Do you exercise when you're sick??

Options
I'm coming down with a Sinus Infection (I know because I get them every few months T.T) and I'm debating whether or not I should go to the gym tomorrow....
It's already clogging up my nose to the point where I gotta breathe through my mouth but I know that heat makes the congestion go down temporarily so maybe exercising won't be as bad?

Idk I'm asking because I was having a debate with a friend (She's discouraging me from going but I'm telling her it won't affect me)...

Well anyways, do you guys exercise when you're sick or do you think it's wrong to?

Replies

• xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I do, as long as I'm not contagious, but I take it a lot easier then normal. I don't like getting too far off track.
  • ameford1977
    Options
    I usually do, unless I'm contagious or have horribly body aches. I read that exercise is good, even when sick. Good luck!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym to exercise, but if I did I wouldn't go while sick. I would do some sort of cardio instead, since I find the heavy breathing can really clear your head. Even a brisk walk can make my head feel a lot clearer. I don't know if it's at all related, but the past two times I felt like I was getting a cold, I went for a jog and went to bed early and I successfully fought it off both times.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Power walks outdoors and fresh air when I'm not sneezing badly or/and coughing up my lungs... I try to be nice and stay away from everybody, because I would hate to have weights thrown at me by people who need to stay healthy while prepping for a competition...

Get well soon!!
  • effondrement
    effondrement Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do, and did, in fact, today. I have a nasty respiratory infection and exercise is the only thing that really clears my head. Only do it if you are not contagious though, ie. check to make sure you do not have a fever and even if you don't, be sure to excessively wipe down machinery after your workout.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    As a former sinus infection poster child, do whatever you feel good doing. I finally got rid of chronic sinus infections by figuring out with the help of an ENT who was also an allergist that food sensitivites were causing acid reflux that was screwing up my sinuses.

If your doctor isn't familiar with the possibility of this link have him/her see http://www.entnet.org/content/gerd-and-lpr
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    It depends. I exercise when I have bad headaches or migraines. (Like this morning.) I would probably exercise at home if I had something contagious though just so I didn't infect the gym.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    If it's just a migraine,being sore, etc., I ignore it. If it's the flu, my husband and farm manager fill in for me.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have had colds I could exercise through and colds I couldn't. Take it easy and don't exercise if your symptoms are below your neck or are making it too hard to breathe.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's usually recommended if it's the neck up - do what you feel like. But usually that is not for people also stressing their body in a diet.

If it's from the neck down - rest.

The problem is if you are sick, body needs more energy to fight off or deal with the extra stress, exercise will add more to some extent, but it has some good benefits too. But being in a diet without taking in enough just adds another layer of stress on the body.
    But at least take a break from the diet until healed and give the body something to work with.

It's incredible how long someone can make what could have been a minor illness stretch out for weeks on end, sometimes catching new stuff since body is so weak.

Usually the body gets what it needs - because you'll just get something so bad you will be on your back for a week or more, finally able to recover, unless you back off food even more and keep stretching it out longer. Seen that too.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    If my nose is stuffy then of course I do. If I have the ****s not a chance I exercise. I don't want my bowls to explode all over the gym.
  • Go1096
    Go1096 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have tried both. The results were that I got over my illness when I exercised. I didn't go to the gym though. I did cardio at home or walked outdoors.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    NO