How to begin going to a gym?

So I'm close to 300lbs, I'm only 5"5', so I'm a pretty large guy.

I've been cycling on a stationary bike for 30 minutes 3x a week, for a couple months, but recently due to moving, I've only been able to walk a mile or two during the day.

I'm starting a new job soon and they pay for a gym membership, so I was planning on going to the one 30 seconds from my office.

The problem I have, is that I don't know what to even do when I go there. Do I just cycle for 30 minutes, maybe use the rowing machine for 15 minutes... just a lost at what I would actually do there.

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Do whatever you want, just make sure you give your workout everything youve got while your there, find something you enjoy and stick to it
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Totally understandable - I remember feeling super lost when I first went to a gym. I left feeling embarrassed and ashamed, and for no good reason!

The key is to go in with a plan, which is what you're doing - great job so far! :)

I would start by identifying your goals. Do you want to lose bodyfat? Because that's 80-90% cleaning up your diet - again, great job, MFP is the perfect place to do that! Be patient, and keeping plugging away at your food diary, and you'll get there!

Next, what kind of *fitness* goals are you going for?

Strength? Weight lifting! I'd suggest you look at programs like Starting Strength, or 5/3/1. The bonus is that weight lifting is also a very efficient way to lose weight as well. Those programs will detail what exercises, how many reps, sets, and what weight to use. Your main lifts will likely be deadlift, bench press, and squats, which are very "complete" in that they work out most of your body.

Same answer if your goal is aesthetics (which is a totally legit goal as well) - if you want to have a six pack and giant muscles, I'd look at weight lifting as well - same programs, but aim for hypertrophy sets (~10 reps per set) instead of the lower amounts.

If weights aren't your thing, bodyweight fitness is also a great option. Pushups, pull-ups/chin-ups, squats... all great options, with modifications to make them harder over time to keep up with your new, stronger body.

Alternatively, are you gunning for crazy cardio, like a lean "athlete's body"? Well, then I would look at jogging, swimming, etc. This is where those cardio machines (treadmills, ellipticals, etc) come in handy, but keep in mind:

1) You have to *push* yourself. Get that heart rate up, or you're not doing anything at the gym.

2) Exercising for weight loss is *supplemental* - it will increase the amount of your calorie deficit, leading to faster weight loss.

Edit: Programs to help you here: Couch to 5K (C25K), the 100 pushup challenge, etc are good for people who want great endurance, but not necessarily strength/big muscles.

Finally, the MFP community likes to encourage eating back your exercise calories, but I don't like to, because MFP tends to over-estimate (drastically, at times) how many calories you burn in an exercise. Secondly, the whole point of exercise for weightloss is to *increase* your caloric deficit! Why eat that away?!

I can get into more details, just want to hear your goals first :)
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    I would hire a personal trainer, and have them point you in the right direction for starters.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Weight loss number one- comes from a calorie deficit- but in the bigger picture, health and wellness should include a general fitness plan- which should have TWO basic components- cardio and resistance training.

There is absolutely NO right answer as to which one is right or wrong- or best. The priority you commit to each one will depend largely on your goals- but for now- if you think general wellness/health- then any thing that includes some element of BOTH will be beneficial to you.

1.) cardio will help build a larger calorie deficit in- and plus it's just good to include it as part of a balanced fitness plan in terms of your heart and lungs- you know- cardiovascular system- it's important to work that and keep it functional.

2.) resistance/strength training- it's good for your muscles- will improve your balance and ability to function in life- and generally improve your quality of life. As you lose weight- lifting/resistance training should be done so you are maximizing fat loss- and minimizing muscle loss. If someone does cardio only- they often find themselves closing in on goal weight and being fairly unhappy with the way they look because they are now essentially a smaller version of who they once were- rather than a new fit/"toned" fabulous body that's different than the one they had.

Both of them can be "easy" or hard. Both of them can be miserable- and both can be extremely rewarding.

But as I said- outside of specific goals- a general fitness program should include both.

Cardio as you noted can be done any many forms- spinning- elliptical- walking- stairmaster- aerobics classes- whatever floats your boat.

Resistence can be bands- body weight- islations splits or compound barbell lifting.

The easiest- most efficient way to include resistance training is to pick up Starting Strength, Strong lifts, or New Rules of Lifting.

They are barbell programs that walk you through as a beginner on how to get started with strength training- you don't have to think about anything- just show up and do the work.

They are a great jumping point and I would HIGHLY recommend you look into them and educate yourself. Hire a trainer if you need for form work.

Don't worry about feeling stupid- 1.) no one really cares and 2) people all started somewhere- and they are usually willing to help you out. So don't get intimidated by that- just show up and do the work. You'll surprise yourself at what you can accomplish.

Good luck and congrats on your gym journey!!!
  • ironsun
    ironsun Posts: 30
    Does the gym offer classes? It might be a good way to try different things and see what you like. Spinning, water aerobics, TRX, etc.
  • stevierg
    stevierg Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for all the replies!

Overall my current goal is to lose weight, I've been doing that so far with a calorie deficiency and so far it's been working ok.

