Are you on a diet or change of lifestyle?

Options
I see a lot of people on here and they are on this diet or doing this to lose weight. I wonder though. Are you willing to do this for the rest of your life? When you are done with the diet or you hit your weight, will you go back to what you did before? You say no now but.....

I was one of you, I did atkins and lost 100 pounds and gained back 180 after ending the diet. Bread is good. When I started this time I decided to think about things I can and would like to eat every day for the rest of my life. Sure I will be able to endulge once in a while but it is just that an endulgance. I started running, swimming and biking. I love all of these things and these are going to be the things I do to maintain my soon to be sexy self for the future. I have changed the way I think about food and the way I eat.

I have to ask the question, Are you here to change your life or get the pounds off (for now)?

Replies

• oarngesi
    oarngesi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like to think im doing both, losing weight while improving habits.
  • hoovified
    hoovified Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am going to be doing this for life. Days I do poorly, sure they're going to happen. But this is a definitely a lifestyle change for me. I'm only 24 and have been obese as long as I can remember (I can not remember being under 230). I have way too many health problems relating to my weight. If I keep going like this, I probably won't reach 50. So, I need to make this change, for life. I'm not going to eat all carrot sticks and never eat any bread. I am going to do better at eating things in moderation though, and I am going to have an occasional treat.

I know what you mean. I see a lot of talks about diet. Although when I say "diet," I mean my literal diet. What I eat. I don't mean I'm doing temporary changes to lose weight quickly... I think the two different meanings can get confusing.

My best friend goes on a diet. She'll give up muffins and donuts for a week or two and lose 5 pounds or so, and then she'll bounce right back up as soon as she starts eating them again. That's not the kind of result I'm after, but then again, I have a lot more weight to lose.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Changed lifestyle.
    For me, logging everyday is the only way.
    I have learned a lot in the 31 months on MFP. Lost the equivalent of a good sized person 160+ pounds gone.
    I have extended my life at the very least by becoming healthier.
    My new way of life.
    Moving more and trying to refrain from over eating.
    A lesson that took me a long time to learn.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I think right now with where I am, I am trying to make healthier choices that I can live with the rest of my life.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    to be honest I am here to get the pounds off (for now) and likely intend to going back to how I "used" to do things for the most part. I like my life, I don't see any real need to change it but for health reasons and my own laziness (carrying more weight around is so much more work in so many ways).

My weight gain was not anything rocket fast. If you average it out it was not even10 lbs a year. My "mistake" was letting years and years and years go by and not taking intermediate steps to keep things in check. It's kind of easier to lose 5-10 lbs than it is 100. Whoops.

The only thing I intend to change is to set a range that when I get to the top end of I need to watch things a little more closely until it goes back down. I have been essentially doing the same thing this year except my range has to go down even farther before I go through a lax period. (so like lose 10, gain 5, lose 10, gain 5 will eventually get my weight down over time. Eventually it can just be lose 5 gain 5).

And that's probably a crappy way to go about it, but I really don't care. It's better than being 250 lbs, I'm at least pretty sure of that.
  • rlwilson1967
    rlwilson1967 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a long way to go and I just got started, but this is a lifestyle change for me. I quit smoking and gained even more weight. Now I want to lose that and much more. Not on any "diet", but just making better food choices, doing some walking, getting more active and just watching what and how much I eat. If I want that donut... I eat that donut. But I count that donut and try to work it into my daily allotted calories.

So for me.. this has to be a lifestyle change, not just a "diet".
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change. If there was a single diet that actually worked and kept you at your desired weight, everyone would be on it. For me it's a lifestyle change. I've changed how I eat. I think more about what I eat. And I go to a gym 6 days a week. And that's how it's going to be forever.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle for me, will always be diabetic so will always have to be low carb.

so actually reaching my weight goal just be a bonus to help it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    For me its both. I will welcome my deficit calories back, keep an eye on the scales, eat a healthier diet as I am doing and hopefully continue with the exercise. When I get to target next year id also like to continue with strength training.

