Keto Macros Help!

Options
crisb2
crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
Hi, I need help with my numbers, for some reason they aren't quite adding up (I suck at this).

So, this is what I got from the Keto Calculator:
---
*Generated by [Keto Calculator](http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com) 7.4*
27/F/5'5" | CW 185 | 30.97% BF | Mostly sedentary
* 1200 kcal Goal, a 36% deficit. (658 min, 1886 max)
* 20g Carbohydrates
* 77g Protein (77g min, 127g max)
* 90g Fat (30g min, 166g max)
----

But, then I read that you should eat 1 gram of protein per kg of reference weight (Lean Body Mass).

So, I know (doctor told me) that my Lean Body Mass is 127.7 lbs.
127.7 lbs / 2.2kg = 58g

So, when I try to do the calculations manually based on a 1,200 cal day, I get this:

Carb = 15g x 4 cals per/g = 60 cals = 6%
Protein = 60g x 9 cals per/g = 540 cals = 54%
Fat = 100g x 4cals per/g = 400 cals = 40%

When I add up the percentages I get 100%, but if you notice the cals only add up to 1,000 cals. (Math hates me! :'( )

And THEN, when I input it into my MFP goals it gets really crazy:
Here's what it looks like:
Calories 1,200
Carbs 15g = 5%
Protein 60g = 20%
Fat 100g = 75%

So, what am I doing wrong :) Fix my math, someone, please and THANK YOU!!!

Replies

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Use this: http://macronutrientcalculator.com/

No math needed. ;-)
  • BabyJUDYKAY
    BabyJUDYKAY Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I tried to get my MFP to match up to the keto calculator and I couldn't do it either.
  • zeusimad
    zeusimad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this fixes the math or not, but it looks like you're calculating fat at 4 calories per gram and protein at 9 calories per gram, and that should be the reverse.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi, I need help with my numbers, for some reason they aren't quite adding up (I suck at this).

So, this is what I got from the Keto Calculator:
    ---
    *Generated by [Keto Calculator](http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com) 7.4*
    27/F/5'5" | CW 185 | 30.97% BF | Mostly sedentary
    * 1200 kcal Goal, a 36% deficit. (658 min, 1886 max)
    * 20g Carbohydrates
    * 77g Protein (77g min, 127g max)
    * 90g Fat (30g min, 166g max)
    ----

But, then I read that you should eat 1 gram of protein per kg of reference weight (Lean Body Mass).

So, I know (doctor told me) that my Lean Body Mass is 127.7 lbs.
    127.7 lbs / 2.2kg = 58g

So, when I try to do the calculations manually based on a 1,200 cal day, I get this:

Carb = 15g x 4 cals per/g = 60 cals = 6%
    Protein = 60g x 9 cals per/g = 540 cals = 54%
    Fat = 100g x 4cals per/g = 400 cals = 40%

When I add up the percentages I get 100%, but if you notice the cals only add up to 1,000 cals. (Math hates me! :'( )

And THEN, when I input it into my MFP goals it gets really crazy:
    Here's what it looks like:
    Calories 1,200
    Carbs 15g = 5%
    Protein 60g = 20%
    Fat 100g = 75%

So, what am I doing wrong :) Fix my math, someone, please and THANK YOU!!!

1 gm carb = 4 calories
    1 gm protein = 4 calories
    1 gm fat = 9 caloriies

20 gm carb x 4 = 80 calories from carb
    77 gm protein x 4 = 308 calories from protein
    The remainder is fat
    Starting at 1200 calories:
    1200 - 80 - 308 = 812 calories from fat
    812 calories from fat divided by 9 = 90.2 grams of fat

80 x 100 divided by 1200 = 6.67% from carb (Set MFP to 5% and make sure to eat slightly over goal)
    308 x 100 divided by 1200 = 25.67% from protein (Set MFP to 25% and make sure to eat slightly over goal)
    812 x 100 divided by 1200 = 67.67% from fat (Set MFP to 70% and make sure to eat under goal)

There are some keto groups/forums here, so it might be a good place to post questions in the future. :)
  • crisb2
    Options
    I'm such an airhead!! :) Thanks! It was driving me crazy!!!!

