are gaining muscle .. etc etc etc. I just did a DietBet that is ALLLLL about the scale and that final number. If I didn't eat enough, my body didn't lose weight, if I had too much sodium my body held onto water. I had 1200 calories a day and exercised 250-300 calories 6 days a week and didn't lose anything for 3 weeks and then only dropped 1.5 pounds. I weighed everything and counted meticulously .. didn't eat my exercise calories.. used an HRM for exercise.

So .. while yes it is on some level calories in vs. calories out, it isn't always that simple.
    Because when someone says they are "doing it right", it must actually mean they are doing it right.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think it is all calories in vs. calories out. Obviously on one level it is, but if you notice .. there are A LOT of "I'm doing all the right things and it isn't working" posts out there. There is a ton of advice on drink more water, exercise less your cortisol is too high, its your time of the month, you are gaining muscle .. etc etc etc. I just did a DietBet that is ALLLLL about the scale and that final number. If I didn't eat enough, my body didn't lose weight, if I had too much sodium my body held onto water. I had 1200 calories a day and exercised 250-300 calories 6 days a week and didn't lose anything for 3 weeks and then only dropped 1.5 pounds. I weighed everything and counted meticulously .. didn't eat my exercise calories.. used an HRM for exercise.

So .. while yes it is on some level calories in vs. calories out, it isn't always that simple.
    Because when someone says they are "doing it right", it must actually mean they are doing it right.

Well I don't know about all the somebodies .. I just know me and I know how I did it. It wasn't as simple as calories in vs. calories out.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bump to share with some of my friends who are still stuck in the "overly complicating things" mode!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! ok I do more exercise but ive tried every diet going which are basically calorie controlled diets and failed by stripping it back to this and logging im getting there well done you on your fab loss
  • dsusanka
    dsusanka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find that if I really want something that will put me over my calories for the day, I need to plan to work out to offset those additional calories. While I don't want to get into a habit or mindset of "punishing" myself for eating a donut or making another less than optimal food choice by needing to work out to offset those calories, I am more inclined to make better choices with my caloric intake. Yesterday I knew I was going to have a higher calorie dinner (Buffalo Wild Wings) so I made sure I got in a workout beforehand to offset those additional calories. I also planned what I was going to eat there ahead of time so I didn't go way over my calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Not surprised, but amazed, MFP takes the anxiety out of the equation and replaces it with overview. I have done this before, but what surprised me this time, was how easy it is to prepare, feel full and be satisfied on real, cheap, yummy, full fat, whole foods, and that I even can make room for occasional "empty calorie" treats. It's all about amounts and frequency.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that in the beginning it did kinda shock me that you really could eat what you want and lose weight. I had never studied nutrition before starting so I came in thinking what most people do.....sugar is bad, carbs are bad, have to eat "clean", it has to be miserable to succeed...all the myths like that. Of course, the forums taught me a lot, and made me start reading science and understanding it. Now it is of no shock at all to me cause I realize it really is just about energy balance.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    For me I don't care about calories, I originally came just fir the android app, to keep a check on my carbs and sugars.
    Some days I do binge, though knowing I have to put it in my diary, and have now set it for friends to look at, it seems to be making me think twice.

Like today, was quite stressful, normally i'd get some snacks to chill out, but for 1st time I thought nahhhhhh, doing too well, so just came home.

So my attitude towards binging also seems to be changing for the better....
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Not surprised myself, but I find other people are surprised when I tell them how I am losing the weight. A calorie deficit, and exercise to maintain muscle. Everyone thinks I have to be using some gimick product or cutting an extreme amount of food.

A few years ago, I thought my body just wanted to hold on to everything. That it would be pointless to even try to lose weight, as all the women in my family were over-weight (even morbidly obese). I figured as long as my weight wasn't going up, I was good. Now I know most days I was eating at maintenance or slightly over, that's why my weight wasn't changing. All it took was cutting a few hundred calories, and BAM! the weight started falling off.
  • fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm a math and numbers geek so it amazed me that there was such an "easy" way to lose weight. I treat my calories like a bank account. If I don't have enough left, I can't "afford" to eat anything. I lost 40 lbs over the course of a few months last year doing it and, since starting back this year, the pounds are dropping off. It's simply accounting and accountability. What truly amazes me is seeing other people starving themselves trying to lose weight. They look unhappy, they deprive themselves, and they don't have nearly the success I have had and that I've seen with other people on MFP. Love this site and I love calorie counting!

Well said, I have lost almost 10 pounds from the short time Ive been here. It's all about math and doing the math right!
    I used to be the person that thought counting calories was dumb. But then I was the one gaining weight! But since rejoining MFP I understand the calories and why it's important to count them! Woo wooooooo!!!
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    No
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Yes, amazed. Everyone I saw in my life trying to lose weight made it seem impossible and so awful. I was simply amazed at how simple (not easy!) it turned out to be.

I know right? That's what always got to me. I always saw these really obese people that just gave up saying "I tried everything and nothing worked". I remember thinking "oh ****. They tried EVERYTHING? I'm screwed. May as well give up too"

They tried everything but calorie counting apparently. Fad diets don't count. There are entire industries dependent on you being fat. You can't trust any of these damn infomercials
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Not really surprised.

I think why people would be surprised is because the "experts" and media rarely talk about calorie counting. Calorie counting is not sexy. It's not cool. It's not trendy. It's not "revolutionary." All it is -- is effective. You can't make too much money telling people that they should count calories.

Discovering fitness pal was such a shocking experience for me. I genuinely felt like the entire world was hiding some very important information from me just so they could get rich. Why isn't it all over tv while the news and tv specials are talking about obesity how easy it can be to lose it? All I ever hear are "abc news...could cutting carbs be the way to go?" Or "nbc news reporting in with a shocking new discovery. Bacon melts fat. Who knew?"

If calorie counting was more widely known and consumers were more educated, we wouldn't have this obesity epidemic. I'm sure of it. We are truly the first generation that is helplessly fat with endless excuses as to why and almost no solutions