Cheat day??

Options
Hi, I have heard on several websites and articles that it is okay to have one day a week or month that you treat yourself to the foods that you are craving, but it is best if you only do it after you set some attainable goal.

What are thoughts on this and has anyone has any success with curbing the cravings this way?

Replies

• jn13
    jn13 Posts: 9
    Options
    This has always been dangerous ground for me. If I haven't had a "cheat-treat" in weeks, I have mentally crossed that item off my mind. If I "cheat" I fear the taste will entice me to eat too many servings and feel hungry.
  • Lydbell
    Lydbell Posts: 28
    Options
    I totally believe in a cheat treat. I think how often and what is up to the individual. I think for me more than 1 thing every two weeks is a slippery slope so I limit it to that. One thing every two weeks. One meal not a whole day or I would go overboard.
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat per se, but I do work some treats into my daily plan. So some days I'll skimp on (not skip entirely, though) breakfast and lunch to have a great dinner!
  • MissLadyInWaiting
    Options
    cheat days are good as long as your not "pigging out" just because you can. its a day where you can say yes to that piece of chocolate or packet of chips. cheat days are perfect because then you not depriving yourself from the foods you love and it will actually help you stick to your diet in the long run. you've gotta remember that your need this as a lifestyle, and enjoying a few treats every now and then :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I didn't do a cheat day until I hit my first big goal of 30 lbs lost. After that I actually five days of cheat meals (not whole days, I had a healthy breakfast, lunch and snack, just a cheat dinner) since I went on vacation to San Diego with friends at that time.

After that I allowed about one cheat meal a month. Again, it's only one meal. Usually a dinner, and typically for a special occasion. But sometimes it's been breakfast or lunch, depending on the plans.

I did recently have a period of time around the holidays where I allowed myself to eat mostly whatever I wanted. Though, even then, 3/4 of the days I stayed in what would be my maintenance calories and the days that I went over were parties, family dinners, a Disneyland vacation and a the company holiday party.

But since Jan 4th I've been back on my regular eating and workout schedule so I plan on going back to allowing one cheat meal per month. I actually just had my one cheat meal of the month for my wedding anniversary just last Friday and already know which nights those meals will be happening in Feb and Mar.

I personally like having that meal to look forward to and I plan the week leading up to it with it in mind, so I stay on top of my caloric and workout goals. I've never had a problem with it throwing me off or making me continue to want more, but everyone is different, so it's always about doing what works best for you.

Wow, that got really rambling - I apologize. lol
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I live for cheat days! I just started my program again......so no cheat days until two weeks in. My husband and I are both in a fitness challenge, weigh in isn't until April 1.

We did this a couple of years ago, stuck to a fairly strict diet with no sweets, no white anything, high protein and no wine or beer :(.

We did allow ourselves a cheat night once a week. Cheat could be something sweet, junk, beer, wine, etc. Usually it was wings and beer. Found it made dieting easier, if you knew you were allowed to have that one thing you were craving on cheat night.

Also found the further we got into it, the less we ate "junk" on cheat night!!

I think alot of people struggle when they are absolutely not allowed to have "something", you always want what you are not allowed to have. This way you really don't think about it too much. You also don't have to berate yourself when you do slip up.
  • wldlndfirefghtr
    wldlndfirefghtr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think folks should have a cheat day, it keeps your motivation and moral up. I went on vacation for 2 weeks in December, the 1st week I had 847 Net Calories Over Weekly Goal (*Average Daily Net), and the 2nd week was 923 Net Calories Over Weekly Goal. I was running in the morning, snorkeling, paddle boarding, and walking around, basically staying active. I thought, oh boy I'm screwed, but just enjoyed my vacation. When I got back I had gained about a pound. After getting back on schedule, the following week when I did my weigh in, I was surprised to have lost 4 pounds.

I'm still a firm believer that you must stick with your lifestyle change, and that your not going to gain all that weight you lost overnight.

Just my 2 cents.

9/7/10 - Starting weight 225.0
    1/24/11 - Current weight 184.4
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    Hi, I have heard on several websites and articles that it is okay to have one day a week or month that you treat yourself to the foods that you are craving, but it is best if you only do it after you set some attainable goal.

What are thoughts on this and has anyone has any success with curbing the cravings this way?

Cheat day is good. Best to have it on like a Saturday. So you can get back on track sunday and keep it going for the week. It helps you stay focused during the week kinda like a reward. Just be mindful of portion sizes and the like. That would also be the day you have alcohol if you par-take in such a thing lol.
  • danster02
    Options
    I take one day off a week. Every Saturday I eat whatever I have been craving all week. This helps me to keep my will power up all week because I know I can treat myself on Saturday. I try not to go crazy and eat everything all in one day, it can make you sick. Mainly what I do is just not count calories for that day.
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in having at least one cheat day per week.
    Just make sure you only keep it just that one day per week or month or every two weeks.
    I do feel that you do need to reward yourself every once in awhile.
    Also once you reach your goal, you will not start eating everything in site.
    That is once of the problems when a person stays on a very strict diet, once the goal is reached, you start to try and catch up to what you missed while on the diet.
    The main reason I stated this, is that's what happened to me. I was on a strict diet and once I reached my goal.
    Well you know the rest of the story....that is why I am here now.
    So if possible, try and have a cheat day if you can "can be as a reward to yourself", because once you reach your goal you don't want to be back in the same boat again.....
    Hope this helps......
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    For me cheating means French Toast w/syrup....So instead I'll have french toast 2 pieces of oatnut bread made w/one egg and w/low sugar strawberry jam and 1.5 or 2 pats of butter instead. That way I try to incorporate as much as I can into my daily calories. I did sneak a Hershey kiss the other night! We had a B-Day party and I ate light that day so I could have a slice of ice cream cake. Yummy! I'm not sure I should stray too far off the path....I just keep eating healthy foods I like and keep the sugar monster away for the most part.
  • esherwood2
    Options
    I definitely go with a treat day which is usually friday for me. However, even on my treat day, I try to work it into my calories and I still try to get my exercise in. I found that when I don't allow myself to have those treats, I will fall off the wagon quicker.
  • Azzrielish
    Azzrielish Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I dont have a cheat day, but I do sometimes fit something into my day that I probably shouldnt eat as long as I can do it within my calories.

There are some things I love that I just dont go near - I find that if I havent eaten something in a while I dont crave it but if I have a little bit of chocolate then next thing you know I'm craving chocolate.

My cheats tend to be stuff like TJs sorbet, fluffy white french bread and the odd mint candy from Australia (but amazingly I can stick to one or two of these at 20 calories each).
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    A cheat meal or treat every now and again is fine. I don't think a whole day is necessary and normally I build them into my daily goal. My cheat meal is lunch after church. Over time you naturally stop craving some things so it's good to schedule something only if it's been on your mind alot and you can't find a healthier version. I used to always schedule a bowl of light chocolate ice cream at the end of the week but now I don't even think about it. Having cheats too often can prevent you from being able to wean them out of your mind.