How bad are eggs?

Options
eggs are my go to breakfast food, to get calories in protein to start my day, the problem is im kind of worried that i eat too many of them. maybe 4-6 days a week (give or take) ill have eggs, and ill eat 4-6 of them (seems like alot i know)

so anywhere from 16-36 a week (id have to say around 25 is the average) what i normally eat.

now ive lost 110 lbs this year since February, and this is a consistent thing, but ofcourse as i get thinner im worried about my heart health, etc. I dont wanna be thin then have all these issue so im wondering if maybe i should stop eating them and find something else or trim back a bit, or just keep pace. Any good insight is welcome

Replies

• lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Eggs are my go to breakfast also -- eat at least 6x week and 2-3 each time.. I've never felt healthier and my yearly test results are good (normal/healthy) -- probably more than most 50 year olds can say.
    I think (not a doctor so just IMO) your heart health has more to do w/regular aerobic exercise than the amount of eggs you eat.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Eggs are not bad, but if you are eating up to 36 per week you should work out how much cholesterol that is and then look at how much cholesterol you are aiming to stay under per week.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Why would eggs be bad for you? I'm under the impression that the whole cholesterol thing is nonsense from the past now.
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    Options
    Eggs are not bad, but if you are eating up to 36 per week you should work out how much cholesterol that is and then look at how much cholesterol you are aiming to stay under per week.

Well, I go through at least a dozen eggs per week, probably close to a dozen and a half. But I have a deal around here where I get fantastic pasture raised eggs for $2.50 a dozen. The yolks are deep orange (the darker the yoik, the more nutrient dense). Damn.

I eat eggs not in spite of my health goals, but to maintain my heart health.

Absolute cholesterol levels in the body are not what is important. And dietary cholesterol does not have deleterious effects on body cholesterol. First of all, it is too small in amount compared to body cholesterol levels. And our body creates the different kinds of cholesterol in the body based on response to interactions of genes and diet. There are other factors too of course, but let's just stick to those two main ones.

You want as high an HDL as possible and low Triglycerides. Even LDL level does not tell the whole story. Small dense LDL particles are bad - they accumulate in atherosclerotic plaque. Large buoyant LDL particles are harmless, esp if your inflammation levels are low (low glycemic, no insulin spikes).

What actually does increase the main bad components of cholesterol (Triglycerides, VLDL and small dense LDL) are grains. Excessive sugar will also increase VLDL.

What actually increases HDL (good cholesterol) is saturated fat. It also increases large buoyant LDL, thus your overall LDL, but because the large buoyant LDL is harmless, so is your increase in LDL.

So "people" will often tell you to have a good cholesterol profile, eat that lean piece of toast and skip the eggs, when in actual fact, you should be eating the eggs (esp if they are pastured!) and skipping the toast.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs every morning...usually 2.5 (I know sounds weird) but I make scrambled or egg fritatas....nothing wrong with that.

I will have eggs at lunch too, egg salad sandwich...2 in that so on average I eat about 14-15 eggs a week...my heart is fine.

getting blood work done soon (again) just to double check.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs nearly every day. I had my cholesterol checked a few days ago and it was 156. Just fine.

Unless you have problems with cholesterol due to heredity or other health issues, eggs shouldn't be a problem.
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    How are you going with constipation with that many eggs ? It plays hell with me and I'd be lucky to eat half as many as you
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    God made the eggs,,,,,,,,,,so there.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options

Well, yes - but God also made marijuana plants - not sure that means we should all get stoned every day :tongue:
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I eat two scrambled eggs for my breakfast...Been doing it for over two years...12 a week :) I have lost 70 lbs. I don't think they are bad.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't even want to know why you would ask if an egg would be bad. Eggs are wonderful protein!
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Eggs are bad full stop. The smell of them cooking, the texture of them raw. Everything about them is Bad. *gags*

Oh you mean health wise... :)
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Have you had blood work recently? Other than if you have high cholesterol eggs should not be a problem. Had two for breakfast this morning. I am not a big egg eater and I am starting to wonder why? I love eggs.
  • msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i started eating 4 eggs every morning about 7 weeks ago. they are nutritious and keep me satiated well into the afternoon. love em.

my cholesterol has dropped from 6.8 to 4.6. My LDL & Trigs have also fallen by about 25%.

don't know if it's the diet i am on or the supplements i am taking but the extra fat/cholesterol isn't adversely affecting my numbers. btw, i also consume around a pound of butter a week during this period.

my cardiologist is pleased. i am ecstatic. keep eating them eggs. just keep an eye on your blood numbers.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Eggs are so bad, they are good, in everyway. Eat all the eggs.
  • notyalc66
    notyalc66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    eggs are awesome!!!
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

God also made Hemlock.
  • vecoriwen
    Options
    If you are worried about cholesterol/fat intake you can always eliminate a few yolks. I usually have 3 egg whites in the morning in an omelet and cook up the yolks for my dog. It's 16 cal, 3.6g protein, 0.1g fat per egg white.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Eggs are Excellent