WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,934 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to post this for you to smile at today:

On the occasion of World Smile Day—here’s a video to put a smile on your face. Two words—dancing nuns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTEjV276078

Rita from CT
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Fall has definitely set in. We don't have the wonderful colors yet but the temperature is fall like. Maybe we will have those wonderful colors on our way down to Florida!!!!! maybe that will take away from the very noisy child right behind me:laugh: :love: President Oboma is in town today. He is celebrating manufacturing day, didn't even know there was a day like that. We have a manufacturing plant that is built by and I suppose is run by minorities. So he is speaking there. although I am not a Democrat it is nice that a President of the US chose our area to come and speak. It throws a wrench in the works as far as using one of our main highways though. Two days ago it showed the huge transport plane arriving at out airport that carried all the vehicles, including what they call 'the beast' which is the car the president rides in.

Patty, in the senior aqua group I was in at the Y the young lady would jump n and out of the pool all the time during the class. She would jump out and show us our move and then in to do it with us and to help people who were having problems. I go to a Southern Baptist church and we have district offices or what we call associational offices. So I called the office, told them what kind of church I was wanting and she gave me a list of 6 churches. A lot of churches have 'small groups' that meets some time during the week for study and fellowship. That might be something to take the place of those weeks that you can't attend.

I sure hope Melodies skin condition doesn't take a back track while we are gone. It is very difficult to give her medicine, you have to take her food away for two hours before and after she gets her dose. She knows and trusts my youngest daughter and me to give it to her. So we will just have to not give it. I was able to stop it for about 6 months when her allergy seemed to let up and she no longer lost her hair. I really don't this is an allergy since I don't see her scratching or anything. She just gets this little crusty place and then starts the hair loss back by her hind legs and progressive from there. Vet says it si an environmental allergy but it would cost a LOT of money to find out what she is allergic to and the doctor who does that comes to Evansville once a month and charges a lot of money.

Next week is every dieters nightmare. Our annual Fall Festival:sad: It is the second largest street festival, Mardi Gras is the first, in the US. Block after block of food booths, most of them deep fried. We are a community of German heritage and like our food. Every gastronomers delight. The parking is atrocious. The police allow you to ignore any parking rule. so sometimes you have to walk blocks to find a parking place that you have to squeeze into and never know if you have your bumper hit when you get back to it. There are many parking lots that organizations have and you pay up to $10. There is one small handicap lot which is free. We usually go and Charlie gets so upset with the parking situation that we end up going home and give each other the silent treatment the rest of the evening. Before we got our latest car we had an older car which we drove but it isn't easy to park either a 7 passenger extended length minivan or an SUV. It was always a favorite of our girls when they were growing up. Our son in law has gone one time when they were dating and he is excited to go again. Our grand kids have never been. So we leave on the 12th to go to Florida so the kids will drive up on Friday after work and then all go to the Festival on Saturday.Sadly, well I don't know if it is sadly or a victory for me, I will not be going. Two days of driving 600 miles, 4 days at the beach, means I need to conserve energy somewhere. So I will not go to the Festival.

Tomorrow is a fund raiser for one of the local animal adoption agencies. They find fosters for animals in the animal control, that gets them into a vet so they are checked out and all vaccines, spaying, vaccinations and anything else they need are taken care of. Then when they are socially and medically OK to adopt the animals are taken to adoption events. So it is a one mile walk plus a picnic with chili and hot dogs. It's one of the biggest fund raisers, tickets almost $30 but it will be fun to go with my daughter and her big goofy boxer.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!:flowerforyou:

Cindy - I have been there with the knee. Isn't it just sooooo annoying! :ohwell: i guess every one has a different cause. Mine is surviving all this walking very well, but I have been doing lots of exercises to strengthen it for over six months. I am so pleased that I can walk around this city. A couple of years ago every bit of me would be at breaking point by now. My back would have seized up, my knee would have swelled up amd my ankles and feet would have been in agony. Right now I am tired and a bit achy, but my progress is remarkable.

