My story...has some1 else experienced n has advice!!

Options
ok sorry for the long story but no other way...First off I do not have health insurance and am tapped out as far as the healthcare industry goes since they did nothing but cost me money and had no answers for me....Close to two years ago I had a mini-stroke..after so many tests and no answers their answer was I am entering into early pre menopause since I had a hysterectomy about 7yrs ago..they had left in one of my ovaries to be able to still produce my own hormones but now have thot that its not producing anymore. So it has thrown me into early premenopause..it started causing bad migraines and that was what in turn threw me into the stroke. But due now to the stroke diagnosis they will not help me with any hormone therapy but think this has knocked my endocrine system out of whack and that is what is causing most of the problems im having. The hormone test is over 200.00 to just find out what hormone I may need to try to get on some natural ones...I started thinking at the end of the year with doctors that mayb I can just do it myself....so off to the gym I went and that was in June 2012...Cardio 6x a week for at least an hour..did this for 6 months and nothing....I switched from pof in blue springs to the one im at now and got with the trainer and with her interval training after two weeks I lost 10lbs and 2in...so she would change me up every 3wks..difffernt weights and workout but then after 3wks I gained the whole ten pounds back in a week and after 2 months I gained back the 2in with another inch to go with it...so I made friends with a guy who had been a weight lifting competitor and he turned me on to the free weights which were amazing...I didn't lose any weight but lost 4 inches in my upper stomach right under my chest and 4 inches in my thighs and 2 in in my butt he also kept changing it up as he said the same as the trainer you cant do the same thing all the time...so im excited and cardio 2x a week then weights 3x then alternate but then the same within a month the blouses I went down from 1x to xl were all to tight and so were the size 12 jeans I dropped to..I gained back all the inches I lost right to the same.....So my workout partner stopped coming to the gym and I kinda slacked a little was going for cardio and then started the p90x well after a week two of that and my body hurting so badly I had gained an inch in my arms and 2 in the thighs and an all time high of now a 42in in my waist( now I was only ever a 38in waist and never ever over that) so I'm kind of at a loss as this goes except my boss says she thinks my muscles are retaining water...I was leg pressing 150lbs...bench pressing 70lbs...doing assisted chin ups...reverse sit ups 40 every other day then bench leg lifts 40 every other day...75lb pull downs I wasn't being a sissy my partner had lost 30lbs and went from a size large to a small in 5months and me well this is what I got and Im bigger than I was to even begin with....Now everyone says it has to be your diet...So when I started two years ago at the gym I also started doing the smoothies bought my nutria bullet as I had been diagnosed with a syndrome that is not allowing my food to digest..what took most ppl to digest in 45min took me 3hrs so their are a lot of things I cant eat as if I do they will make me sick...I had gotten down to 800 calories a day and I couldn't eat and drink so it was one or the other and a give and take kind of thing...so the smoothies help with my digestion, giving me the calories I need and the things I wouldn't be able to eat all together and even some things I just don't like and wouldn't eat go in my smoothies....2handfuls of spinach...2mushrooms...half an avocado...half cup pineapple..a small orange...a small apple..a small banana..a quarter cup of berry mix...and half cup of greek yogurt...and half cup strawberries...mind you it sounds like a lot and I agree it is but I have a small amount while im getting ready for work around 7-730am...then I have another small amount around 9am...then another amount around 12pm then the last little bit at 2pm when I actually break for lunch...I haven't drank pop in close to 2yrs...I gave up sweet tea(on occasion I have one) last year and drink only water...I gave up most red meat and eat it mayb every 3months and eat chicken(don't like fish) at one point when working with the lifter guy he put me on a diet that follows...6 egg whites...cup of oatmeal and half a grapefruit for breakfast...then at 10 I had half can of green beans(no sodium) a small 4oz boneless chicken breast...and cup of brown rice...then I repeated the same at 12pm and then no carbs whatsoever after 1pm...then for dinner I would have another chicken breast and half green beans then right before bed I had a banana and a cup of unsweetened almond milk with a scoop of protein powder...I did this diet for 12days... I slimmed a little down in the waist mayb two inches but as soon as I was off of it it came right back like within a week..I don't usually eat dairy as I am lactose intolerant so milk is unsweetened almond...and I basically don't have butter or cheese or bread either...its my smoothie and then a piece of chicken for dinner and that's it...I could live off my smoothies as they fill me up without making me feel like im gonna explode and be happy as I don't even care for food anymore. I am kind of at a loss...I take 2000mg of fish oil a day as recommended by the doctors and have kept that up...I have to take something for energy as I feel exhausted a lot or I would never get out of bed...I take a raspberry ketone..green tea..acai fruit...and afican mango and apple cider vinegar that was recommended by the health food store and it works very well for me but I have to have it or I was almost falling asleep at work...I have tried CLS..the garcinica Cambodia stuff....green coffee bean...but now im just taking the energy pill the fish oil and a coconut supplement. A friend of mine has recommended I try the tracy Anderson workout since it triggers the small muscles and keeps you from bulking up which I am doing that everyone says I wouldn't ??? No matter what whether water or the muscle building underneath my muscles are growning...After not having exercised for two weeks I am losing a little in my arms and legs but my waist is still big and especially the bottom part. So I am at a loss on what to do or how to do it. I am hoping by putting it out there that someone has experienced the same as me and can advise me on what they did to help. I would love some honest open opinions...I don't lie to my friends and expect the same from them...and all I can say is thank you!!!

