not eating much, and gaining!

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    To add muscle you need to work them out with weight training. You need protein 6x per day. (can be small amounts for a max
    of 80 grams per day for a woman if you are working out. Muscle burns fat. If the skin is hanging, you do not have enough muscle
    for your body height/size. If the skin (even with chubb) is well adhered to the body....ie not hanging, you have enough muscle &
    just need to excercise/tone. Good luck.

Why 80 grams MAX for a woman? I aim for 100-110 per day and I'm not even trying to gain muscle at the moment. 80 grams just seems so low for bulking.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you must increase your metabolism. My trainer has me eating 6x per day. 3 meals. 3 snacks. They can be small
    but the frequency is very important. 1,000 calories per day is really low if you are working out and even if you are not working out
    so your body has gone into "starvation mode" & will save everything it gets. Also, when do we more protien (to add muscle) we gain weight. Worry about how you feel & your health, not a weight number. Good luck.
    Reply 2: When trying to lose weight remember the 8 glasses of water per day to flush fat/toxins out of your system. Also very important. Good luck. I am in the biggest loser program at my gym. Results are slow but they are happening. It comes with
    meal plan, work out plan, personal trainer. So, my advice is from a professional. smile
    To add muscle you need to work them out with weight training. You need protein 6x per day. (can be small amounts for a max
    of 80 grams per day for a woman if you are working out. Muscle burns fat. If the skin is hanging, you do not have enough muscle
    for your body height/size. If the skin (even with chubb) is well adhered to the body....ie not hanging, you have enough muscle &
    just need to excercise/tone. Good luck.
    Broscience overload
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you must increase your metabolism. My trainer has me eating 6x per day. 3 meals. 3 snacks. They can be small
    but the frequency is very important. 1,000 calories per day is really low if you are working out and even if you are not working out
    so your body has gone into "starvation mode" & will save everything it gets. Also, when do we more protien (to add muscle) we gain weight. Worry about how you feel & your health, not a weight number. Good luck.

Nope.
  • athelsel
    Options
    i'm not really trying to build muscle. I just need to lose as much as i can. I am also on phentermine for a week now. I dropped from 180 to 168 in a week, and now i'm around 170 somehow. I guess i need a food scale! :) I don't really exercise.. We play frisbee, biking on occasion, and things outside with the kids though.

I know it's selfish and its not the healthy or right way to go about it, but I am miserable like this! I do not want to eat all day long, and it takes serious effort to get food down my throat, so you'd think i'd lose. but im not. it's horrible. I have big boobs and I have a consult for a reduction, but Im afraid it will make the rest of me look huge. I just want to lose all this chubbiness and leftover fat from pregnancy. I am super impatient. My husband thinks I'm borderline eating disorder, but the truth is I just dont want to eat because im on the phentermine, and because I will do anything to lose the weight. why does it have to be so complicated :(
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    1. 2 lbs is normal weight fluctuation. Your body goes through them all the time based on food in your digestive tract, bladder fullness, clothing, water/glycogen stores, etc. It's not something to get upset about, nor does it mean calories in/calorie out doesn't work.

2. 1000 calories is not enough. Stop making that a goal. Eat more.

3. Weigh and measure your food and liquids, and record accurately. You don't need to estimate on grilled chicken, there are entries in the database for it. If you aren't doing that, you could very well be eating more than you think. Which you probably are, since you list your calories as "give or take." You've got to be consistent and accurate if you want the scale to move.

QFT
  • athelsel
    Options
    also, I feel fine. I'm not dizzy or shakey.
    I eat grilled chicken, and healthy food when i do eat, i take vitamins. plenty of water.
    So is it okay to eat very few calories until i lose some of these stubborn pounds?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    No, it's really not. Your body needs a minimum number of calories just to function.

How long ago did you give birth? your hormones could still be whacking out your system and making it harder for you to lose.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't understand not wanting to be a healthy Mommy so you can properly care for that baby. Pills and eating too little not a good combo.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    i'm not really trying to build muscle. I just need to lose as much as i can. I am also on phentermine for a week now. I dropped from 180 to 168 in a week, and now i'm around 170 somehow. I guess i need a food scale! :) I don't really exercise.. We play frisbee, biking on occasion, and things outside with the kids though.