I dont wnat to eb dramatic with grand change of lifestyle statements, but have learned a lot about nutrution and fitness already.
    I have said I dont wnat to do this all over again as its so boring, in wich case it will be yp to me to make sure i continue ood habits and dont switch off or back into the habits that caysed the problem in the first place.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Both.

The more I lose, the harder it gets. Things keep changing and not just my size! I take it as it comes. :)

I think I'll continue dieting until I decide it is too hard to keep losing and then just stay wherever that is. I hope to get to 125 pounds, but if I don't, that's cool.

When I've reached the point where I don't want to sacrifice to be smaller, I'll know I need to stick with where I am at that time. :)

That's the plan. :)

There is no way in hell I'm counting calories - weighing and measuring every bite - for the rest of my life! So, some lifestyle changes are required. :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't diet. It's a lifestyle.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am trying to make changes I can maintain long term. I have a long way to go before I think about maintaining. One thing I know I will do differently is watch the scale and if it starts moving up do something.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I invite anyone who wishes to view my profile and determine my answer to your question on their own.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Both.

Diet - I'm restricting calories to lose weight. Don't plan on losing weight when I reach goal.

Lifestyle change - I'm going to keep tracking what I'm eating so I don't gain it all back.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I didn't really do much other than become more active so I would guess it's a lifestyle change for me. I don't restrict food or log what I eat. I just keep mental notes in my head on how much I have had for the day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    This is my diet.
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am changing the way I think about food and logging everyday on MFP plus the support from my MFP friends keeps me inspired and on track to being a healthier me. I too have done the "diet" thing before. I lost over 130 pounds only to gain the 130 plus more back. I don't want that anymore. I want to look healthier and most importantly feel healthier. For me it's a one day at a time approach. I pray, "Lord, with your help, just for today I will not make poor food choices." And so far, He's held up his end of the bargain and so have I.

Feeling better, noticing clothes fit loser and liking the foods I choose to eat. I pray the Lord will continue with me in my journey to a healthier me. Just for today. Amen.

Best of luck to you with your new "live it".
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I guess both. I started this almost 4 years ago. It is the only thing that has worked for me. I did take a hiatus for a bit and gained back a bit, but not all, so I am not as bad off. I have recently started over and reset my ticker.
    It did work as a lifestyle change, as I did not immediately gain it all plus some back, but sometimes you fall off and need to kick the dust off and start over.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I saw a post in the forums today that got me thinking. It was asking what kept people motivated. At that point I realized I didn't really feel all that motivated. Why haven't I quit? And then I realized...this isn't a struggle!

Weighing my food is a habit now, for one thing. I'm not eating at a huge deficit, for another. I go about my life, weigh out my food, track my weight and measurements, lose about 5 pounds a month, play badminton, drive my daughter to what seems like hell and back, all normal stuff. No magic, no fireworks, no tears in my rice cakes (if I ever ate any). Maybe it's because I see this as how my life is now, this is what I do. There is no "end". Therefore there is no motivation needed. Anyway, works for me!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I tend to shy away from terms like diet, lifestyle change, and weight loss journey...mainly because I have extremely vivid and negative images in my head for each one.

Diet = 80's aerobics instructor eats rice cakes in a teal & white outfit with matching high top Reeboks.
    Weight Loss Journey = nomads with robes and sticks crossing a mountain/desert area look for a magical weight loss plant.
    Lifestyle Change = 60-ish widow from suburban Texas moves to NYC, starts wearing day glo spandex and becomes a lesbian.

But in all seriousness, I feel that I changed my life back in 2008 when I hit my all-time highest weight of 307. I made the decision to truly take better care of my body to avoid future problems, to stop eating seriously ANYTHING I want whenever I want just because it tastes good, and to generally strive for health.

That change I made starting 6 years ago truly did help me a lot. I felt better, looked better, and lost over 40 lb.

But when I joined MFP in March of 2013 nothing further truly changed for me, EXCEPT counting calories and by doing so, learning a lot more about what I was consuming and its nutritional and caloric content. I've lost 89 lb so far on this site and it's just been kind of like "bonus". it's made it way easier to see results doing what I was already doing anyway.