So my next target is to build up my fitness. I have a stationary bike, (but it's currently in transport and won't be here for 4 weeks yet), but I was using that for 8 weeks. During that time, I went from 3 minutes before I thought I would die, to making it harder and cycling for 30 minutes non stop.

My overall goal is to go hiking on the Scottish mountains, so I need to build up my cardio for sure to be able to climb for 4 to 8 hours at a time.

Weights I know for sure I will need a trainer. The classes at the gym I'm going to are mainly cardio, but they do offer personal trainers. Maybe that is the right way to go about it.

I guess going to the gym and just using a single machine for 30 minutes isn't the best thing to do either.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I know when I went they had a free course where an instructor showed you how to use the equipment properly. They got me started on a routine.
  • Superpook
    Superpook Posts: 20 Member
    Whenever you feel embarrassed or lost at the gym, just tell yourself...."At least I'm here doing something healthy!" Everybody else there is working out their own struggles too. Even the best looking person there is working to maintain and improve their good health.

Consult with your doctor and consider a referral for a dietitian/nutritionist and a consultation with a personal trainer.
    1. Your doctor will tell you what your body needs most right now and what your body can tolerate best towards that goal
    2. The nutritionist is going to help you create a sensible diet plan that will help you lose weight in a healthy way
    3. The personal trainer is going to listen to you as you describe what you want and need according to the doc and nutritionist and help you develop a workout that will help you get started safely

I met a guy about 23 at my gym and he swam in the pool every day. He'd already lost 100+ pounds and he was still very, very, big. But he was determined and he did not get discouraged. Everybody at the gym knows him so when he goes he gets great support. His weak link was his diet. He didn't know how to eat healthy food and when he was telling me about how he prepares one of his go-to healthy dinners, it actually wasn't very healthy after all. He needed a nutritionist to guide him. Even so, he lost his weight and improved his cardio by swimming over an hour a day.

Good luck to you! You can do this.
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    I would hire a personal trainer, and have them point you in the right direction for starters.

I agree with this. Working with a trainer for a bit helped me figure out what I like - lifting. Before that I'd just get on a treadmill and go as hard as I could for as long as I could. Not exactly the best approach but better than nothing. The strength gains I've made since May as a newbie lifter are very empowering.

I have nothing but the deepest respect for obese people who come to the gym and work their tails off. I suspect your biggest fans will be people at the gym who you regularly see and they will encourage you as you work and progress over time. Don't be intimidated one bit.

Sam
  • Today I signed up for a gym membership myself. I was thinking the exact same thing... what am I going to do first, how often, etc? My main goal is actually to implement weight training because I already have a dog that I walk extensively now. I went home and asked Google what to do and stumbled on aworkoutroutine.com ... take a looksee and you might find some help. I plan on looking at Youtube videos to see the proper way to do these exercises simply because I can't afford a personal trainer at the moment.

Congrats on making another commitment towards good health!
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Most gyms have someone that will take you on a tour and show you how to use the machines. Do the tour. Ask all the questions that pop into your head, that is what they are there for!. Do not be afraid to admit you know nothing about the machines, they will be happy to show you how they work They prefer a novice to a know it all that does everything wrong!
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member

I was going to suggest this. A personal trainer can talk to you and help you figure out how to make a start, especially if you want to try lifting. Also, check out the class schedule, see if there's anything you're interested in trying. You might end up finding something you enjoy, just be sure to go to a beginner's class if it's something you've never done before. They tend to go a little slower, because everyone is learning. :)
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    A couple points - as many mentioned most gyms will do an orientation. Some will also off reductions for trainers for the first one or two sessions. If you can't afford a trainer then there are a lot of good books that offer a good into to basic training. Men's fitness has several books that offer workouts that you can take to the gym with you. The hardest part is truly stepping into the gym the first time. You have to go there a couple times in a row to start feeling comfortable there. There are classes, training, circuit training and lots of other methods but ultimately you need to decide what is going to make you feel comfortable there. Many people start with equipment like treadmills or elliptical and then branch out from there.

I also use an app called body space which is free and can offer programs to get you going. Just get there and stick to it. Good luck. If i can help in anyway just message me.

You may find others in this group that can help - great bunch of guys.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4270-the-royal-order-of-middle-aged-fat-men
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member

I agree with this. Working with a trainer for a bit helped me figure out what I like - lifting. Before that I'd just get on a treadmill and go as hard as I could for as long as I could. Not exactly the best approach but better than nothing. The strength gains I've made since May as a newbie lifter are very empowering.

I have nothing but the deepest respect for obese people who come to the gym and work their tails off. I suspect your biggest fans will be people at the gym who you regularly see and they will encourage you as you work and progress over time. Don't be intimidated one bit.

