New Here. Any other tennis or BJJ People on the site?

Options
I'm new to this site, so I wanted to say hello. I'm currently around 206, but I'd like to get down to 170 or 165. Wondering if there are any other Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) practitioners on the site. I train, but I found that just exercise doesn't cut the weight for me like it did when I was 25. I finally have to take control of my diet. I'm also a competitive tennis player. I played D2 college tennis and did alright in some tournaments after college, but now I can barely last a set of singles before I lose my energy.

Replies

• LdyInRed
    Options
    Welcome! track your foods and keep up with jiu jitsu/tennis and you'll hit your goal! Best of luck!
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Wow - guess your post goes to show "we're not alone". I'm in almost the exact same boat - 208 and looking for 180 [not 165]. Just started BJJ in West Chester (PA) area, and played in states (high-school) for tennis, but never "went for it" in college.

Good luck - this site is fantastic with support and ideas, utilize it, and you'll be there in no time.
  • Yzfdude1
    Yzfdude1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training and competing in BJJ, Gracie Barra out of New Mexico. I've been training for about 2 years now. I've lost over 65 lbs from when I started. Unfortunately my body is really smart and compensates, so now I have to count calories.

I usually train 5 days a week at bjj 60 to 90 minutes each, 4 days of cardio with sauna suit and sweatshirt (to simulate my gi) at 60 to 120 minutes each. Strength training twice a week for 60 minutes each.

I don't really concentrate on my weight since I'm in the ultra heavy category.
  • coberleyc
    Options
    I think tenns is a great sport for exercise especially singles with fewer tennis balls so you have to run after them more haha. I joined this year in college and have always wanted to learn & love it! Especially if someone struggles with exercising, take it for a course so its a grade!
  • kmrodger
    Options
    i train bjj. i competed as a white belt in january at 165 but i still had a lot to lose and that was with cutting weight. i'm going to compete in the oregon open in october and i wanted to be able to make the 145-ish to 155-ish bracket. i'm now 149 lbs and still losing and my jiu jitsu is better than ever (and it's certainly helped me lose a lot of weight.)