Halloween Candy

Options
I love my husband, but every time we go to the store, he sees the Halloween candy and migrates toward it. "One bag of candy corn, pleasepleasepleeeeeaasse?" But this happens once a week or so, and it is still a few weeks until Halloween. He is a grown man and makes his decisions and I make my own, but I was wondering- does anyone have a favorite Halloween themed snack that is healthy? I saw a Pinterest post with banana "ghosts" and clementine "pumpkins" which was cute, but it made me wonder about other ideas. I want to make something fun to have that I can turn to for snacking and maybe tempt my husband a little too...

Replies

• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I like candy corn. No vegetables or fruit compare to candy corn. As far as healthy Halloween treats go, the only thing I make that's not super sugary or fattening is popcorn balls.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gummy bears. They have a certain... feedback loop... which makes it easy to practice moderation with them.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I dunno but this will be me this year:

halloween-candy-pile.jpg
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    The only Halloween Bouquet you will ever need. :love:

P15951021.jpg
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    No advice, really, sigh.

I'm already preparing myself with a nightly mantra before bed time..."it is NOT ok to steal candy from the kids treat bags when there are school. It is NOT ok.., not ok..."
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    m-m-white-chocolate-candy-corn.jpg

These are pretty good.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    m-m-white-chocolate-candy-corn.jpg

These are pretty good.

OT: Lol @ Red's face wearing a candy corn costume.
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gummy bears. They have a certain... feedback loop... which makes it easy to practice moderation with them.

Have you seen the reviews for them on Amazon? (I'm pretty sure that's what it was) It was about the feedback loop you mentioned. After reading the comments I decided to avoid them altogether. You are right, knowing what it can do will make you practice moderation.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Why is your husband begging for the candy?

tumblr_nafciu89Sl1qm9xogo1_500.jpg
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Why is your husband begging for the candy?

+1 Poor guy!!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible weakness for the little chocolate bars, especially Butterfingers. They are not allowed in the house except Halloween night. My indulgence is real molasses kisses. Kerr's makes them, and sometimes Crosby's. These are made with lots of molasses and not those plastic ones you see at Walmart, etc.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Nope no suggestions, I love my candy corn and won't give that up for anything. Plus I don't need to have a lot to get my fix and it is only out one time a year so yeah I'm all for candy corn...in moderation and if it fits of course....well dang now I have to go buy myself a bag lol
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Hahaha well I try to avoid getting tempting things with my diet but don't really stop him from getting what he wants. The begging was inferred from his "puppy dog eyes putting the bag in the cart knowing that my wife is calorie counting" look.

Oh well. Moderation is being put to the test hehe. *Logs the candy corn she just had*
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    The only Halloween Bouquet you will ever need. :love:

P15951021.jpg

And yes.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I went onto my Pinterest Halloween board and lo and behold found this (which I have no idea why I would have pinned it because it doesn't look good to me at all!)

8ef949616a3684f53597cbcce389864a.jpg

I also found this, which does look really good to me... and won't likely meet your definition of healthy Halloween treats but there might be others on here that would be interested!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/09/halloween-bark/

bark.jpg
  • stevenbrent
    Options
    I've been making granola lately. Currently working on a pumpkin / apple spice variant which is autumnal if not exactly Halloween-y. It's great to be able to control the amount and type of sugar, and you can strike a pretty good balance between tastiness and healthiness if you play around with the recipe. I'll be happy to share some of my tips.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Not "healthy" but I love Cadbury screme eggs, 150 cal of super sugary rich creamy deliciousness and sold individually so I don't have a big bag of mini Snickers (or whatever else) taunting me for weeks.

Luckily I am not into candy corn.

We don't buy Halloween candy aside from the above. We live on the edge of a high end neighborhood where most people go all out, but in our block it's a lot of seniors and singles and everyone leaves their lights out. I love it, haha.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    it ain't candy but pumpkin curry soup is delish and not fattening. I got the recipe I use off of pumpkinnook.com. They have everything pumpkin related (including not so healthy baked goods lol).
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    I've been making granola lately. Currently working on a pumpkin / apple spice variant which is autumnal if not exactly Halloween-y. It's great to be able to control the amount and type of sugar, and you can strike a pretty good balance between tastiness and healthiness if you play around with the recipe. I'll be happy to share some of my tips.

I would love that! I like granola a lot and have always wanted to try making some at home. Thanks!