Has this ever happened to you?

Options
So, I'm standing there in the group fitness room at the gym, waiting for Zumba to start, and this gal walks up to me and says loudly ...

"So ... How much weight have you lost?"

Mind you, I've never met this lady before and there are several other people standing around, so I say sheepishly:

"eh ... a ridiculous amount"

*awkward silence*

"I've lost 166 pounds since January of last year ..."

And then everybody in my peripheral vision just sorta turned their heads slightly in my direction as if to silently say ... "holy crap!"

Something like this happens to me every couple weeks or so it seems. In the beginning I was very proud to tell anybody I came across "I've lost 20 pounds!" ... "I've lost 40 pounds!" etc. But at some point, it got to where I'm actually kind of uncomfortable disclosing that amount. Not to you guys of course ... :wink: But it's like pressing the mental rewind button to where I was a year ago and suddenly instead of being proud of my accomplishments, I feel ashamed of how far I had let myself go in the first place.

It just goes with the territory I guess ...

Replies

• Seahawks777
    Seahawks777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its not how you started the game it hows ya finish it......
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Frist of all CONGRATS

and second...it is none of her business! my mother always told me you never discuss a persons religion and political affiliation, income and money and weight and health unless they are a close friend or give u permission to!

you should not be ashamed but I do understand what you are saying. I can't believe someone would have the gall to ask a stranger that!
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    you are amazing
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Its not how you started the game it hows ya finish it......

I'll second that! you have done amazing, you are quite the inspiration :wink:
  • cakeyrach
    Options
    That's a phenomenal achievement and you should never be ashamed. Be proud always of what you've done, I think you're an inspiration.
  • posherspice
    posherspice Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't be ashamed, be proud - you've done so fantastically well!

But I know what you mean - people ask that question with all sorts of motives and you can get some funny reactions - sometimes people feel you're passing judgement on them, or that it's open season to pass all sorts of personal comments. So it's fine to say 'I prefer not to discuss it' or 'that's between me and my family / doctor / whatever' or 'thanks for taking an interest, but that's personal'.

Anyway - you have my deep respect!
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, the fat *kitten* won't die, he's brought up and spoken of every day, RIP Fat Man!
  • JosephTucker
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel....but it is something you can be very, very proud of and tell them with your head held high
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be embarrassed about! You are showing people that it is possible to lose the weight they need to. They just have to kick it up a notch and exercise and eat right! Be proud!
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    justyourtypicalgirl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Maybe counter by asking them how much they weigh? I know that would shut my mouth up for me.

And let me second everyone else....you have nothing to be embarrassed about...unless you want to be embarrassed for people who do weird things like run up to a stranger and ask about their weight loss.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    I have a neighbor who has also lost a "ridiculous amount" of weight. I heard her once tell someone (who asked) that she's lost "almost half of her initial body weight."

I like that approach - it doesn't reveal a specific number but certainly gets across the point that a LOT of weight has been lost.

I think people mean well when they ask. I assume the person at the gym just wanted to acknowledge your amazing progress but yes, people don't always think about how it might make you feel to be put on the spot like that.

Like others have said, WAY TO GO! You are amazing.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I feel you.

On the one hand, I AM really proud. On the other hand, my boss totally e-mailed everyone he's ever met with his "this year's goals" e-mail and included me as "inspiration" and shared with everyone in the e-mail how much I'd lost.

So now, all these people I never met know me more or less as "the girl who used to be fat." At least, that's how I think of it in my mind. I don't mind telling people, and I want to inspire, its just the "you're a total stranger" aspect.

Congrats on your super loss, btw, that's awesome!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation now where it is embarrasing to say how much I've lost......it was suggested to me to say something like "i've lost like 8 dress sizes" or something like that instead of a # that way you can keep the actual # of lbs to yourself but still get the point across that it has been a lot of lbs.

If I'm feeling humorous I might say oh you know i"ve lost a teenager......or I've lost a couple elementary kids etc.

CONGRATULATIONS BY THE WAY ON YOUR LOSS!!! THAT IS AWESOME!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's amazing what you've been able to accomplish. I can understand what you mean about "embarrassed" though. I'd bet that when you started this, you would have killed to shout that you've lost that much weight from rooftops or wear it on a t-shirt!