New to ground turkey...

Options
jenlayport
jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
Hey everyone! Before our lifestyle change, hubby & I were burger fanatics. I saw a recipe on here the other day for buffalo ground turkey burgers & it sounded so good.. but he's a little freaked out about eating ground up turkey! How do you like it? Any good recipes for it? Thanks!

Replies

• skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Oh I love it. , I make turkey burgers with taco seasoning than I eat them with lite sourcream and a little salsa on top...oooh so yummy.

You can also make turkey meat balls or turkey meatloaf, just like you would make a regular one.

My girlfriend makes turkey patties and bakes them in Turkey gravy( like sailsbury steak) then serves them ontop of egg noodles..thats good too!!!
  • Riliye
    Riliye Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to beef and pork, so we use ground turkey for pretty much everything. At first, the boys in the house weren't super fond of it -- they said that compared to ground beef it didn't have as much flavor, but they are both super picky about their foods and I'm inclined to say that a good portion of their protests was simple mind-over-matter issues. I haven't noticed much if any difference in the taste of meals made with turkey as opposed to beef, but it is different to cook with.

Turkey sticks to the pan much easier than beef, so that's probably something you should watch for if you're going to be doing them like burgers. That was the one thing I wished someone had told me when I first started using it...but then again I'm not the most proficient cook in the first place, haha.
  • bigshafe4u2u
    Options
    I love my red meat, so of course I had to give it up lol! I make turkey brugers on the grill, and now I prefer them to regular hamburgers...
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Ground Turkey is awesome, I just posted a recipe ealier today for Asian Turkey cabbage cups. :) You can buy two types of ground turkey, there is ground turkey with dark meat and all white ground turkey (or ground turkey breast). So if you are just easing into it you may want to start with the mixed ground turkey, less dry then the all white...

On a side note: If you compare all white ground turkey to all white g chicken, its better in my opinion. G. chicken breast can get pretty dry by itself, but it really just boils down to how its prepared.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Oh I love it. , I make turkey burgers with taco seasoning than I eat them with lite sourcream and a little salsa on top...oooh so yummy.

You can also make turkey meat balls or turkey meatloaf, just like you would make a regular one.

My girlfriend makes turkey patties and bakes them in Turkey gravy( like sailsbury steak) then serves them ontop of egg noodles..thats good too!!!

that's a great idea-taco burgers....gonna have to try it!

Not a fan of turkey meatloaf but love it in anything that's spiced up - tacos, chili, spaghetti sauce

Watch what you are buying read the label - some ground turkey actually has as much or more fat than beef. I buy the jennio 99%fat free or the 93% if that's gone.
  • VeggieTart
    Options
    Love Turkey Burgers but as someone else suggested, we prefer the "mixed" grind because it's moister.

If you guys are big on flavor go to Food.com and search Bobby Flay's Turkey Burgers with Monterey Jack Cheese, Poblano-Pickle Relish and Avocado Mayo. It's a little prep work but makes an outstanding burger! Another favorite is to crumble some tortilla chips in with the meat, form patties and grill. Top with salsa and sour cream. The tortilla's add a nice little background flavor.:smile:
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to turkey too. In some cases I will mix it with lean beef, and in some cases for tacos or chili, for example, usually just "straight" turkey is good. I was a bit freaked out at first, but once I tried it, I found it to be very good!
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    As long as you season it well, it tastes almost the same as beef.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

I am going to try turkey meatloaf tonight. Should be done in about 10 mins in fact. I had turkey bacon today for breakfast and it was better then reg bacon!
  • time2move
    time2move Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I plan on making these a lot this summer (or if I can find a decent zucchini in the store...)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/turkey-burgers-with-zucchini.html
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've used all white ground turkey for at least 5 years now. I love it - and when I eat beef it just doesn't have the right flavor to me. When I make burgers, I mix in some barbeque sauce or something like that to add extra moisture and flavor. I use it for spaghetti, chili, tacos, meatloaf - absolutely everything that would normally call for beef.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Bacon and cheese stuffed turkey burgers (about 296 calories each)!!

1 package of ground turkey
    2 tablspoons of worcesterschire ( or however you spell it) sauce
    about 2 tblspns of steak seasoning
    pinch of garlic powder
    diced onion (small amount- I'm not an onion fan)
    1/2 cup of 2% shredded mexican style cheese
    2 slices of turkey bacon

Chop bacon and cook- set aside
    Mix first 5 ingrediants with your hands (get into it)
    split the meat into 4 equalparts
    create a patty and place some bacon and cheese in it
    fold meat over so filling stays in the center
    grill each burger about 4 mintuies each side

Sometimes I top it with some mushrooms or you can even place the burger in a portabella mushroom for a real burger feel! The 296 calories only accounts for the burger itself. Enjoy! I actually tried this recipe with ground beef and it was not half a tasty!!
  • sanddollar
    sanddollar Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking with ground turkey for 20 years - my husband doesn't eat red meat. I use it just like ground beef in the same recipes. But I definitely buy the packaged meat on a tray. I DO NOT buy the stuff in a tube. Sorry, that is just gross to me.

You may have to get used to it... I would suggest you use it in spaghetti and casseroles first. If we have company I still use the turkey and no one seems to notice.

I enjoy the homemade ground turkey burgers I make but it's not same as beef. So every once in a while I get a craving for real beef and I'll get a burger or small steak when we eat out.
  • stricnine
    stricnine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome to the other poultry. I have been using ground turkey for over 15 years. There are a number of different types. If you are going to make your own patties and use the white meat, you may need to be a little heavy handed on the seasoning else you will be turned off quickly.

You may want to try it in spaghetti first as there is a seasoned blend for that from butterbal and tyson that makes it like Italian sausage.

There are some good recipes from the food network, Recipe4living and the biggest loser websites, just to name a few places.
  • jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I can't wait to make some turkey burgers on the grill this weekend =)