Rules / Experiment to "Cheat Days" or "Earned Days" ?

Options
Okay so I am at a good 3 week mark right now of eating very well and exercising every single day. (burning at least 500 calories a day) This weekend I'm going to be hanging out and just started thinking that it could possibly be cool for a cheat day.

Now I've seen numerous posts on the idea of a "cheat day" and I know you're probably thinking, "Jeez, another one?!" But hear me out on this.

What if instead of calling it a "cheat day", we all start looking at it as "earned treats" ? In other words, the idea of a cheat day goes out the window. You don't get to cheat, period. Instead, if you want to eat bad foods (i.e. Pizza, cake, chocolates, brownies...) then you have to EARN IT. Workout longer if you are planning a cheat day. Burn an extra 500 - 1000 calories the day before or even the day you want to eat bad. Maybe 200 - 300 'Thursday' and another 200 - 300 on 'Friday' so that way when you go out with the boys / ladies, you can get that martini you wanted or that stout you've been craving.

Personally I think it's pretty damn smart, but there could possibly be a downside. Would it be unhealthy to deprive your body of those extra calories the days before just so you can eat bad a day or two later? Maybe it's better to just burn the extra calories you want to use on the day you want to indulge? Or maybe that isn't healthy either?

This is definitely open for discussion and I hope the topic gets tons of attention. Let your thoughts be heard!

Replies

• Boredboytn
    Options
    That is kinda my plan. I have told everyone that when I lose 20 lbs of my total amount I want to lose, I am going to treat myself to a Japanese meal because that is what I crave the most (Rice, shrimp sauce and chicken) but, the day I decide to go eat this meal, I'm going to the gym before I go out to eat. I am going to burn 1,000 calories. Then I am only going to eat half the meal and take the other half home.

About 2 to 3 hours later, I'm going back to the gym to burn at least 500 calories, if not more.. then later on that night I may eat the other half or I may save it for the next day (when I will go to the gym again)..

Personally, I am not sure about the idea of cutting calories before going out to eat, I think the smarter thing to do would be to work out longer, burn more calories both before AND after a big meal.

I will be tested tomorrow. I am going out to eat a two good friends to celebrate a birthday. We are going to Hooters (first time for me). I have already looked over their website and decided on what I am getting. (Grilled chicken salad with fat free ranch dressing on the side). Had I not looked on the website and planned it out, it is possible I would have failed big time.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Technically you can't save calories over long periods of time and then get to "spend" them later. But at the same time, my dietitian mentioned that whatever gets you to consistently eat well is a good thing. So I give myself the holidays off. My mom would save up calories and have a big ice cream sunday at the end of the week. To me, what's most important is that these are temporary or quick fixes, but lifestyle changes you can truly maintain. Thus I think having earned days is a wonderful idea. If it's what gets you out there, eating well and exercising than I think it's a good idea. :)
  • td_ssam
    td_ssam Posts: 32
    Options
    Awesome man, that sounds good @Boredboytn. At least you have a plan laid out before hand.
  • td_ssam
    Options
    @Valmaebel

Yeah unfortunately it's not like you get a token for 'X' amount of calories you burn and then get to go to spend them on whatever. I definitely agree that it should be an 'every now and then' type deal. The lifestyle we lead needs to be a healthy one overall. I suppose I was thinking of a calories in vs calories out situation here.
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had a real burn up day last Saturday - over 1200 calories through Zumba, swimming and dog walking. I even wore ankle weights to do the weekly shop (didn't count those cals though). Considering three weeks ago I didn't do any exercise, that was good going for me!

So, for my tea I had half an Asda Pizza at something like 570 calories and two slices of garlic bread (180 cals?) and a couple of G&Ts. And I was still nowhere near my calorie goal (daily goal + earned calories)

The way I see it is if you (occasionally) want a treat, have it - but earn it first. I find I appreciate it more.

On the other hand, last Sunday I had a rest day but ate over my Calorie goal (Roast dinner! Duck at that!!) - that isn't going to happen again!
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Superbowl Sunday will be my treat day or cheat day.. whatever you wanna call it. Going to my cousins (He is a Steelers fan) ordering a pizza, maybe a couple drinks, crackers and other snacks.

I will just do a double on Monday.
  • td_ssam
    Options
    @JennyJH

I like the way you think!
  • td_ssam
    Options
    Smart @Spitfirex007

Yeah I will be having another semi bad day when the SB comes around.