Replies

• amazin71
    amazin71 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    this is extremely hard for me to deal with as I never had a weight problem other than overeating...when I would back on my fats I would drop it off like nothing...I once lost like 60pounds in 6months with eating healthy and exercising so it has not been a life long issue for me just the last couple 3 to 4 years
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Raspberry keytones and Acai berries do nothing for weight loss. You need a caloric deficit to succeed. Use MFP to count calories and make an effort to move more,

To be honest, it was very hard reading your OP.
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    Your post is very hard to read - try editing it with some paragraph breaks, that might get more people to read it. There are lots of people on here that might be able to give you some good advice, if they can read your post.

My eyes hurt now :frown:
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You will probably get more comments if you go back through and format your story to add paragraphs. Reading that is not fun!

Anyway, I'm not going to give you much advice on your diet because of your medical history. I would tell you to have that conversation with your doc, but they don't seem to be very helpful for you :( I will mention that pretty much all those things you mentioned near the end (keytones, green tee, etc..) are worthless. You might feel like they are working due to the placebo effect, but you are wasting your money on it. Take that money you would normally spend on that junk and stuff it in a cookie jar. When you reach $200, you will have the money for your hormone test.

Weight loss isn't just a week long or month long process, and it isn't just about working out. If you lost 10 pounds, then gained it all back in less than a month's time, you didn't really lose 10 pounds. You lost water weight, then gained back water weight.

You don't need to switch your workouts every two weeks to 'confuse' muscles. Progressive overloading is all you need until you plateau in your training. Log your weight lifted, sets, and reps, and improve on one or more of those numbers each time you execute the same lift.

You aren't bulking the way you think you are bulking. I'm almost 15 years younger than you, male, and eating at a reasonable surplus to add mass + lifting heavy with the intention of building muscle and it's a long slow process. You aren't going to accidentally get huge, especially if you are eating to lose weight.

Again, it will be much easier to answer your questions with paragraphs to re-read things for clarification :)
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but too difficult to read this. It's like your post stumbled down the stairs. Please, edit.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I... I.... what?????
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Paragraphing OP's original text:
    ok sorry for the long story but no other way...

First off I do not have health insurance and am tapped out as far as the healthcare industry goes since they did nothing but cost me money and had no answers for me....

Close to two years ago I had a mini-stroke..after so many tests and no answers their answer was I am entering into early pre menopause since I had a hysterectomy about 7yrs ago..they had left in one of my ovaries to be able to still produce my own hormones but now have thot that its not producing anymore. So it has thrown me into early premenopause..

it started causing bad migraines and that was what in turn threw me into the stroke. But due now to the stroke diagnosis they will not help me with any hormone therapy but think this has knocked my endocrine system out of whack and that is what is causing most of the problems im having. The hormone test is over 200.00 to just find out what hormone I may need to try to get on some natural ones...

I started thinking at the end of the year with doctors that mayb I can just do it myself....so off to the gym I went and that was in June 2012...Cardio 6x a week for at least an hour..did this for 6 months and nothing....I switched from pof in blue springs to the one im at now and got with the trainer and with her interval training after two weeks I lost 10lbs and 2in...so she would change me up every 3wks..difffernt weights and workout but then after 3wks I gained the whole ten pounds back in a week and after 2 months I gained back the 2in with another inch to go with it...

so I made friends with a guy who had been a weight lifting competitor and he turned me on to the free weights which were amazing...I didn't lose any weight but lost 4 inches in my upper stomach right under my chest and 4 inches in my thighs and 2 in in my butt he also kept changing it up as he said the same as the trainer you cant do the same thing all the time...

so im excited and cardio 2x a week then weights 3x then alternate but then the same within a month the blouses I went down from 1x to xl were all to tight and so were the size 12 jeans I dropped to..I gained back all the inches I lost right to the same.....So my workout partner stopped coming to the gym and I kinda slacked a little was going for cardio and then started the p90x well after a week two of that and my body hurting so badly I had gained an inch in my arms and 2 in the thighs and an all time high of now a 42in in my waist( now I was only ever a 38in waist and never ever over that) so I'm kind of at a loss as this goes except my boss says she thinks my muscles are retaining water...

