Sodium in everything, especially "lite" foods

Options
What's up with so much sodium in canned and packaged products, especially like the title of this post, "lite" or reduced calorie foods ? I'm relatively new to MFP and am amazed at the amounts of salt in what I thought were healthy foods like light soup or salad dressing and even vegetables ! I'm trying to stay around 2300g of sodium and I find that one meal can put a huge dent in that. And Im worried about long term effects like high blood pressure etc.
I know, it probably means eat more fresh foods, but today I had freshwater salmon that I personally caught and MFP says that had 400 g of sodium.
One main example someone could answer is canned beans. I love beans in chili, soup, or on salad or even plain and warmed up. Are dried beans free of sodium ? It would be worth the soaking and waiting. Thanks for reading the rambling.

Replies

• jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I meant mg. milligrams.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Dried beans do not have sodium --- but remember that nearly everything (fresh or dried) has some natural sodium.

RE the light soups: manufacturers add more sodium so the soups have taste. Once you take out something, you have to add something (sodium) back in.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    In order to make foods "lite" or "low fat" companies have to add a ton of salt in order to improve the flavor for lack of fat/calories.
  • sarahjane135
    sarahjane135 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you rinse the canned beans it removes some of the sodium but the dried ones do have a lot less. I would try to stay away from light foods because when they take out fat and calories and sugar they replace it with salt and chemicals. It is better to eat real foods but just less of them.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Sodium in processed foods is there for taste as well as a preservative:

"Salt has been used as a preservative for centuries. The sodium and chloride ions reduce the water activity of foods, which refers to the amount of water that's available for supporting bacteria growth, or to allow other chemical reactions to take place. Salt might also draw water out of any bacteria present, which kills them or at least slows them down quite a bit. Salt also enhances fermentation, which is another technique for preserving foods."

http://nutrition.about.com/od/nutrition101/f/Why-Is-There-So-Much-Sodium-In-Processed-Foods.htm

I don't eat a lot of processed foods anymore and now find many soups and such taste too salty to me. The manufacturers really load it on!

I've also noticed that MFP sometimes adds quite a bit of salt to unprocessed foods. For instance, I baked a chicken breast last night and had some today at lunch. Per MFP, this 3oz of chicken has 614 mg of salt, although I didn't add any salt to it, just herbs. I ignore it because I never go over on my salt allotment anyway.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Unless you have been instructed to by your physician, you really don't need to "worry" about sodium--it doesn't "cause" high blood pressure.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/food_myths/Salt_Causes_High_Blood_Pressure.php

Yes, ^it's^ from Mens Health--I was too lazy to dig into the interwebz too far, but this has been disproven for a while.

While the sodium can cause a (temporary) weight gain, it's water weight and will your body will regulate itself. You can drink extra water if you're feeling bloaty.
  • jim_just_jim
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Pretty much what I thought.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    And DEFINITELY don't worry if it is from something you caught yourself. That has to be the most unprocessed thing you can possibly eat! I don't know how accurate MFP is, but even if it does have naturally occurring sodium, it wouldn't be bad for you. We all need some sodium. The best way not to go overboard is by avoiding as many processed foods as we can. And if we must (or want to) eat processed foods, eat in moderation. I have a friend who rinses all her canned veggies to remove as much sodium as possible. I personally wouldn't do that, but then I also wouldn't eat a canned veggie (the taste is appalling to me...but hey, whatever your floats your boat! lol)
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    You need a certain amount of sodium to maintain your electrolytes. Higher levels of sodium can cause you to have water retention, so to avoid this you can try to lower your sodium levels by picking low sodium products and fresh meats (versus processed meats). Drinking lots if water helps to flush your system if excess sodium. Although it sound strange, drinking lots of water will help prevent your body from retaining fluid. Hope this helps a bit. Take care.

Ps. I also meant to say many stay away from the lite products as they are usually not as healthy, plus have more sodium (as you already noticed). One fellow who is an MFP friend made a few changes by going with low sodium ketchup and things like that. It's the little things that help. Many of my friends (including myself) have problems with water retention, so we watch our sodium intake for that reason. Some can tolerate much higher levels than others. Take care :)
  • hmacgr
    hmacgr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found this lecture highly informative and interesting... http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/part-7-aetiology-obesity-salt-scare/
    I think you'll feel much better about it if you can get through it! :D
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I avoid anything high sodium. It gives me a headache and I have to drink a ton of water to get past that thirsty feel you get right after eating something high in salt.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    What's up with so much sodium in canned and packaged products, especially like the title of this post, "lite" or reduced calorie foods ? I'm relatively new to MFP and am amazed at the amounts of salt in what I thought were healthy foods like light soup or salad dressing and even vegetables ! I'm trying to stay around 2300g of sodium and I find that one meal can put a huge dent in that. And Im worried about long term effects like high blood pressure etc.
    I know, it probably means eat more fresh foods, but today I had freshwater salmon that I personally caught and MFP says that had 400 g of sodium.
    One main example someone could answer is canned beans. I love beans in chili, soup, or on salad or even plain and warmed up. Are dried beans free of sodium ? It would be worth the soaking and waiting. Thanks for reading the rambling.

