Question for the ladies on Mirena

Options
Did you gain weight after getting the Mirena? I know it's one of the side effects and I'm terrified of gaining weight while on this. Please tell me if you did or did not. THanks!

Replies

• Nessarose1
    Nessarose1 Posts: 1,324
    Options
    When I started here I was on the depo shot. I switched to the mirena and I haven't really noticed a change. I don't think it's the actual birth control that makes you gain- I think it's mental. I have been on the Mirena since June '10 and I've still lost weight. It's not impossible.

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've never taken Mirena, but I have about 6 friends/current moms that do and they had no problems with that. The only BC method I had bad weight luck with, and I think alot of others did too, was the Depo shot. Most other forms may lead to a 5-8 lb increase at most so I think you're good to go :smile:
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I didn't. And I LOVE the Mirena. LOVE IT. I've had it for two years. Light, light, light periods, very little cramps, and it's nice not to have to worry about BC. Still get PMS and all the cravings though. As for weight gain, I didn't notice any. You might gain a little, but I've never heard of anyone gaining a ton of weight on it.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has a mirena and she hasn't gained weight. In fact thanks in part to MFP she has lost it! But if you are worried about the hormones I have a plain copper IUD (no hormones) and have had no problems with it what so ever.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i had it for 18 months and gained like 20lbs. I cant say that the mirena or my lack of excercise is what caused though. I had it removed and was put back on the pill and the weight started coming off. I just diod not like the idea of not having a period each month. Seemed un-natural....
  • kelseyshort
    Options
    I have the ParaGuard and i gained weight on it. I'm not quite sure if it's the positioning or if it's mental. Everyone that I have met that has been on the Mirena or the Paraguard have gained weight, but don't be worried. You just have to work extra hard to get the weight off and keep it off!
  • Coramae09
    Coramae09 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i had the mirena and i lost 40lbs with it. The problem that i had was that when i lost all the weight the mirena shifted and was very painful for me and ecspecially for him! so i had to get it removed...my dr offered to put another one in but i was afraid that would happen again since i wasnt done trying to lose weight.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have had it for close to 2 years now and haven't had issue with weight gain.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I have the mirena, I have had about 3 of them, the 1st one was a 1year one about 11 years ago. I haven't had any weight issues because of it.

My doctor told me it releases in 1 year the amount of hormones you body naturally produces in a day. I love it. After having my second child I could not find a pill that worked in my system, so my dr suggested it and I would recommend it to anyone it is great.
  • loseit4ever
    loseit4ever Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have had it twice now and haven't noticed weight gain with it either time. I love it! I immediately stopped having periods and just since picking up exercise and diet had one light, light one. It's great! It's one of the only reasons I didn't have my tubes tied after my third baby.
  • erh2278
    erh2278 Posts: 19
    Options
    I can't say for sure that my weight gain was due to the mirena. I had my son and 2 months later got my first mirena. I was 225 when I had my son and got down to 170 but I ate good and exercised moderately. I then hurt my back and my exercise capability became limited which I believe is the factor for my weight gain.

I would say as long as you are keeping in mind that this is side effect, eat right and exercise you will have no problems. I absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone!!!
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have had the mirena over 2 years and have put on 10lbs. Its not something I would say was caused by Mirena though. Its caused by my love of food.

Before the Mirena I was on the pill for 1 month and the weight I put on was incredible. Never known I could gain so fast. Pill affected me badly in so many ways including migraines. Mirena has been the opposite. It was painful for the first few weeks but now its wonderful.
  • corina19
    Options
    i had it for about a 1 1/2 year. and i gained 40 lbs.. i have at least 1 1/2 year with out it and bearly my system is getting back to normal and the weight is bearly coming off... i tried losing while on it and i could not lose a pound.....

BUT for every one its differnt. i gained weight and my sister got bad pimples all over her face and chest an back...

for me i would never ever use it again just for the fact of the weight and regulating my system back to normal..:sad: .
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have gained weight since I have been on Mirena, but I have been on it 8 years and have gained 20 lbs, but it had nothing to do with the Mirena and everything to do with my eating.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I think everybody reacts differently. I just had mine removed yesterday, HAPPY DAY! I've been looking online at other womens experience and found that as far as weight some have gained, but most didn't gain but found it hard to lose. I'm hoping it'll be easier for me to reach my goal now that it's gone. I hope it works for you!
  • nay33
    nay33 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    TayJoMama, I am and have been on Mirena for about 3 years now. However I cannot say that I have gained weight due to it because I have been the same size since I had my daughter 10 years ago. I have tried the pill, the shot and now Mirena. Out of all three I really like Mirena better because I was always forgetting to take the pill and I hate shots, so this seemed like the best option for me.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    TayJoMama, I am and have been on Mirena for about 3 years now. However I cannot say that I have gained weight due to it because I have been the same size since I had my daughter 10 years ago. I have tried the pill, the shot and now Mirena. Out of all three I really like Mirena better because I was always forgetting to take the pill and I hate shots, so this seemed like the best option for me.
    I hear ya, If I had to take a B/C pill everyday I would forget as well. Like I said every women needs to find what works for them.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have had it 4.5 years, but I quit smoking shortly after getting it and associate my weight gain with eating a cookie instead of smoking a cigarette.