This morning's boat trip was very interesting, though the guide was a little too full of himself! :tongue: I love to see the back end of cities, the working quarters, and seeing it from a boat is great. Fabulous weather!
    This afternoon we walked over Brooklyn Bridge and had a cup of English tea!:laugh: Came back by subway. We seem to have mastered the buses and the subway now.:bigsmile: A lot of walking - over 2 hours at a fast pace. And we will go out tonight so will clock up a few more minutes.:bigsmile: I like to "earn" my food.:wink:

It's going to be raining tomorrow so I expect we will visit a musem. American Art? I still haven't done all the "villages" or the Financial District. Could do Little Italy and Chinatown tonight maybe. Want to do SoHo before we leave. Harlem too. Running out of time.:sad:

Speak soon. DH is snoring on the bed. It is 5.45 in the evening.:laugh:

Heather on the island of Manhattan.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday here and got up ready to exercise. Was going to do a Jeannette DVD "Bikini Boot-camp and Tabata and walk the dog. Then went on FaceBook and a friend's son and girlfriend want to visit. Sooo jumped in shower and dress, did the cleaning.
    At least house is clean now although NO exercise. Ah well!
    I am tolerating the Duramine and keeping within my cals and trying to get protein levels up, fibre was fine yesterday. BUT scales have stayed the same for 4 days. I am going to shoot those darned scales. Argh!. I have to weigh each morning and feel like chucking them out. Will see what tape says on Monday.
    My knees played up for first 3 days I was on Duramine and only walking but seem OK now again
    YES I did tell my doctor that I did NOT refer Maria and she was doctor shopping
    OK best go
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Got a decongestant massage today to help with the sarcoidosis flare. Very interesting, will see if it makes a difference. I am on my last day of antibiotics and cough is much less, no wheezing but still out of breath after climbing stairs, etc.

Heather - Happy birthday! Glad you are enjoying the city.

Deb in Melbourne - Good for you fixing your own washing machine. I am not sure I would tackle that.

Lesley - Sounds like you are getting lots of good help. So glad it is working for you and you can do things you love again.

MNMargaret - Congrats on the gas card!! That is a nice prize.

Katla - We are looking at property north of Seattle in the Snohomish area. My DD has been sending me postings by e-mail that she thinks may have potential. I look at the pictures and think OMG this may really happen!!! I am headed west next Friday. Will fly into Seattle where DD will pick me up and we will drive to Portland for a sarcoidosis conference at OHSU. She has also been diagnosed with sarcoidosis which quite unusual as it does not run in families and to have two people in one family diagnosed is rather against the odds. On Sunday after the conference we are back in the Seattle area to look at property. On Monday will spend time with DS and family then fly home on Tuesday. The whole thought of picking up and moving that far, having to find new doctors, etc. makes me anxious but could be enormous fun too.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in very windy SD
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sue, How exciting that you might be moving to the Seattle area.....we have lived in the northwest for a long time---in NW Washington for almost 10 years.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Line dance class today was great fun...later Jake and I went to an estate sale and then got our flu shots.

:brokenheart: :bigsmile: New computer won't be set up for two weeks so I'll continue to share and grow spiritually.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

:bigsmile: 22,000 steps today and an hour on the exercise bike
    569147nmlfkdnzlz.gif
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi gals! I can't find my last post from yesterday! I had a nice message written here and lost that too. I guess I have the "losts" today! So I'll just be brief and wish you all the best. Food has not been good today; I'm not sure what is wrong with me! I did get good news at the dr today; I can cut my metformin (diabetes med) down to 1 a day instead of 2.

Well I'm heading to bed. I'm freezing. Tomorrow will be a very busy day and I'm not sure how I'm going to get everything done, but I'll try. Eating will be better too! Just sort of grazing, which is really really unusual for me! Take care, Meg from chilly Omaha or is it just me
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a bosu workout DVD. Tomorrow's plan is to do Jari Love's Revved to the Max DVD.

Jeannie - I so agree with everything Jolene said to you. Like her, just get right back on the bandwagon and you'll be fine.

Patty - I would think that instructing from the deck and also in the pool would be best. Sometimes there are things that are really hard to do in the water and you'd never know it if you're on land. Things that you need to modify. By the same token, it's also good to have the instructor in the water, closer to the participants. Guess you just need to go with their policy. Yea for your daughter!

Heather - your dinner sounds absolutely wonderful! I always say I'm as old as I feel and I feel 39 (up from 29)

Rita - I hate insurance companies, too. They are so sllloooowwww and incompetitent. Hope you feel better fast

grammarn - welcome! Good luck with your surgery

Rita - thanks for the smile

Lesley - I don't know about you, but when I clean the house, I get lots of exercise (bending, stretching, etc)

Sue in SD - never heard of a decongestant massage. Tell me more about it.

