S.B.F. Challenge. . .August 29th. . .

Options
Hi ladies!

Alright, so here's what I decided to do nutrition wise. I reduced my "activity level", switched to maintenance and lowered the amount I'm "declaring" for bikram burn. (it's the one thing I don't wear my HRM for. . .and it's my favorite thing). Also, I switched my "ratios" back to 40 % carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.

I'm also going to pick my gyno's brain when I go to him as to why I'm struggling. I may have to face the fact that my body is happy now, and I look good. I'm not quite as lean as I want to be, and I would like to be a teeny bit smaller, but maybe a woman of a certain age should not be pushing to be smaller than she was in her youth. (which was my only "small" time)

This is turning into a little frustration support group for me. I'm just wondering if we're exercising so much that it's driving us to overeat. (sacrilege!) I can easily get all my nutrition needs at 2000 a day, and going over that on some days feels like force-feeding. I'm really getting a little more into the "listening to my body" camp. *sigh*

Anyways. . .

today is bikram, water, vits and stopping feeling sorry for myself. I have a functional body, and compared to four years ago that is a miracle! So there.:tongue::flowerforyou:

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

Alright, so here's what I decided to do nutrition wise. I reduced my "activity level", switched to maintenance and lowered the amount I'm "declaring" for bikram burn. (it's the one thing I don't wear my HRM for. . .and it's my favorite thing). Also, I switched my "ratios" back to 40 % carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.

I'm also going to pick my gyno's brain when I go to him as to why I'm struggling. I may have to face the fact that my body is happy now, and I look good. I'm not quite as lean as I want to be, and I would like to be a teeny bit smaller, but maybe a woman of a certain age should not be pushing to be smaller than she was in her youth. (which was my only "small" time)

This is turning into a little frustration support group for me. I'm just wondering if we're exercising so much that it's driving us to overeat. (sacrilege!) I can easily get all my nutrition needs at 2000 a day, and going over that on some days feels like force-feeding. I'm really getting a little more into the "listening to my body" camp. *sigh*

Anyways. . .

today is bikram, water, vits and stopping feeling sorry for myself. I have a functional body, and compared to four years ago that is a miracle! So there.:tongue::flowerforyou:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I hope it all works our for you vivia! Why do you change your carbs, protein and fat? Does that really make a difference? Should I be looking at that? haha

Yesterday I ended up burning 700cals. I had a little steak my parents cooked up last night *sigh* It was good though! Well worth it!

Today if the weather holds out I am going for a walk with my grandpa and kids. Should be about an hour, hour and a half. dunno how much of a work out it will be since Grandpa cant go too fast, but hes a really fit guy. I plan on going cross country skiiing with him once a week in the winter!! I really hope it will happen!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Today is a lazy day at work. My boss is off for the day so I'm just sitting in the office playing on the computer...not that I don't do that everyday. :laugh: Tonight is KenpoX and if I'm feeling up to it, more cardio but I think an hour will be enough, unless my snacking continues the way it does. I hate you mini pringles and flip side crackers!!! :tongue:

I have a lot of house cleaning to get done and if it stops raining I can mow the lawn...as I only did half of it like 3 weeks ago. :bigsmile: I'm just ready to go home and open up windows to let the cool rainy wind blow through the house. Get my workout done and then crank some music and clean away! Just in one of those moods today.

Hope everyone is having a good day! :flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Yeah, hate to admit it, but this is more of a support group for me than something that helps me exercise. If anything, I need to cut back. It so against my brain though. People that exercise a lot are skinny. There's just no getting around that. However, of the people I know, about 1/3 are skinny, 1/3 are slightly overweight, and the other 1/3 are rounded. I know people who exercise and who don't in each category. So it's hard to tell.

I just had a mini epiphany. All of my family, are slightly overweight (or swing between categories - except my little sister, she's perfect, but she's still in her 20s) and are chronic exercisers. :huh:

Yesterday was my elliptical/walk/jog experience. Today, I might do a video. Now that I added 250 calories a day, I might cut back on the exercise a bit.

You guys are the best!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    This is a great support group, even if that's not what it is suppose to be. It seems like we all need the support right now.
    Vivia and Mary, let's hope changing things up a bit will help us get back to losing!
    Carrie, way to go burning 700 cals yesterday!
    Rach, oh if only it was cool enough to open windows here! How I long for the days!

Okay I upped my calories to 1350 from 1200 to see if that will help. Not sure what difference that is really going to make, but we'll see.
    I did 80 plank push ups today! Whew! I almost didn't make it. They weren't consecutive yet, but they will be one of these days!
    Other goals: DRINK MY WATER! I haven't done that the last couple of days.
    I am also adding green tea to see if that will help.
    Shred level 2? at least level 1. I might wait till next week to start 2.
    And clean up the house. We have a prayer meeting at our house tomorrow night and I have slacked off on cleaning this week since my focus has been on working out more. If I feel fiesty I might do CardioMax too.
    Alright here's to a good day! :drinker: (water of course)
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, peeps!