Salt is everywhere! Pick your poison and choose your battles. Yes, it is worth soaking your beans overnight. They have fancy electric pressure cookers now that will cook your chili in a jiffy. I however, use a crock pot. I like coming home to dinner already done.

PS I found these random recipes online...

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Crock-Pot-Chili-With-Dried-Beans

http://www.kitchentreaty.com/17-crock-pot-vegetarian-chili-recipes-5-bonus-meaty-chili-recipes-for-the-carnivores/
  • jim_just_jim
    Options

Salt is everywhere! Pick your poison and choose your battles. Yes, it is worth soaking your beans overnight. They have fancy electric pressure cookers now that will cook your chili in a jiffy. I however, use a crock pot. I like coming home to dinner already done.

PS I found these random recipes online...

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Crock-Pot-Chili-With-Dried-Beans

http://www.kitchentreaty.com/17-crock-pot-vegetarian-chili-recipes-5-bonus-meaty-chili-recipes-for-the-carnivores/
  • jim_just_jim
    Options
    Thanks !
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful about my sodium intake so it's definately something I watch. I try to keep it as low as possible but it can be hard.
  • ghnewport
    ghnewport Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I always go and check NutritionData.self.com when the numbers looks weird from MFP or other fitness sites. Here's a link for salmon that might be helpful... http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-salmon000000000000000000000.html
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, sodium and sugar are usually added to foods marketed as low-fat or light when the original product is actually healthier.
  • rowanstuff
    Options
    I'm on a low sodium diet on doctor's orders. Turns out salt is hard on your kidneys. My target is under 1500mg a day, and I'm usually able to hit that.
    The problem with "lite" and "diet" foods is that when they take out the yummy fats they replace them with yummy salt and sugar. The only times I go over my target are the days where I have a diet supplement (Slimfast, protein mixes, et al) instead of real food.

I have found no-salt added black beans at Target. They are in those sealed boxes(instead of cans) and read-to-eat. Simply Balanced Organic. The box is bluish.

I recommend checking out www.sodiumgirl.com and look up her Youtube video's, too.

Some other great things to perk up a no-salt life. Matzo! Matzo crackers have no salt, and they are great! Balsamic vinegar, no salt and tons of flavor. Trader Joe's Stores have a lot of no or low salt items like unsalted corn chips and no salt added salsa. I have also stumbled on a condiment called "Harissa" thats made from peppers and only has a little salt in it. Enjoy!
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low sodium diet on doctor's orders. Turns out salt is hard on your kidneys. My target is under 1500mg a day, and I'm usually able to hit that.
    The problem with "lite" and "diet" foods is that when they take out the yummy fats they replace them with yummy salt and sugar. The only times I go over my target are the days where I have a diet supplement (Slimfast, protein mixes, et al) instead of real food.

I have found no-salt added black beans at Target. They are in those sealed boxes(instead of cans) and read-to-eat. Simply Balanced Organic. The box is bluish.

I recommend checking out www.sodiumgirl.com and look up her Youtube video's, too.

Some other great things to perk up a no-salt life. Matzo! Matzo crackers have no salt, and they are great! Balsamic vinegar, no salt and tons of flavor. Trader Joe's Stores have a lot of no or low salt items like unsalted corn chips and no salt added salsa. I have also stumbled on a condiment called "Harissa" thats made from peppers and only has a little salt in it. Enjoy!

Trader Joe's has some great stuff in low or no sodium, never have tried the Matzo crackers but they are on my list now.
    Thanks for the tip.
  • Josephine237
    Josephine237 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Lowering my sodium has been challenging for me, but I'm learning. It is a must for me as I only have 1 kidney. I learned some good ideas following this thread. Thanks.

Since I've been working in lowering sodium, I feel better, and no longer retain extra fluid around my ankles. I think it is very important to monitor if you want kidney and heart health.

Too much sodium can increase your need for potassium. Too little potassium can make your muscles weak.

A person only "needs" around 250 -300 mg a day from what I've read. I try to stay between 1200mg to 1500mg or less.