Polar users help please?

Options
Hey guys, I just bought a rs300x a few days ago. In the manual it says to detach the connector (transmitter) from the strap when not in use to maximise battery life.

Who actually does this? I've only had it two days and I'm finding it a pain to detach it after use, not to mention storing it away so it won't get lost/banged around.

At this stage, I'll continue doing this, but I'm not sure I see it as necessary. I would have thought the transmitter would only be active and therefore using charge when the watch has actually started a workout?

Also, the manual stipulates that washing of the strap should be done in 40 degree (celcius) water. Why the temperature specification? I can understand that extremes of either end could be bad, but why 40? What does everyone else do?

Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I detached mines because I rinse my strap off when I'm in the shower. I keep the transmitter on my dresser along with the watch while my strap air dries.After a week I wash my strap in the washer on the warm temp. I have no idea what the degrees are.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I detach mine to rinse in the shower as well--I've used baby shampoo to hand wash too. Every couple of weeks or so I wash mine in the machine with cold water on the gentle cycle (with other delicates). The transmitter and watch will either be one of two places (1) right on my treadmill so I know exactly where to find them or (2) on my dresser. I'm not sure of the temp of the water (just the temp from the tap) and I haven't had a problem.
  • tberry36
    Options
    I've had mine for about 3 years and never detach the transmitter unless I wash the strap. I wash it in the sink with whatever temperature water comes out and a little bit of soap. It's worked fine and I've only replaced the batteries once. The strap has even made it through being chewed by the dog. It might have a little electrical tape on it to keep the chewed up plastic from biting into my skin, but it works!
  • bkardong
    bkardong Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't have any extra advice, but I am happy to say that my strap survived the DRYER when I accidentally threw it in with the rest of the load from the washer. That makes me suspect the water temp doesn't matter too much!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Basically if the electrodes on the strap are wet at all (sweat, water etc) and the transmitter is still connected to the strap it will start transmitting (even after you finish working out) using battery life. I always leave my connected too since i dont want to lose the transmitter part.
  • rhan90
    rhan90 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input :happy:

I'm gonna keep mine disconnected majority of the time, unless I know I won't be using it for a couple of days. I will probably use it most days anyway, so I guess it wouldn't make that much of a difference if I left it on.
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    ...Also, the manual stipulates that washing of the strap should be done in 40 degree (celcius) water. Why the temperature specification? I can understand that extremes of either end could be bad, but why 40? What does everyone else do?

The 40 degrees is the upper limit it recommends for a wash so a cold to mild/warm wash is ok - just don't put it through a hot wash cycle. It recommends doing this once a week - the rest of the time just rinse off under a tap after each use.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I finally gave up on my softstrap and switched back to and older plastic one that I had laying around. I could never get a consistent signal. Changed batteries, sent it back to a Polar service center, washed it, tightened it until practically cut into my skin, but nothing seemed to work. The old transmitter strap works fine--I've probably been using it close to 5 years now--and in the past 2 yrs I have average 5-6 workouts per week.