I'm off to the gym...happy to be home!

I didn't work out yesterday despite the best-laid plans, so I'm going to hit it hard today.

Other goals:
    ~ Drink my water
    ~ Take my vitamins
    ~ Log my calories
    ~ Bring a little workout notebook to the gym -- I'm trying to get more centered about my strength training instead of just doing what I feel like when I get there

Also thinking about a yoga tune-up tonight.

Have a great Friday!
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    Good Afternoon ladies:flowerforyou: Crazy busy day here. I did my Turbo Jam and then a couple of hours of school clothes shopping. While we were out, my daughter-in-law called to say that her "water is leaking" so she is off to the hospital hopefully to be in active labor soon. I'm on my way to the hospital to entertain my grandson while she is laboring. This is my first granddaughter so I'm really pumped! Tune in tomorrow for more of a detailed update than you probably care to read!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I'm new. What does S.B.F. mean?

Humor me.........:glasses:

Oh - 40/30/30 works best for me, especially at the "lose those last ten pounds" point, when exercising regularly.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    2 hours of blackberry picking today, started my 1 hour a day walking before bus driving. Hi Cheryl,how you doing? I don't remember what SBF stands for anymore.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    S.B.F. = Stronger Better Faster!

Julie that is AWESOME!!! Congrats on your granddaughter to be!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I did my Kenpo tonight, but I didn't make it the whole way through. I stopped early cuz I started throwing up. This is happening a lot this month. I think it may be because of the birth control the doc just started me on. I forgot to take one at the right time yesterday and took it like 8hrs late and then took my one for today at normal time....too much hormone in my body maybe? All I know is I still feel yucky. :sick:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I did my Kenpo tonight, but I didn't make it the whole way through. I stopped early cuz I started throwing up. This is happening a lot this month. I think it may be because of the birth control the doc just started me on. I forgot to take one at the right time yesterday and took it like 8hrs late and then took my one for today at normal time....too much hormone in my body maybe? All I know is I still feel yucky. :sick:

I would def. talk to your doc about that. That's a pretty severe side effect to be living with. There's lots of options, there's sure to be one that doesn't make you hurl. hurling=bad.:sick:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Rach, I agree with Viv - that doesn't sound like an OK side effect to birth control.

Mary - My first big plateau was resolved by eating more and exercising less. I had overdone it and injured my knee, so for a couple weeks I didn't do anything except walking. So I think you might have the right idea with cutting back a little bit on exercise and eating a bit more. At least until you get in to see your doc on the 17th (my anniversary!). Ultimately, though, the most important thing is your health. If you treat yourself well and can use your body to do whatever you want to do, then you are doing great!

Viv - I still think you are doing great and a huge inspiration. Ditto what I said for Mary - it's really about your health in the long run. And it sounds like you have made an AMAZING turnaround in that department over the past few years. Go you! :flowerforyou:

MM - What else do you do when you feel feisty? :devil: :laugh:

OK, as for me... well, work was crazy stressful and I will be doing a fair amount of work over the weekend as well. I missed lunch and ended up having a Clif Kid bar on my way out to the car, and a couple of diet sodas and Kashi TLC cookie when I got home. I wasn't even eating because I was hungry - just super stressed. It could be worse, but it really isn't the 'real food' that I should be aiming for. And no exercise today. :frown: But tomorrow will be better!

You guys rock. :heart:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    My walk with my grandpa burned more cals than I thought!! 600 in an hour! thats not too bad if you ask me!! Granted it was almost all up hill and I was pushing both of my kids which was over 60lbs not including the buggy thing! I hope to visit him more often, hes only 64 but I dont visit with him much and hes alone most of the time. He was really happy to see me. This winter I hope to go visit him once a week and either snow shoe or cross country ski! I LOVE THEM BOTH! Then I can visit and get fit at the same time! :bigsmile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    2 hours of blackberry picking today, started my 1 hour a day walking before bus driving. Hi Cheryl,how you doing? I don't remember what SBF stands for anymore.

Hi, Karen! I'm doing great, and you? I hope all is well with you - school bus season comin' at ya!!
    I had to get back in the routine before fall and winter threaten to make me a couch potato. My exercise lately has been sporadic. I have an elbow ow-ie, which you wouldn't think is such a big deal, but it's funny how many excuses I come up with to not work out.

So Stronger-Better-Faster. Must be a thread to give positive reports on activity, huh? Or GRANDDAUGHTERS!!!!! Congrats Julie!

Cheryl :glasses: