Does this exercise burn 500 calories?

Options
Hey everyone, I'm a girl, 18, 137 pounds and 5'5. I know some of you might think I don't need to lose weight but I used to eat really bad and never exercise and I really want to change my lifestyle. Also I am quite chubby and have a lot of extra fat so I have started eating less and healthier and exercising more.

I'm kind of at the beginning of my weight loss journey and I've been doing this workout about 3-5 times a week for the past 4 weeks. I found it on http://www.shape.com/fitness/cardio/5-ways-burn-500-calories-30-minutes

It is the last one on that site and it goes: 100 jump ropes, 75 high knees, 50 bodyweight squats, 25 pushups, 150 jump ropes, 75 jumping jacks, 50 alternating forward lunges, 25 sit ups, 200 jump ropes, 75 butt kicks, 50 mountain climbers, 25 leg raises per side. It is meant to take 30 minutes for the whole thing, but I started out only being able to do half of it before feeling like I'm going to die coz I was really unfit, now I can do 2/3 in 20 minutes (up to the 25 sit ups). I know most of you aren't professionals or anything but I just wanted your opinions on whether or not you think it burns 500 calories. I've been kind of rounding it down to about 320 (about 215 for 2/3 of the workout) because I'd rather lose more than I think than less than I think.

But I think I may be underestimating it and I want to know what other people think about how many calories it burns for someone of my weight and height?

Thanks so much for any help :)

-Dan

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, losing weight is not the answer. If you are unhappy with the way you look, you'll need to drop body fat, while preserving your lean muscle. You do this by eating at or just under your maintenance calories, and lifting heavy weights at least three times a week. You should see excellent results in 8-12 weeks.
  • Dan18765
    Dan18765 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, losing weight is not the answer. If you are unhappy with the way you look, you'll need to drop body fat, while preserving your lean muscle. You do this by eating at or just under your maintenance calories, and lifting heavy weights at least three times a week. You should see excellent results in 8-12 weeks.

Thanks but that wasn't my question. I wanted to know if that workout burns 500 calories.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Thanks but that wasn't my question. I wanted to know if that workout burns 500 calories.

Most likely no.
    A HRM will give you an estimate as long as you keep up a steady heart rate.
    But I highly doubt this would come anywhere close to 500 calories.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories burned is based on the actual effort put in. If you sucessfully do that entire routine in 30mins you'd probably be between 350, and 500 burned.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

missingthepoint.png
  • Dan18765
    Options
    The amount of calories burned is based on the actual effort put in. If you sucessfully do that entire routine in 30mins you'd probably be between 350, and 500 burned.

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    But since you insist on a answer (to a question that won't give you the results that you think it will) the answer is no. No way in hell an exercise lasting only 30 min will burn 500 cals, unless you are extremely obese.

For me, it takes about an hour of HARD, *kitten*-hauling butt-kicking buckets-of-sweat working out to burn 500 calories. No way the workout you described will burn anything close to that.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'd do most of those things in an hour long aerobics class, except maybe the jump rope and mountain climbers, and for an aerobics class (40 mins jumping around, 20 mins weights and abs) I burn just over 300 calories, and I weigh more than you do.
  • Dan18765
    Options
    But since you insist on a answer (to a question that won't give you the results that you think it will) the answer is no. No way in hell an exercise lasting only 30 min will burn 500 cals, unless you are extremely obese.

For me, it takes about an hour of HARD, *kitten*-hauling butt-kicking buckets-of-sweat working out to burn 500 calories. No way the workout you described will burn anything close to that.

I didn't insist an answer I just said that's not what I asked for. No need to be rude about it and put a stupid picture. I don't pretend to be an expert about this I'm only new to it, and you treating me like I'm stupid isn't what I'm looking for thanks.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Doubt it, more like 250 or under. Hard to say though.

You aren't going to get the results you want from just doing cardio. You need to add resistance training to your workouts. If not, you'll just be a slightly smaller version of yourself. Lifting heavy using a barbell program is the fastest and my personal favorite way to go about it.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of vigorous calisthenics at your size will normally burn under 150 calories (MFP says 166, I think they are generally very generous). The only way to know for sure is get an HRM.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The word "sweetie" is very condescending. In fact, everything AllOutof_Bubb has said so far is condescending.

That being said, to answer your question, none of us can tell you what you want to hear.

It depends on your age, your sex, your weight and your effort put in. It takes me 45 minutes doing the elliptical, treadmill and stationary bike to hit 500 calories burned. It might take someone else 25 minutes to do the same burn and an hour for someone else.

Just because it takes AllOutof_Bubb an hour doesn't mean it should take you an hour. In fact, the more trim and lean you are, the HARDER it is to burn calories. So it's perfectly sensible that you would burn more than her doing the same routine.