Carb = 15g x 4 cals per/g = 60 cals = 5%
    Protein = 60g x 4 cals per/g = 240 cals = 20%
    Fat = 100g x 9 cals per/g = 900 cals = 75%
  • crisb2
    Options

There are some keto groups/forums here, so it might be a good place to post questions in the future. :)

I tried doing a search and couldn't find em... could you give me links? Thanks
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is 1,948 and 20% less this number is still much higher then 1,200 calories. You can go to iifym.com, calculators, TDEE. I used your criteria so the lowest you ought to go is 1,560 calories. So if you are going lower, well good luck. As for your math, I think someone has walked down the gram aisle.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    I'm such an airhead!! :) Thanks! It was driving me crazy!!!!

Carb = 15g x 4 cals per/g = 60 cals = 5%
    Protein = 60g x 4 cals per/g = 240 cals = 20%
    Fat = 100g x 9 cals per/g = 900 cals = 75%

Oh, BTW, if you follow this MACRO breakdown you'll need to adjust this periodically and check with your physician as you lose LBM. By eating 60 grams of protein you will lose LBM; combine this 1,200 calories and you'll lose quite a bit of LBM. Best of luck.
  • PatchEFog
    Options

I tried doing a search and couldn't find em... could you give me links? Thanks
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1511-reddit-keto

and a different sort of keto...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/60996-okl-living
  • crisb2
    Options
    Your TDEE is 1,948 and 20% less this number is still much higher then 1,200 calories. You can go to iifym.com, calculators, TDEE. I used your criteria so the lowest you ought to go is 1,560 calories. So if you are going lower, well good luck. As for your math, I think someone has walked down the gram aisle.

O.O Hmmmm.... yeah, another dummy mistake. I took my BMR (1755 according to doc) instead of my TDEE into account, for the 30% deficit.

So, for a TDEE of 1970 cals (according to Katch-McCardle formula on the site you gave me), and a deficit of 20% that would be 1,576 cals per day...

So that would be
    Carb = 20g = 5%
    Protein = 79g = 20%
    Fat = 131 g = 75%

But then, my protein goes up again, and wasn't it supposed to be 1g per kg of LBM?
    On this new site you gave me it says it's 1g p/lb so that's 2.2 times as much.... help, again? :(
  • PatchEFog
    Options

O.O Hmmmm.... yeah, another dummy mistake. I took my BMR (1755 according to doc) instead of my TDEE into account, for the 30% deficit.

So, for a TDEE of 1970 cals (according to Katch-McCardle formula on the site you gave me), and a deficit of 20% that would be 1,576 cals per day...

So that would be
    Carb = 20g = 5%
    Protein = 79g = 20%
    Fat = 131 g = 75%

But then, my protein goes up again, and wasn't it supposed to be 1g per kg of LBM?
    On this new site you gave me it says it's 1g p/lb so that's 2.2 times as much.... help, again? :(
    There's a lot of debate about calories on keto and recommended protein versus optimal protein.
    Dr. Ron Rosedale doesn't think we need as much protein after we are keto-adapted, so his formula is:
    1 gm per kg ideal body weight minus 10%
    There's also a lot of debate about life expectancy with reduced calories and reduced protein.
    Dr. Phinney and Dr Volek have a rage of 0.8 gm to 1.5 gm per kg lean body mass.
    Most on Keto Reddit seem to go for 0.8 gm to 1 gm stating that 1.5 gm is reserved more-or-less for athletes.

A non-ketogenic blogger, Mark Sisson of Mark's Daily Apple (a primal site), recommends 0.7 gm per kg lean body mass.

Optimal Ketogenic Living (OKL) seems to recommend along the lines of 2 gm per kg lean body mass.

I tried to increase my protein, but it just wasn't happening. I truly believe I'm not active enough for a higher volume of protein. This may change, but I seem to be doing well along the lines of 1.25 gm per kg of lean body mass.

You will have to see what works for you and adjust your macros accordingly. :)
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

So that would be
    Carb = 20g = 5%
    Protein = 79g = 20%
    Fat = 131 g = 75%

Maybe a conflict of goals. If you want to follow a Keto diet and eat below a Protein number then you'll need to increase your fat MACRO. If you are concerned you do not want to lose LBM too quickly then the Protein MACRO ought to be closer to the 1 gram per LBM pound. Make sense? I think your primary goal is keeping Carbs low so you can fiddle with the other two. Either way you choose, try to weigh your food, log regularly and adjust the calorie goal as you drop weight.
  • crisb2
    Options
    Thanks all for your help! :)