How much water?

Options
I recently had a friend tell me that her cardiologist told her that 32oz of water a day is more than enough, but I have read that half of my body weight is the amount of ounces I should be drinking in order to be properly hydrated. (I weigh 144lbs so daily I should be drinking 72 ounces of water) Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Replies

• sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    General consensus is 8 cups of water a day. I really don't think there's any such thing as "too much water" (except when taken in too short of an amount of time ie: minutes, rather than over the span of a day). I'm currently working on upping my daily water intake from 8 cups to 10-12 cups. My body will just get rid of whatever it doesn't need to rehydrate me.
  • Yzfdude1
    Yzfdude1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd have to disagree with the cardiologist. I live in a desert at high elevation, 32 oz wouldn't even replace what I lose from breathing let alone any workout.

I typically drink a liter of water for every hour I exercise, I try to drink it at regular intervals during training. One of the best suggestions I've ever tried was to drink a full glass of water right when I wake up. I found out that I no longer had bad cravings for breakfast and could eat a more balanced meal.

I found this article interesting.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/hydration/a/aa053001a.htm
  • stupot73
    stupot73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to say that, yes, you can indeed have too much water. There are a number of people that have died as a result of drinking too much water, often in hot conditions.

I seem to recall that 'straight' water, i.e. that which is not isotonic or have the right salts in, can dilute the salts in the body cand cause problems, and I also recall that the reserach that suggests you have "8" glasses of water is very dated,

This web site is unfortunatley a prime example, suggesting "8" glasses of water a day, notice how it doesn't quote hom much water each glass should contain.

There is a useful article here:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to say that, yes, you can indeed have too much water. There are a number of people that have died as a result of drinking too much water, often in hot conditions.

I just wanted to second this. I've heard the same - too MUCH water is just as bad as too little - it dilutes your electrolytes or something or other. At any rate, it's not good. What the "proper" amount of water is though - I'm not sure! :frown:
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    I also agree that there is such a thing as "too much water". There is only so much water your body needs to keep you hydrated, flush out all the toxins and all the other good things that it does...

The rest just puts a big strain on your kidneys that has to filter everything that you ingest.

And as a previous poster said, there have been cases of people dying from drinking too much water...even during exercise.

The answer, I think, but I'm no expert, is to drink regularly throughout the day (I've been told that you should take small sips of water rather than big gulps) and drink enough that your pee is a light color. Obviously you need to drink more in hot weather, when exercising etc. I don't think there's a magic number, but you can find the right balance for you.
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    3Litres a day if you're working out, thats what my PT and natropath have told me !
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    From chemistry.about.com:

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

Under normal conditions we need between 2.5 and 3 litres of water per day. You get this from the water your drink, plus the foods you eat.

For most people 8 × 250ml glasses (1 cup) will be sufficient. If it’s hot or you’re exercising, you will need more.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    there is a very easy way to tell if you are properly hydrated watch the pee. if it runs clear, or just a pale yellow your drinking plenty. if its a dark yellow you need more, if your going to the toilet more than about 4 times a day your drinking to much its as simple as that. the actual amount doesn't really matter.

oh here is a little piece of information for you a couple of years back a person died drown in fact drake somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 gallons of water over 2 hours.
  • stupot73
    Options
    I agree.

Yellow pee = drink more.
    Clear pee = you should be okay.
  • stupot73
    Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6263029.stm

This one includes a list of people that may have died as a result of drinking too much water, see Notable Cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you everybody!!
  • sarakaufman
    sarakaufman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in WW and I had to ask her about this cuz there always saying drink water 8 glasses. But I get sick of just water so she told me that Coffee, milk, tea, and 100 percent juice counts as your daily 8 glasses of liquid. But water is the best for there is no calories in it. I love coffee so in the morning I have my 2 cups and then the rest of the day is water for me. And like some said if your pee is yellow drink up. If its clear your fine.
  • rachelc96
    Options
    At least drink 64 oz. of water a day. But if your looking to lose water weight, I'd bump it up to 80 oz. for a couple of days.