I track my calories burned by using a Polar FT 4 heart rate monitor. It monitors my heart rate and my caloric burn so that I can more closely assess my intake each day. It's a good investment, plus a great motivator to see those calories burning.

Good luck!
  • Dan18765
    Options
    The word "sweetie" is very condescending. In fact, everything AllOutof_Bubb has said so far is condescending.

That being said, to answer your question, none of us can tell you what you want to hear.

It depends on your age, your sex, your weight and your effort put in. It takes me 45 minutes doing the elliptical, treadmill and stationary bike to hit 500 calories burned. It might take someone else 25 minutes to do the same burn and an hour for someone else.

Just because it takes AllOutof_Bubb an hour doesn't mean it should take you an hour. In fact, the more trim and lean you are, the HARDER it is to burn calories. So it's perfectly sensible that you would burn more than her doing the same routine.

I track my calories burned by using a Polar FT 4 heart rate monitor. It monitors my heart rate and my caloric burn so that I can more closely assess my intake each day. It's a good investment, plus a great motivator to see those calories burning.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for being so nice about it. And yes I hate when people say "sweetie" it is condescending. Thanks for your answer I didn't think it would be 500 calories lol :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm a girl, 18, 137 pounds and 5'5. I know some of you might think I don't need to lose weight but I used to eat really bad and never exercise and I really want to change my lifestyle. Also I am quite chubby and have a lot of extra fat so I have started eating less and healthier and exercising more.

I'm kind of at the beginning of my weight loss journey and I've been doing this workout about 3-5 times a week for the past 4 weeks. I found it on http://www.shape.com/fitness/cardio/5-ways-burn-500-calories-30-minutes

It is the last one on that site and it goes: 100 jump ropes, 75 high knees, 50 bodyweight squats, 25 pushups, 150 jump ropes, 75 jumping jacks, 50 alternating forward lunges, 25 sit ups, 200 jump ropes, 75 butt kicks, 50 mountain climbers, 25 leg raises per side. It is meant to take 30 minutes for the whole thing, but I started out only being able to do half of it before feeling like I'm going to die coz I was really unfit, now I can do 2/3 in 20 minutes (up to the 25 sit ups). I know most of you aren't professionals or anything but I just wanted your opinions on whether or not you think it burns 500 calories. I've been kind of rounding it down to about 320 (about 215 for 2/3 of the workout) because I'd rather lose more than I think than less than I think.

But I think I may be underestimating it and I want to know what other people think about how many calories it burns for someone of my weight and height?

Thanks so much for any help :)

-Dan

Sounds like vigorous calisthenics.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxjb21wZW5kaXVtb2ZwaHlzaWNhbGFjdGl2aXRpZXN8Z3g6MjgyY2EyMzQzNWFlN2Q3OA

8 METS. Or for purpose of eating back exercise calories, you'll want to leave out the resting metabolism calories, so 7 METS.

1 MET is resting metabolic burn per min.

To get that to calories - go get your BMR from MFP - Apps - BMR. (1400 about).
    BMR / 1440 = base metabolism burn per min. (0.972)

That figure x 7 x minutes done = calorie burn. (136 above and beyond resting burn)

Near 500? Not a chance at your light 10 lbs over-weight body.

MFP's database entry for that seems to be the old value up around 8.8.

There is no way they could know how much it burns for any person without clarifying with weight. So unless they do, they are going off some sample person that weighs so much.

And the HRM for this type of workout will be badly inflated and incorrect use of it's estimating of calorie burn by HR.
    That formula is only for steady-state aerobic, same HR for 2-4 min in the aerobic range. I'm betting your HR jumps all over the place with that workout, besides spiking in to the anaerobic zone, especially right now being unfit.
    The above database based on studies is more accurate right now if you are vigorous about it.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    No problem!

We've all been there. I might be just getting back on the wagon again but I've been where you are. :)
    Just get yourself a handy HRM and you'll be on your way to good logging!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

Good luck!

Get my name right, hun.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    Anyone is more than welcome to get offended at whatever tone they perceive me to speak with, but that doesn't stop my advice from being sound. #sorryimnotsorry
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

This.

I'm slightly overweight, not obese, and most 30 minute workouts with intense interval training and cardio will burn between 300 - 400 calories for me.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Everyone's so sensitive..........and nothing about her post was condescending. I read her post as an attempt to be helpful. Was her tact the best..........for some with a thinner skin, perhaps not.

I guess she should have just told her "yes" or "no" and moved on, providing no beneficial information to the OP at all.

Note to self: When responding to forum posts, don't attempt to be helpful by providing knowledge, and/or anecdotal or professional advice..........some people (like kmuree) might not appreciate it if it's not put forward in a Mr. Rogers-esque tone.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

missingthepoint.png

+1

+1000 :laugh: