Atkins Inductions Right before Half Marathon

Options
Hi guys,
I've been training for a half marathon for 11 weeks now and next week will me my second half marathon race. I started Atkins induction this week and my carbs per day is low. I'm nervous that I wont survive my 10 mile run (tomorrow) and my 13.1 mile run next week. Is there a method to fueling my body up leading up to race without knocking my body out of ketosis?

Any advice helps.
Thanks!
-S

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid this is not a good time for you to make this transition. As someone who got serious about my low carb diet for about the last 9 months, I can assure you it takes a week or two to make that transition. I don't think there's anything you need to do different, as you're already switching to fat burning. You may have to reduce your pace to get through your 10 miler, but you will probably be OK afterwards. If you've fully made the transition before your half next week, you will probably be fine with your current diet. After switching to ketosis, fueling during a run is actually more about hunger than the calories you're burning. Your body has about 1600 calories of glycogen available, and about 100,000 calories of fat available. It will take months to completely train your body to burn those fat calories efficiently. Here is a link for someone who has done some testing on ketosis and endurance sports. I hope this helps. BTW, I have lost almost 60 pounds since January, and cut 40 minutes from my half marathon time (2:25 to 1:45). Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done.

http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I would go back to a balanced diet for now. Being 1-2 weeks into a ketogenic diet and trying to optimize athletic performance are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. While there are steps you can take to mitigate the negative impact a ketogenic diet has on athletic performance, these are steps that you would take after your body has adapted to the ketogenic diet (think months, not weeks). My advice is to drop Atkins for now, revisit it in the future if you think it will be helpful, and best of luck with the marathon.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I've been training for a half marathon for 11 weeks now and next week will me my second half marathon race. I started Atkins induction this week and my carbs per day is low. I'm nervous that I wont survive my 10 mile run (tomorrow) and my 13.1 mile run next week. Is there a method to fueling my body up leading up to race without knocking my body out of ketosis?

Any advice helps.
    Thanks!
    -S

Yes there is, don't drastically change your diet in the middle of HM training.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    While it CAN be done, I agree that now is not really the time to do it.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Type of diet aside, one of the golden rules is to avoid messing with your nutrition right before a race. I strongly suggest waiting until after your run to make any changes.

Edited for typo
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the other replies, but 11 weeks into half marathon training is a terrible time to make a major diet change. Why can't you wait until after your half marathon ? Is there some compelling reason to start this week?
    And I'm not judging... I say this from experience. Last year I had a half marathon coincide with a weight loss challenge I was doing. I really wanted to win the challenge (It was a lot of money) so I went super low carb and low calorie overall. I lost the challenge by 0.2 lbs, but more importantly, I absolutely tanked during my run. In reality, I knew it was a bad idea, but I thought "I'll be ok." I wasn't. It was my worst race ever and I almost quit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why people who run marathons carb up before the race. Bad idea from my viewpoint.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When facing these kinds of decisions, I try to remind myself that I can do it all, I just can't do it all at the same time.

If you want to try low carb, I would recommend waiting until after you complete your HM. You've put 11 weeks into training so far.

I'm assuming that you want to do Akins for weight loss. Eating balanced meals for a couple of weeks longer isn't going to make much difference in your weight. However, it make make a big difference on race day.
  • ironsun
    ironsun Posts: 30
    Options
    Didn't read the other replies, but 11 weeks into half marathon training is a terrible time to make a major diet change. Why can't you wait until after your half marathon ? Is there some compelling reason to start this week?

This.
    Eat some carbs. You will need the fuel for your race. Or don't do the half marathon.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    wheni used to run i did carb loading....Pasta dinner!!!! It'll burn off! :bigsmile:
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    As others have said.. I think it would be best to postpone Atkins until after your half. This is something you've been training for for at least 12 weeks, so I think the new diet can wait a week and a half.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend making such a drastic dietary change in this critical time before a race. If I were you, I would postpone my low carb diet until after the half-marathon. ~Scott