Get depressed a lot lately.

Options

Replies

• tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Don't have everyday but I eat 90% cocoa chocolate bars. I'm out right now but yes I eat chocolate, plus whey is chocolate and protein bars are "double chocolate ". And yes carb is high today was over 300. I also ate 680 calories over today.
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    Hello there,
    I appreciate the honest in your post. One thing i would suggest is just taking your time in working out. You just had an injury, let your body, emotions and mind get stable. Don't over do. I am confident that you will bounce back just fine. I would try and do something you enjoy. Since you are feeling a lil under the weather, don't put any extra unnecessary stress or strain on you emotionally or physically. Every thing will come together, just be patient.
  • tony56pr
    Options
    Thank you all again.
  • KRmurrish
    KRmurrish Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was over 200 pounds since I was about 16. Why after this long would it smack me around? It started with injury but even now healing great, great energy, abs, etc. I am more depressed than I've ever been, at best on par with teenage years.

I don't know, it doesn't make sense but I know it sometimes happens. People sometimes get depressed, even if they are doing everything "right". Diet and exercise help a lot with depression but since you are already doing these things maybe its more. Have you considered talking with someone? I know this is something a lot of people don't like to do, but counseling can be beneficial and help you sort through some feelings or why you feel that way. It wouldn't make you look weak. I think you would look stronger because you knew when you needed more help and sought it out. Sometimes we cant do things alone. That's a personal decision of course and only you will know if its needed or right for you. Good luck! Depression is a hard thing to deal with whether its a short bout or more long term.
    Here are a couple articles that might be helpful. You may already know all of this, but I read them recently and found them helpful.

http://www.thehackedmind.com/the-unbalanced-brain-part-1/

http://www.thehackedmind.com/the-unbalanced-brain-part-2/
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B-6 seems to help me with my problems with depression

This and magnesium! Depressions are not always caused by something missing in life, being bored, etc. It could well be you are lacking something in your diet! My husband was quite depressed as well. I gave him B-complex and magnesium. He is by far not as down anymore.

And healthy fats, like cod-liver oil. It contains next to omega 3 also vitamin D3.
  • johnn3y
    johnn3y Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When you were losing all that weight did you drop calories really low how was your fat intake?
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Google the lack of magnesium in adults. It is amazing how many things happen to us when we don't get enough of it and most people don't get enough magnesium in their daily diet. It is not found in multi vits, at least the ones I take.

The ones you need are chilated and 100% absorption. It helps with the absorption of vitamine D3 and calcium. Take a look on the internet at the effects of not enough magnesium. I think you will be amazed.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    When you were losing all that weight did you drop calories really low how was your fat intake?

He has a good point! Too many people still believe low fat is the way to go, fat is bad, fat makes you fat and ill, wrong! I see in your diary it's the lowest of the macros. The body needs fat to burn fat even and low fat can lead to serious depressions. Next to some supplements like magnesium and vitamin D3 try extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, real butter, fatty fish and like I said before cod-liver oil.

http://authoritynutrition.com/7-ways-the-low-fat-diet-destroys-your-health/
  • johnn3y
    johnn3y Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thanks! I made the mistake of doing a low fat diet years ago and I felt horrible I learned the hard way this was before I had any knowledge on nutrition, and it can permanently affect a males testosterone that's for someone going extremely low fat for a long period of time.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    When's the last time you got your anemia evaluated? Weakness, depression, listlessness can all be signs of increasing anemia issues. You may need something more substantial that a standard multi-vitamin, since they are not fully metabolized.

Secondly, I think you are experiencing a very common situation... That is, "I lost all this weight and thought I would feel better but I don't" syndrome. When we are substantially overweight, we generally have an underlying mental health issue that needs to be addressed, unless we have been proven to have a biological cause for the excessive weight gain. Many people neglect to take care of their mind, thinking that the weight is the cause of their inadequacy and depression feelings, but more often than not, it's actually a symptom of those problems.

If you are afraid or find it difficult to relax and rest your body despite major injury, it's time to find a therapist. It is not a healthy practice. If your doctor has cleared you for long range exercise, okay, but I would fathom to guess that your doctor would not be too keen knowing you are cycling for 20+miles only 7 weeks after a fracture, during the time you are still healing. YOUR BONES ARE STILL BROKEN. You cannot expect yourself to be 100% when you're literally still healing a fracture!!!