Meg - yea for you cutting your med. I tend to graze all day

Michele in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    October 3rd totals:

Steps, 10,029
    Distance 4.28 miles

Not too bad.

Sylvia
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a terrific thread! What an intersting group of women, doing so many things!

I had a pretty good September. Had my annual physical, blood pressure 102/60. (Yay), blood work normal, (yay), cardio stress test - very good. (Yay). So, I'm good to go.

Unfortunately, my husband brought home a nasty virus from a business trip and everyone in our house got sick. My poor husband spiked a fever of 103F and I ultimately had to take him to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with moderately severe pneumonia. Prior to this, he had only missed 1 day of work in 28years of practice, but he was off sick all last week.

My daughter spiked a fever of 103F but her chest stayed clear.

I got the virus, too, but have not been as ill - only low and normal fever, off and on.

This week we're all back at work and school but only half power. I'm sure we'll be close to normal next week but that was some nasty flu! :)

I just earned my 14,000 flights of stairs badge with fitbit (I've worn one for quite a long time) and I'm quite proud of that badge. Those miles and stairs do add up. :)

For October:
    I'm going to host our family thanksgiving next weekend and I'm looking forward to that

I need to drop by a little gift at my step-sister's house. She had a double mastectomy last week and my husband had suggested getting her some jar openers because she will have difficulty using her hands and arms (very clever idea) but I didn't go because i didn't want to get anywhere near her when I was probably toxic with germs.

I have a new horse, so I'm hoping to spend a lot of time getting to know him in October

I'd like to get a chance to spend some time with my good friend Heather, who I havem't seen in a year. She is just one of the most special people I have ever known and I really like her. We just get busy and don't have time. She lost her Mom this summer and I know it's been a crappy time for her, so I want to make sure I stay in touch this fall.

And, just in general, I'd like to spend as much time outside before winter comes.

Lastly, I have to go to a funeral tomorrow. This, I'm dreading. :(

Thank you for this really nice thread, Barbie!! Happy Dancing!
    Tracy - from Rosemont, Ontario.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Hi Tracy! Nice post! That flu sounds horrible, but you have bounced back.:flowerforyou:

We went out for our evening meal and got in another 75 mins walking, so I have totted up 759 calories today.:bigsmile: Unfortunately my meal came to 1450! ! ! ! ! :ohwell: It was a place called Keen's Chophouse, which is really old and has old smoking pipes all over the ceiling. We hadn't booked so had to wait in the bar which is where some of my calories went.:noway: We had a lovely chat with some other tourists then had the most delicious filet mignon and creamed spinach. We loved the place so much we have booked for tomorrow night when I will try to eat more circumspectly. They do oysters and other seafood so I will have that and lay off the stout! ! ! DH was in heaven as he loves steak, but usually finds it too tough. This was melt in the mouth. I rarely eat steak, but I just fancied it after my seafood last night. Really great atmosphere.

My toenails :ohwell: are suffering with all this walking! :tongue: Must get some new trainers.

I bought a Christmas decorstion of a Santa riding a N Y C taxi. Love it!

Heather, tired but happy in the US of A.:heart:
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

I put the MFP app on my new smartphone last night so hopefully that will help me stay on track with logging my food again. I did log every last bite today and was doing well until I caved and got dessert with dinner (ate out tonight). Oh well, I will dust myself off and try better tomorrow. No more eating out this weekend so that will help I'm sure. DH and I are volunteering tomorrow morning at the annual electronics and metals recycling drive. Plan on wearing my winter coat since it's first thing in the morning and the weather is supposed to be pretty nippy in the morning. Then on to local pet adoption event, not that I need any more four footed critters! Plan on supporting the local vendors though. The rest of the weekend will be spent de-cluttering. Have stacks of paperwork to go through and get organized before school starts again Monday. Thanks for the warm welcome back and to all the newcomers-this is an awesome place to come for support! My laptop battery is about to die so signing off before I lose this post!

Kathy in windy IL
  • dinaesia
    dinaesia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Today was a perfect October day! It was warm, 81 degrees with a lovely 20 mph breeze. Such a beautiful afternoon. I worked in the yard for about 30 minutes. Setting plants in a flowerbed. Went out and had lunch. Ran some errands. I turned off the car's A/C and opened the windows. MMMMmmmm.

Welcome to all the new ladies.