Sam

THIS ^^^^

I started at the gym almost 3 years ago at 228lbs on my 5'1" frame. I did cardio and weight machines on my own for the first year (although, I made friends with the trainer and he helped me a little). For most of the last 18+ months, I have worked with the trainer on free weights. He tells me I am one of the strongest women he knows. About a year ago, maybe a little longer, random gym members started approaching me and telling me they can see me getting smaller and tighter, how great I look. I have big huge weightlifters cheering me on as I go for new squat or leg press records!!
  • Dean_IsStayinLean
    Dean_IsStayinLean Posts: 67 Member
    My routine: stretch first, 30-40 minutes on the elliptical, 30-40 minutes of weigh training alternating muscle groups each visit. Just do it. You'll learn a lot by watching others and find a groove that works for you.
  • Dean_IsStayinLean
    Dean_IsStayinLean Posts: 67 Member
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Your question is exactly what kept me from going to the gym sooner. Now I hate not going. Here are a few things that helped me get into the gym and a few lessons learned to keep going. Your mileage may vary.

Admit and accept that are fat and out of shape. That was my biggest challenge, I didn't want to admit that I was fat. I am not currently but I could be if I don't make an effort to stay in shape. Don't fear the word as things get easier when you don't lie to yourself.

Portion control is key. Know your calorie needs and cut them so you lose weight in the 1-2 lb/week range max. I am a hypocrite in this area because I went on a drastic calorie cutting program under the supervision of a doctor. Which leads to the next point.

Keep your diet in check. You can't out exercise a bad diet. I don't fully buy into clean eating but it can help if you change your eating habits to adjust to new and different foods.

See a doctor. My doctor was worried about other health problems due to my weight and cardio health so my weight loss happened faster but was monitored rigorously.
    Don't wait, go now. Even if you go use the bike for 30-45 minutes it allows you to see what is there and observe. Don't let indecision on what to do stop you from going and getting in some exercise.

Get comfortable with the fact that cardio will and must be part of your life. Endurance and overall cardio health are important and chances are near 100% that they suck right now. Build a cardio base, you will love it down the road. Cardio doesn't mean the dreadmill for 2 hours, it means training your heart by keeping it beating. Push hard on the bike, swim, elliptical, just keep adding to the resistance and time.

Strength train. Even if that is not your goal do it anyway. Just like cardio the rest of your body needs to be strong to stay active.

Hire a trainer but take responsibility for yourself. I couldn't justify a trainer for every trip to the gym so I hired a trainer for a program. I followed his/her workout and repeated that 3-4 times per week then hired them again for something more challenging.

Push yourself, don't fear the extra effort it will pay off. If the workout involves weights, increase them (dumbbells or barbells) each time you go or as often as you can.

Know your limitations and start small. In my case I should have started a real strength program sooner but it was not to be because my knees hurt and swelled up from body weight movement alone so squats and lunges with weights were out to begin with. My trainer had me do simple things like sit on a box and stand up for 15 reps. We increased difficulty as my knees allowed. Eventually I lost enough weight and strengthened the muscles to where the knees were feeling fine. That is when I should have started lifting.

Don't deprive yourself. If you need that Snickers, have one. Limit yourself and don't overdo it. Also, look for healthier alternatives; healthy but tasty protein bars, flavored water, hummus chips, popcorn. These substitutes can sometimes satisfy the craving while actually improving your food choices, win-win.

Be consistent. Set a routine and stick with it so it becomes part of your life.

Enjoy it. If the workout becomes boring and you struggle to keep doing it because of boredom, change it up. Try something different. As long as you are active and within your limitations (better yet, above your perceived limits) you are making progress.

Succeed and love the new you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    So I'm close to 300lbs, I'm only 5"5', so I'm a pretty large guy.

I've been cycling on a stationary bike for 30 minutes 3x a week, for a couple months, but recently due to moving, I've only been able to walk a mile or two during the day.

I'm starting a new job soon and they pay for a gym membership, so I was planning on going to the one 30 seconds from my office.

The problem I have, is that I don't know what to even do when I go there. Do I just cycle for 30 minutes, maybe use the rowing machine for 15 minutes... just a lost at what I would actually do there.
    Hire a trainer for a session or 2. If they are good, they'll help you put a plan together and assist you on performing exercises correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    As others have said. Have a plan prior to going in. Go check out bodybuilding.com and get on a beginners fat loss program. It will give you what workouts to do and will give video description on how to perform them if needed. I like to put my workouts on my notes on my iphone on then record the reps on it as I do them. If you go in with a plan and a scheduled workout, you don't waste time, and you will have structure to your workout. Get in, get out, log it, and succeed.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    I only joined a gym for the first time 4-5 weeks ago and it was terrifying! I felt so stupid walking in. Not a single clue about what to do. But I held my head up and walked up to the front desk and asked for a tour. The employees are friendly and helpful.

I joined the gym expressly to gain access to the barbell equipment for lifting Stronglifts 5x5. It's pretty intimidating though. I hired a trainer for 5 sessions and told the scheduler that I wanted to be assigned to one who would specifically help me with lifting and the barbell in particular. Make sure if you hire a trainer that you have a plan for what you want to hire them for. She was absolutely invaluable. My time with her is over but now I am doing Stronglifts on my own. She helped me clean up my form so much and learn the proper way to do the lifts from the program, and I recommend this wholeheartedly if you can afford it.

if you do circuits when you lift you can also keep your heart rate very high and be getting some cardio benefits in there too.

Big fan of lifting here, it is changing my body in amazing ways, and I'm a girl. As a dude you would eventually see even bigger changes when your body fat % goes down.