Internal stress like healing and swelling, pain, can contribute to your feelings of depression. You may not recognize pain, but weakness and instability are signs of a base level body reaction to injury. You are most definitely going to be weaker after an injury, and expecting more than gentle progress is a recipe for disaster. I would suggest doing something moderately active that isn't putting stress directly on your injured area, and asking your doctor about transitioning back into a workout routine. Get a physical therapist to help you, or a medically endorsed physical trainer.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    thanks! I made the mistake of doing a low fat diet years ago and I felt horrible I learned the hard way this was before I had any knowledge on nutrition, and it can permanently affect a males testosterone that's for someone going extremely low fat for a long period of time.

The same mistake I have made, hormones completely messed up and because of that I started to gain instead! And yet still many believe that is how a diet should be.
  • tony56pr
    Options
    Went in August 13th they drew my blood and checked it. Told me blood levels were good and to continue multi with iron and see me in a year.

First it has been months since I was eating trying to lose weight. (Close to 6 months ago) but I was eating 1950 calories, 50 grams of carbs or less, fat and protein were my diet. Now I eat 270g of carbs, 170g protein, and 80-100+ grams of fat. Some days I get more of one or two and less of the other. You can look at my diary it's open and see I'm not low fat. I eat nuts etc. For fats, low fat cottage cheese and yogurt is all I can find if I am short on fats I eat serving of nuts. I get at least 80g a day.

I was told after two weeks to start using arm. It was a stable fracture and it was better to move otherwise elbow could become frozen. I was told to start off real light and work up from there. I've been doing that arm is more functional now than it was even a week ago. I eat a lot, been maintaining for about a month so nutrition is good. I eat variety of things. I tried taking magnesium in the past and it made me feel horrible so I avoid it. And my multi has it in it so don't want extra like before and feel weak and tired.

I thank everyone for comments. For me to go would require to miss work, this would add stress and complications to my life, which would make me more depressed not to mention paying out more money that I don't have.
  • tony56pr
    Options
    Oh btw, woke in normal mood. Not feeling depressed (not manic either so not bipolar) I feel normal today. Everything is same in life so don't know.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why there's a justification around every suggestion, with the exception of my stating you should find a therapist. I stand by that statement. Episodic depression can be an indicator of manic depression. You do not have to have out of control mania episodes to be experiencing serotonin and dopamine swings.

If all things are the same and your doctor states you should be able to ride for 20 miles or more on your bike, then you have to do something you haven't already done if you are concerned about this issue. Being told to use your arm so it won't freeze is not the same as being told to lift weights. You also stated that you broke your neck riding. Cycling can have a certain amount of stress that it exerts on the cervical column because of the way you hold your head so unless you are sitting recumbent while doing these miles, I'd ask about it specifically.

The only person that can help you evaluate and identify your issue with depression, if it's depression at all, is going to be a mental health professional. If the episodes are increasing in frequency, you are experiencing episodic depression and thus, the best way to understand it is with therapy and journaling. When you experience a depressive episode, record what you've eaten, taken, what has happened that day, what exercise you've done, what sleep, what happened at work, anything you can remember. Tracking these patterns and then discussing with a psychologist will help guide you when finding the reason. If you're not willing to do this, that should tell you a lot about the actual severity of the problem. Unwillingness can mean one of three things, generally... Either the depression is so bad it feels hopeless (this would be self-harm and suicide territory), you are in denial of the problem, or it's not actually depression. Depression is not the same as feeling sad sometimes or feeling low key occasionally.

However, symptoms of anxiety and adrenaline sensitivity issues can mimic depression feelings like sinking chest sensation, feeling tired, headaches, feeling physically overwhelmed.
  • Momagon
    Momagon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this but dieting causes depression. Your body interprets dieting as starvation and fights back with both physical and emotional weaponry. I'm not telling you this to discourage you, but to counter all the denial out there about just how difficult it is to lose weight and keep it off. If we are going to be successful at winnng the battle, we have to be honest about all the pitfalls. Does that mean people should give up? Certainly not! But everyone has to decide for him or herself what they really want and need and know that depression may be part of the bargain. Perhaps knowing that losing weight often results in depression will help people cope with it better rather than believe there is something wrong with them for being depressed.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your amazing weight loss. Well done!