I know it's selfish and its not the healthy or right way to go about it, but I am miserable like this! I do not want to eat all day long, and it takes serious effort to get food down my throat, so you'd think i'd lose. but im not. it's horrible. I have big boobs and I have a consult for a reduction, but Im afraid it will make the rest of me look huge. I just want to lose all this chubbiness and leftover fat from pregnancy. I am super impatient. My husband thinks I'm borderline eating disorder, but the truth is I just dont want to eat because im on the phentermine, and because I will do anything to lose the weight. why does it have to be so complicated :(

You probably should have mentioned the phentermine up front. It very likely would have changed some of our responses.
  • athelsel
    Options
    I gave birth august 26th. And I carried a baby for my friend, so i have no baby to care for atm...
    Also, in my intro thread i mentioned the phentermine, sorry i didn't think to this thread.
  • Cheyenne_K_
    Cheyenne_K_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You still need to be eating more.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    1. 2 lbs is normal weight fluctuation. Your body goes through them all the time based on food in your digestive tract, bladder fullness, clothing, water/glycogen stores, etc. It's not something to get upset about, nor does it mean calories in/calorie out doesn't work.

2. 1000 calories is not enough. Stop making that a goal. Eat more.

3. Weigh and measure your food and liquids, and record accurately. You don't need to estimate on grilled chicken, there are entries in the database for it. If you aren't doing that, you could very well be eating more than you think. Which you probably are, since you list your calories as "give or take." You've got to be consistent and accurate if you want the scale to move.

This plus its hard to say when your diary is closed.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    So you los12 pounds in a week and then gained back two? AH HAH! When you first lose weight, a lot of it is not fat and will come back on/go off (like two steps forward one step back kinda thing). You can really only lose 1 - 3 pounds of fat a week, so at this low calorie intake your body weight will fluctuate, but continue in an overall downward trend. What WILL happen on a low calorie diet is frustration (which you are already experiencing), and impatience that will derail your efforts. You need a more realistic/sustainable calorie level to continue to progress and GIVE IT TIME. Trust in the process and in your hard work. Have patience and love yourself while you are doing this. You are a good person (especially for carrying a friend's baby - good for you!)
  • athelsel
    Options
    I have been logging in loseit.. but I will start today logging on here. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I gave birth august 26th. And I carried a baby for my friend, so i have no baby to care for atm...
    Also, in my intro thread i mentioned the phentermine, sorry i didn't think to this thread.

You're an amazing friend - she's very lucky to have you. You still need to take care of yourself though. Hubby would probably like a healthy wife too. Plus August wasn't that long ago - hormones definitely could still be out of whack. I'd buy the food scale asap and start there. And up those calories a bit.
  • DreamBarefoot
    Options
    OMG GIRL... you need to eat more!!! Your body is going into starvation mode and holding on to fat which is why you are gaining and not losing. Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to function on a daily period and 1000 calories is not enough. I think that the calculator they use on this program is inaccurate! In my opinion very few adults should eat less than 1500 calories a day and that is before working out. Then if you workout you need to add the calories you burned back in to your total calories you eat. Also, you should have a splurge meal once a week where you eat more of what you want. This will remind your body of what you are trying to accomplish!!!! Trust me this method WORKS!!!
  • athelsel
    Options
    okay thank you guys so much! :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    OMG GIRL... you need to eat more!!! Your body is going into starvation mode and holding on to fat which is why you are gaining and not losing. Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to function on a daily period and 1000 calories is not enough. I think that the calculator they use on this program is inaccurate! In my opinion very few adults should eat less than 1500 calories a day and that is before working out. Then if you workout you need to add the calories you burned back in to your total calories you eat. Also, you should have a splurge meal once a week where you eat more of what you want. This will remind your body of what you are trying to accomplish!!!! Trust me this method WORKS!!!
    Not possible.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    2 pounds is really nothing out of the norm. I have gone up and down 5 - 7.5 lbs in 2 weeks. Its the overall trend of downwards that counts.

Please be safe with your prescription :flowerforyou:
  • athelsel
    Options
    good thats what i wanted to hear, then i should be losing!
    i have been force feeding myself calories because i thought i wouldn't be able to lose otherwise.