Coping with reduction in kilojoules/calories

Options
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how many of you folks have opted for a slower more gradual weight loss as opposed to rapid weight loss. I have set my goals to lose 0.25 kg a week. I just can`t face having to reduce my kilojoules (calories) all in one go and I feel a little daunted at the prospect to be honest. I`m working on this, but I can see that I definitely need to stay on MFP permanently in order to stay with the program.

Replies

• melbmeg
    melbmeg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have done this. I have about 40lbs to lose and I am giving myself 1600 calories a day, which is higher than what MFP gives me because I cannot bear going any lower. (I don't exercise.) So far I'm still losing quickly, but it's only week 6 and I know it will soon slow down.

I don't know how people do 1200 calories. I go to bed pretty hungry almost every night on 1600 and I think I generally make ok choices. I make choices I can sustain, anyway!

I am in this for the long haul, and I'd rather do it slowly, with minimal suffering and in a way that teaches me pretty much how I need to eat for the rest of my life.

So, long story short, I think we each have to decide what we bear and what we will be able to sustain.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you have made a sensible approach - too many people go for a too large deficit when they start, can't keep it up, and give up. You can change the settings as you go, if you feel comfortable and confident. Most people get a lot more for their calories when the main part of their diet is whole foods close to their natural state. The more processed, the less satisfying, is the rule. But keep a few treats. It's all about balance and nothing is off limits. Calories in - calories out, is all that matters for weight loss.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The slow and steady route is fine, but my only warning is that when working with a teeny tiny deficit like that; you'd better weigh, measure and count calories religiously! You don't have room for error. I'm on 1200 and yeah. Some days it's torture. Other days I'm ok with only 700-800 calories. But, if I do forget to log something, or take a bite of this, or a taste of that, it won't affect my weight loss too much because I'm still running a huge deficit. You won't have that luxury. You need to be precise. Good luck!
  • nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a high calorie rate, and a slow weight loss. My doctor told me that I did not gain it in a month so do not expect to lose it in a month. So I have lost approximately 12KG in the last six months. And I am back to my weight from 6 years ago. I am hoping to lose more.

Losing weight quickly is really bad for your health. And if you want to lose the weight and keep it off, you are best losing it slowly. Because if you loser your calories by a small margin, then it will be easier to keep up with it.

I have noticed, I lowered mine by 500 Calories per day from my normal overweight diet. But I started swimming. I have found with losing only 500 Calories per day, allows me to keep my diet pretty close to the same as it was before. I just have to watch what I eat.

And using MFP I learned a great deal about the foods I was eating. Some foods I thought would be healthier than others was way higher in calories than expected. A prime example. I went to KFC on a road trip. Had the Filet Bites and cole slaw no fries. That was 1300 calories. I was like WOW. Then on the road trip went to McDonalds, Had two Hamburgers (not quarter pounder or Big Mac) and that was 500 calories and was more filling than the KFC.

I find my biggest issue is I love Eggs, Cheese and Fresh bread. So I have learned I need to spread it out. I can enjoy it all and keep my calorie goals up. So be patient. Log everything you eat. And you will find a combination that works for you.

And I wish you all the success in achieving our goals.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's a great place to start. For me personally, I set mine to 1 pound per week. I lost 50 pounds in a year and have now had it off for over 2.5 years!

I spent the first month or so focusing on sticking to my calorie goal before adding consistent exercise.
  • carryncoulson
    carryncoulson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies - I've been feeling a bit despondent the last 48 hours, but your comments have made me feel better now. I have lost 2kgs since I joined and lost centimetres to go with it. I completely agree with the weighing once a week, it definitely keeps me on track. I believe the motivation from others like yourselves along with the plan that is not exclusive of any foods at all ..... definitely gives me the confidence to feel that I`ll succeed in the long term. A happy day to you all :-)