I was leg pressing 150lbs...bench pressing 70lbs...doing assisted chin ups...reverse sit ups 40 every other day then bench leg lifts 40 every other day...75lb pull downs I wasn't being a sissy my partner had lost 30lbs and went from a size large to a small in 5months and me well this is what I got and Im bigger than I was to even begin with....

Now everyone says it has to be your diet...So when I started two years ago at the gym I also started doing the smoothies bought my nutria bullet as I had been diagnosed with a syndrome that is not allowing my food to digest..what took most ppl to digest in 45min took me 3hrs so their are a lot of things I cant eat as if I do they will make me sick...

I had gotten down to 800 calories a day and I couldn't eat and drink so it was one or the other and a give and take kind of thing...so the smoothies help with my digestion, giving me the calories I need and the things I wouldn't be able to eat all together and even some things I just don't like and wouldn't eat go in my smoothies....2handfuls of spinach...2mushrooms...half an avocado...half cup pineapple..a small orange...a small apple..a small banana..a quarter cup of berry mix...and half cup of greek yogurt...and half cup strawberries...

mind you it sounds like a lot and I agree it is but I have a small amount while im getting ready for work around 7-730am...then I have another small amount around 9am...then another amount around 12pm then the last little bit at 2pm when I actually break for lunch...I haven't drank pop in close to 2yrs...I gave up sweet tea(on occasion I have one) last year and drink only water...

I gave up most red meat and eat it mayb every 3months and eat chicken(don't like fish) at one point when working with the lifter guy he put me on a diet that follows...6 egg whites...cup of oatmeal and half a grapefruit for breakfast...then at 10 I had half can of green beans(no sodium) a small 4oz boneless chicken breast...and cup of brown rice...then I repeated the same at 12pm and then no carbs whatsoever after 1pm...then for dinner I would have another chicken breast and half green beans then right before bed I had a banana and a cup of unsweetened almond milk with a scoop of protein powder...

I did this diet for 12days... I slimmed a little down in the waist mayb two inches but as soon as I was off of it it came right back like within a week..

I don't usually eat dairy as I am lactose intolerant so milk is unsweetened almond...and I basically don't have butter or cheese or bread either...its my smoothie and then a piece of chicken for dinner and that's it...I could live off my smoothies as they fill me up without making me feel like im gonna explode and be happy as I don't even care for food anymore. I am kind of at a loss...

I take 2000mg of fish oil a day as recommended by the doctors and have kept that up...I have to take something for energy as I feel exhausted a lot or I would never get out of bed...I take a raspberry ketone..green tea..acai fruit...and afican mango and apple cider vinegar that was recommended by the health food store and it works very well for me but I have to have it or I was almost falling asleep at work...

I have tried CLS..the garcinica Cambodia stuff....green coffee bean...but now im just taking the energy pill the fish oil and a coconut supplement. A friend of mine has recommended I try the tracy Anderson workout since it triggers the small muscles and keeps you from bulking up which I am doing that everyone says I wouldn't ??? No matter what whether water or the muscle building underneath my muscles are growning...

After not having exercised for two weeks I am losing a little in my arms and legs but my waist is still big and especially the bottom part. So I am at a loss on what to do or how to do it. I am hoping by putting it out there that someone has experienced the same as me and can advise me on what they did to help. I would love some honest open opinions...I don't lie to my friends and expect the same from them...and all I can say is thank you!!!
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thanks Heidi. And you noticed I didn't quote you. :drinker:
  • amydfreund
    Options
    I skimmed the post as it is way long, but I noticed in the first line you mention you don't have insurance. I don't know much about Obama Care, but isn't that available to you? It seems you would benefit from medical intervention and this could be the key for you
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    Options
    Okay, now that I've had a chance to try to break down what you are saying, let me give helping you a shot.

First, calm down and don't try to listen to what EVERYONE says. Many of us will give you conflicting information much of which is right but some of which isn't -- and we are each likely to be insistent we are right.

What is true is that NO non-prescription diet pills work, no matter who recommends them. Save your money and don't buy any of them.

Exercise is good for you but it is less important for weight loss than for health. Weight loss rests on your diet. For the most part, it's "calories in/calories out." To lose weight you must burn more calories than you eat. Trying to do this through exercise alone will drive you crazy.

Rapid rises and drops in weight as you described are, for the most part, due to water weight. Water weight comes and goes for all of us. Exercise can make you hold onto water as can salty food.

You have a learning curve ahead of you if you want to find health through diet and exercise. Many people who pretend to have the answers are talking through their hats. You need to find a trusted source for information.

My trusted go to as a first source of information is the Harvard School of Public Health's "Nutritionsource." It's a website for the public that tries to help us make sensible choices. Their address is

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

We can help you determine the calorie counts you should aim toward for weight loss. Go to the "Getting Started" forum and read some of the pinned postings.

Feel free to message me if you want some help figuring out your numbers.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Is there a sparknotes for this?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

EDITED

.After not having exercised for two weeks I am losing a little in my arms and legs but my waist is still big and especially the bottom part. So I am at a loss on what to do or how to do it. I am hoping by putting it out there that someone has experienced the same as me and can advise me on what they did to help. I would love some honest open opinions...I don't lie to my friends and expect the same from them...and all I can say is thank you!!!

Log your food everyday.
    Eat fewer calories. You can lose weight.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    Options
    I skimmed the post as it is way long, but I noticed in the first line you mention you don't have insurance. I don't know much about Obama Care, but isn't that available to you? It seems you would benefit from medical intervention and this could be the key for you

In states like the one I am in, South Carolina, our governors refused the federal Medicaid expansion money. Basically, low income adults in South Carolina are SOL when it comes to health insurance. Most of them cannot get Medicaid no matter how low their income is. Health insurance is not free with "Obamacare." The affordable care act only makes it possible for people to buy health insurance at a more reasonable price. If you are making minimum wage and live in a state that has refused Medicaid expansion, you fall through the cracks. You can't afford health insurance AND you can't get Medicaid.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    :noway: Too long, didn't read

Then there is no need to reply.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I will mention that pretty much all those things you mentioned near the end (keytones, green tee, etc..) are worthless. You might feel like they are working due to the placebo effect, but you are wasting your money on it. Take that money you would normally spend on that junk and stuff it in a cookie jar. When you reach $200, you will have the money for your hormone test.

Weight loss isn't just a week long or month long process, and it isn't just about working out. If you lost 10 pounds, then gained it all back in less than a month's time, you didn't really lose 10 pounds. You lost water weight, then gained back water weight.

You don't need to switch your workouts every two weeks to 'confuse' muscles. Progressive overloading is all you need until you plateau in your training. Log your weight lifted, sets, and reps, and improve on one or more of those numbers each time you execute the same lift.

This is really good advice, I agree with this. Save that money up for your hormone test.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time and I hope it gets better soon, keep your chin up girl!
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Heidicookssupper has it summarized nicely.

I would add that you seem to have many, many food sensitivities. Heck, I do not know how you survive if you need so much extra time to digest food.

I do not see how you will be able to do this without help from a doctor and nutritionist.
  • jaynalawayna
    jaynalawayna Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know you aren't really in a position to spend more money on doctors. Are you on any current meds? My doctor made a change in my medications back in July and I had a big gain due to water retention because of it. I try to make good choices on food and exercise every day. I agree that when I change it up between hard cardio and strength training I feel more successful. When you can see a doctor also investigate your thyroid - it is a big culprit when it comes to body issues.

Good luck to you
  • amydfreund
    Options
    Wow Heidi, thanks for the education, I didn't know about the different states and don't really know much about Obamacare, but was thinking it would help. Didn't know some states didn't have medicaid either? Learn something every day!
  • amazin71
    Options
    Sorry for the bad posting. I was just thinking about getting it out without forgetting something and it hasn't been letting me comment or even access the post till today. I appreciate all the advice and opinions. I do not take any of the supplements anymore except the energy one or I wouldn't be able to get out of bed :) I make over 25k a year so I do not qualify for any assistance and the Obamacare was quoted to me at 125.00 a month and I simply don't have that extra a month to pay for it. It is only 150.00 at work but same thing. I was going to the local hospital and was getting a discounted rate but I had 35k in costs from my mini stroke so I've slowly been paying it down and got some of it discounted even taken off I actually only owe 2k now which is good. Altho once they turned me over to the collection agencies since every doctor and things were separate some weren't getting paid enough they cut me off the discount plan for not being able to pay. I have been on a waiting list for 3yrs to get a regular physician so none of the other doctors will order tests or anything for me because its not their field and I do not have a regular physician. yes I can get one on my own but that's is a lot of money upfront and then visits and tests to pay for at the time of service and that is why I do not go. I am not on any medicines currently. The one pill they did put me on for the digestion issues...they said what I have is common in diabetics but are now just finding it in others but their solution is what is a very very high dosage of zantac and I had an allergic reaction to it so I stopped taking it. The smoothies help and keep my food moving through so I just stick with them. I have been on here for a long time logging and I am usually under my calorie goal. I have done this before and always lost weight if I didn't eat crap then I would lose 20-50 within 6months it has always melted right off till the last 3yrs and nothing works.
  • amazin71
    Options
    I also forgot to say THANK YOU Heidi cooks supper!!!