When shall I up my calories?

Options
hi everyone I have set MFP to lose 2 lbs a week on a 1200 calorie diet. So far I have lost 33 lbs. I'm 5ft 1" and 27 years old. I've been doing this diet now for 4 months and have 7 lbs more to go to get to a heathy bmi. Im now looking for some advice wether to keep to a 1200 cal diet or set MFP to lose 1 lb a week but will mean I will need to increase my calories.

Oh my current weight now is 139 lbs and started at 172 lbs

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    No time better than today!

Seriously, you're only 7lbs away from goal. You will still lose if you slowly up your calories. You don't want to get to maintenance and then jump from 1200 to maintenance. (or maybe you do!)

Personally, I'd set myself as 1.5 ppw for a few weeks, then change it to 1 ppw.. then .5....
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Looks like now! You only have a few pounds left to lose, so should be at a .5 lb a week deficit.

...but like the above said you can gradually add the calories.
  • kelzz27
    kelzz27 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks will change settings to 1.5 lbs then change it every few weeks or so :-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Definitely should be about .5 pound a week at this point.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would do 1.5 ppw now, 1ppw 7 days from now, then 0.5 ppw until you hit goal.
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Fat loss difficulty is going to increase, but keeping your calories that low is a surefire way to lose lean mass.

Agree with Vismal, should increase your calorie intake now to lose more slowly.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Since you have so little to lose, setting it at 1.5 or even 1 pound a week may still give you 1200 calories to eat. .5 a week may be best, just play around with the goals and see what it gives you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Definitely should be about .5 pound a week at this point.
    This.
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    I would increase it along with exercising 4 times a week for 30 minutes, including strength training. I up my calories from 1200 to 1600, lost more weight off midsection.