Gluten Free, Low Sugar, Low Fat Fudgy Brownies

Options
carcarxx94
carcarxx94 Posts: 38 Member
This is a recipe I make nearly every week, seeing as I love chocolate, brownies and cake.. but cannot eat flour and am hypoglycemic so try to watch my sugar intake.! Very simple to do and taste just like real sugar ladden fudge brownies!! (I have tried recipes using black beans or chickpeas but found they just didn't have the texture or taste of real brownies :( )
I have also made variations of this brownie using different flavoured extracts such as orange, coffee and mint, and added in dried fruit and nuts. Also, you may sub some of the cocoa powder with protein powder or powdered milk for extra protein :)
This is the only cake like recipe I have tried that has been succesful every time.. would love to hear if anyone have any other gluten free / low sugar dessert recipes ??! :D

Ingredients
1 Large Banana (approx. 135g - 160g)
Vanilla Extract
2 Tsp Agave (approx. 10g) (or other liquid sweetener e.g honey or maple syrup)
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder and Baking Soda
20g - 30g Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
30g Oat Flour or Instant Oats
5g - 10g Dark Chocolate Chopped (75% cocoa upwards)

Preheat oven to 180C.
In a bowl, mash banana well until almost liquid - like.
Stir in Vanilla extract, Agave and Baking Soda and Powder
Fold in Cocoa Powder until well combined.
Fold in Oats and dark chocolate chips.
Bake for approx. 20 - 30 min, until dark brown on top and a skewer comes out mostly clean (over baking makes them more cake like and less fudgy!)

Today I made these using 135g Banana, 25g Cocoa Powder and 8g of 75% Dark Chocolate and these were the nutrition facts.

For whole batch:

389 Kcal
Fat 11g
Sat Fat 5g
Carb 63g
Fiber 13g
Sugar 19g
Protein 11g

This made 10 Bars / Squares for me so for one bar / square:

39 Kcal
Fat 1.1g
Sat Fat 0.5g
Carb 6.3g
Fiber 1.3g
Sugar 1.9g
Protein 1.1g

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I am definitely making this! Thanks.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bumping to try! thanks!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    omg! this sounds amazing!
  • stephb130181
    stephb130181 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds lovely! Will defo have to give this a whirl. xx
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I know you said you've tried black bean brownies, but that is what I made about an hour ago(and they are so good!!) using this recipe from chocolatecoveredkatie.com:

1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
    2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
    1/2 cup quick oats (40g)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave (or honey, but not for strict vegans.) (75g)
    pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup)
    1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil (40g)
    2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (115-140g) (Not optional. Omit at your own risk.)
    optional: more chips, for presentation

Black Bean Brownies Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor.) Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8x8 pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook the black bean brownies 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. Makes 9-12 brownies.

**I find these brownies to be very rich and moist and fudgy. So if your preference is a more cake like brownie, it may not be for you. But I'd at least try it. You can always give them away and help people get some fiber in their lives :)
  • amehh91
    amehh91 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Yum! Totally trying this next week!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    These sound amazing!
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm not even a sweets person but this sounds good to try for when the craving hits! I do like the consistency of a fudgy brownie
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I made these today. A couple of things to note:

Your recipe didn't indicate a pan size, so I used an 8"x8" which is the smallest size I have, and it ended up really flat, like a pancake. I'd double the recipe for a pan this size, or use some muffin tins.

Also, I tasted the batter before I baked it, and added in another 1/4 of splenda to get it to be sweet enough for my taste. And I didn't have any dark chocolate, so I added a tbs of chocolate chips, which improved the taste dramatically.

Thanks for this recipe, I'll be making it for breakfast in the future!
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This looks AMAZING! thanks for sharing with us!
    :) J
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    I am so excited to try this. Thank you so much for sharing
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I never read these because I hate cooking but seriously..So low cal. Maybe I'll try...
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Bump
  • regulusarcturus
    regulusarcturus Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump - thank you!
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Bump, sounds tasty!
  • rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carcarxx94
    carcarxx94 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @ponycyndi So sorry! I forgot to indicate the pan size!! I usually spread it so it covers half of an 8''x8'', so to fill a 8''x8'' i'd double the recipe, though for me this would just make too much as I make them only for myself! Sorry about that! :( I have also made them as single serve mini brownies using a muffin tray :) glad you liked it though!!
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=244033
    Try these Black Bean Brownies. They are very good and loaded with protein and complex carbs, ( high fiber). You wont even know they are made with beans.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=244033
    Try these Black Bean Brownies. They are very good and loaded with protein and complex carbs, ( high fiber). You wont even know they are made with beans.
    I've made these. They are tasty