Popcorn

Options
GA72189
GA72189 Posts: 16 Member
I love popcorn! I could eat it all day, every day. Unfortunately, I don't have an air popper. Is there a way to pop kernels on the stove without oil or butter? My daughter and I are going to watch a movie and want some popcorn.

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I just put it in a paper bag , roll tightly, and throw in the microwave.... Works perfectly..
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I put a 1/3 cup in a paper bag (like a lunch bag) and pop it in the microwave for about a minute and 20 seconds. Then, I can add seasoning, hot sauce, butter, or whatever. It is so good and so inexpensive!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    For the amount you would pay for paper bags, you could buy an airpopper. They are like, $20, on amazing.
  • GA72189
    Options
    I don't have any paper bags either. :(
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

No bags, no problem... Read on

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/09/microwave-popcorn-no-bag-required.html
  • millions47
    millions47 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN USE A BROWN PAPER BAG AND FOLD THEM VERY TIGHTLY. IT WILL POP. I USE BUTTER SPRAY FOR MY BUTTER. ENJOY!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump for sites
  • GA72189
    Options
    Thank you Gsdlovers I will certainly give this a try!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I use the paper bag trick too. I buy the bags at Dollar Store, very cheap. Plus I don't have one more appliance on my counter.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Glass bowl with glass plate on top in microwave. 2 TB - 1/3 cup, no oil. microwave about 2-1/2 min.
  • smh1963
    smh1963 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use an oven bag, in the microwave
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Gsdlovers wrote: »

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/09/microwave-popcorn-no-bag-required.html

now that's interesting- totally willing to try this- for the sake of calories and money- skipping the oil/bacon grease step on the stove would be great- plus one less dish to wash considering now I have the stove top- and then the popcorn bowl itself. So- in theory- only one- well plus the bottom of the plate- but meh- not a crisis.

Anyone had good luck with this? I'm totally going to try it tonight if I can figure out a way to make it work- i only have two glass bowls- and I have square plates- so I'm not sure it's going to work- plus i eat way more popcorn than I can comfortably fit in that bowl!!! LMAO
  • itsnevrenough
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Gsdlovers wrote: »

now that's interesting- totally willing to try this- for the sake of calories and money- skipping the oil/bacon grease step on the stove would be great- plus one less dish to wash considering now I have the stove top- and then the popcorn bowl itself. So- in theory- only one- well plus the bottom of the plate- but meh- not a crisis.

Anyone had good luck with this? I'm totally going to try it tonight if I can figure out a way to make it work- i only have two glass bowls- and I have square plates- so I'm not sure it's going to work- plus i eat way more popcorn than I can comfortably fit in that bowl!!! LMAO

Yes! I saw this the other day and tried it last night. It works! Super easy!!
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    What I like about the paper bag is that you don't need gloves or asbestos hands to take it out. No waiting. No waiting is the goal when it comes to popcorn. I don't even like the 3 minutes.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    kikityme wrote: »
    What I like about the paper bag is that you don't need gloves or asbestos hands to take it out. No waiting. No waiting is the goal when it comes to popcorn. I don't even like the 3 minutes.

Right? And after you get the popcorn out of the microwave it takes an ENTIRE MINUTE to melt the butter to drizzle over the top, meanwhile your hot fluffy goodness is cooling down...so annoying. :awesome:

I'm a giant popcorn fan and usually make mine on the stovetop with oil and butter, but I have been known to use the brown bag method on days when the calories have gotten a bit out of hand. Still extremely tasty and WAY better than the storebought microwave stuff.
  • LoadedM6Tina
    LoadedM6Tina Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'd just buy a popcorn popper. I got sick of the too salty-too buttery microwave popcorn so I got one. I'm weird though...I LOVE plain popcorn.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I use the paper bag trick too. I buy the bags at Dollar Store, very cheap. Plus I don't have one more appliance on my counter.

I get 250 lunch bags at Dollar Tree for 99 cents and can reuse the bags numerous times. I don't add oils when I pop the 1/4 cup either before or after so the bags don't get oily.

I've done it with the olive oil but didn't care for it, I love the plain from the microwave much better.

brown paper lunch bag folded over after adding 1/4 c. plain unpopped popcorn
    place in microwave, hit the popcorn button, stick close to the microwave and POP POP..all done within a couple minutes. :D

Yum, Yum

• danieljamesrice
    danieljamesrice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I buy the large bags of skinny pop from Costco. It is 150 calories for around 4 cups. I just throw it in a bowl and microwave for 20 seconds to warm it. I then use "I can't believe it's not butter" butter spray and it is delicious.