As for your depression, you may want to consult a doctor. People can develop clinical depression at any time in their lives. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason for it, just body chemistry. To me, this sounds like what you are describing. I'm not a doctor, so I can't say for sure, but I have had clinical depression since my early teens and am now almost 40 and know the symptoms. I have good days and bad days, but it's always a struggle. I don't take medications for it because I don't want to...went down that road in my 20s and teens. Anyway, I have symptoms similar to yours. I will be fine, but then sometimes, and at times rather suddenly, I will have a deep sadness and hopelessness come over me for really no reason. These episodes of depression are not just something I can "snap out of" like some claim. It's not just me feeling a little upset about something or feeling sorry for myself, it's depression which is a whole different ball game. Sometimes the clouds clear within a rather short amount of time, and sometimes they stick with me for days at a time. I lose energy and just want to sleep. Like I said, it's a struggle. But unfortunately, not much advice can be given to you here to help with it. No one person can tell you what to do because what helped them may not help you. I saw someone above say go for a trip and made it sound like they choose not to let it take over their life. That doesn't work for everyone. It's not always about making a choice when it comes to your body chemistry and clinical depression...if only it were that simple. You can try vitamin supplements like D3, that may help. Being as you've lost a lot of weight, I assume you eat a pretty well balanced diet, and it sounds like you exercise regularly. Those are things that have helped with my depression, but haven't completely alleviated it, so I think you are doing the right things. But if you are still having these bouts of sadness after doing all these things. I would see your doctor. Maybe have your blood levels checked to make sure you are not severely deficient in anything and go from there.

Good luck, and if you would like to chat more you can inbox me any time.

ETA: I just saw in your most recent post that you recently had blood work done. Sorry I missed that before I posted.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being so open about your depression. So many people, men especially, are afraid to admit these feelings.

The reality is that you need to talk to your doctor about your feelings, and possibly (probably) see a therapist. Not a psychiatrist, but a psychologist. When I was experiencing episodic depression, my doctor recommended a psychologist and together, they created a plan for me. They communicated about my medication and my sessions to achieve the best results. It was incredibly effective, and I did eventually feel better. The medication does not have to be high dose - they usually start you off with something low-dose.

And if you're worried about gaining weight from the meds, communicate with your doctor about your success in weight loss, and your fears of gaining. I did this, and my doctor was able to find a medication where weight gain was not a side effect.

Depression is a tricky disease, and it does NOT have a one-shoe-fits-all type of diagnosis. The best thing you can do for yourself is speak to your doctor - but also, come back here and keep us up to date - let us know how you are. And always, ALWAYS ask for help if you feel your depression/hopelessness worsen. You can call 1-800-273-TALK if you need to. The people who are there to listen are wonderful.
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    As someone who has struggled through depression and come out in a better place, I can empathize with what you're feeling. My depression hit hardest when I had the life I want - loving family, children, house, and a career I love. It made no sense. Unfortunately that's the way it works sometimes.

Some of the things I found helpful were already mentioned - carbs, chocolate, magnesium, sleep, B6. I also found that essential fatty acids can be helpful, like amy Omega-3-6-9 supplement. Iron is important as well, but it sounds like you've been taking care of that.

Hormones have the biggest impact on our emotions, and being that you lost so much weight, I would think that your weight loss has impacted how your body produces, distributes and reabsorbs hormones. If it's at all possible, I suggest talking to a doctor about your depression, which may be a symptom of your body recalibrating to it's new normal state. It may be temporary.

But if it isn't temporary, don't be afraid to step into the realm of counceling and/or medications. Personally, both have changed my life for the better. I am thankful everyday that I had the strength to get help and not give in to the hopelessness. You have already shown the strength to change your life by taking charge of your physical health - you have the strength to change your mental health too!

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If your feeling depressed with no reason you should see a doctor. Depression can be caused by imbalances in the body and stuff, you might want to take pills for it. I have the same issue, I get anxious and depressed and I honestly have no reason to be because I am happy with my life in general (not happy about my weight but that isnt the sole reason for depression/anxiety for me)
  • tony56pr
    Options
    First I have to apologize I have not paid attention to this thread in a while. Have to say thank you to everyone for all the comments they were very helpful. Weight loss caused back pain for about 10 months went to chiropractor about it, all he wanted to do was adjustments which cost me $. In the end, 2 months after I got my treatments, 8 visits, my back just stopped hurting. Later found out that this can happen as spine etc move into new location (normal) because of weight loss.

I did go to dr. And after discussing it with him and since I'm NOT suicidal it was his belief that this too was from transition , not only way body chemically does everything but my brain doesn't know how to process new imagine of its self. Anyways unless it gets worse I'm all good. And I'm doing good. I feel excited about next chapter in my life of adding on more muscle and strength.

Also want to clarify. I NEVER broke my neck, radial neck fracture is reference to radial bone in forearm close to elbow joint. Neck is thin spot on bone before ball that goes into socket.