Sylvia - Loved the cat's diary.:laugh: :laugh:

Katla49 - Healing wishes for your DH.

Anne - Thanks for sharing the skinny info. Great advice.

Heather - Glad you're having a great time in NYC. Belated Birthday wishes to you.

Rita, - Hang in there.

On the Ebola episode...well, I live in Dallas-Fort Worth and it is all over the news. Every day, every hour. We even had video of the hazmat team decontaminating the man's apt. Enough already. Please.

I'm of to bed.:yawn: Diane in Tx
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

It is a beautiful spring day in Melbourne, and I have been for a 7 km walk with a friend this morning, and I plan to walk the dog later on today. That should push me over my 500 cals burned aim for the day.

We had the most beautiful dinner last night: salmon fillet marinated in peri-peri oil with couscous and asparagus, with a blood orange and fennel salad. So yummy, and coming in at under 400 cals.

Re: fixing my own washing machine. I heartily thank the trades and handypeople who take the time to put information on the interweb to help people like me who want to have a go at fixing something before forking out money. I've just had my car in the shop to the tune of thousands of dollars, so I really needed to save money with this washing machine. Keep your fingers crossed it stays fixed!

I'm quite obsessed with eating well and I post my diet daily, so if anyone wants to friend me and check out what I eat, feel free to add me. I'm almost at the end of ditching 20 kilos I put on after menopause and two broken ankles, and it has been hard but rewarding work.

Cheers everyone.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Of course I need to be up early so I can't sleep..........and thought I'd get caught up on posts before I try again.

Kathy..........Let me add to all the "Welcome Backs"!! Very nice to see you posting again!

Heather..............Yum..........super tender beef and creamed spinach!!! What a great time you are having, and it sounds like you are enjoying it to the max. You are seeing and doing tons!

Diane.......... We attempt to support each other in our weight loss and we write about and comment (hopefully, positively!) on those things that interest us; things that affect our weight loss and emotional balance.....a wide range....medical, family, books, exercises, childhood memories, church, jobs, moves, trips, food, hobbies, movies, our pets, concerns, worries, shopping, and personal stressors......occaisionally, most of us probably do "go on" more than others may want to read. I have a massive interest in news and current events and as a retired R.N. have been following the Ebola outbreaks in Africa since the 80's when I first learned of it. Frankly, this outbreak has my total attention. I am sorry you are feeling so bombarded by all the news reports in Dallas; obviously I can't change your tv or radio programming. However, if you are not interested in what I write about Ebola, I'd like to suggest a simple solution to you
    skip over it. I promise you, there won't be a test.

Good morning and best to everyone!
    Stay strong!

Off to sleep..........I can get 3hrs., maybe,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Looking forward to a relatively quiet day. I hope it stays that way! The only disadvantage of quiet days is that I don't earn calories...but I need the rest. Feel vaguely like I might be getting a cold; wouldn't be strange after how the last several weeks have been, but I hope it doesn't get any worse.

I've got a friend's Border Collie here for a few days. She's the friend who takes mine during vacations etc. She had an eyelid correction two days ago and isn't allowed to bend over or lift for several days. I've known this dog as long as I've had mine and he's sweet, but two is a lot more than one!

She called last night to tell me that another Border we both have known for years had to be put to sleep. She (the dog) was 12 and had some kind of abscess on her spleen; not sure of the details. She was a sweetie and a good friend of my dog. Before my dog had his cataract surgery at the age of 2, she was kind of a seeing-eye dog for him. They would tear around on small paths in the park, my dog on her heels, and she was fine with it.

It's a sunny day and I may take the "guys" and have coffee at the outdoor farm-café near here, where I/we go often.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    sorry i didnt check in last night,by the time I got home from work, fed and walked the dogs it was time for bed..
    DH is very upset.. we had a gentleman that lives in the park where we have our house down in florida order windows for the house, ,well he bought stock windows which dont fit, and I guess he doesnt either have the reciept or what but they cant be returned.. 1400.00 well they tried installing 3 of them in the hot Florida sun yesterday the other guy is 83 yrs old... so my DH is ticked, now he is trying to figure out how to make them work..
    I am going to drop a line to my cousin who works for Home Depot and see what can be done if anything..
    I have to work today and tonight is the pumpkintown prom, It is a fund raiser for my friends breast cancer charity and they make a boatload of money for the foundation.. she is also the one that her house burned to the ground 2 weeks ago..I will be seated at the table with her dad who I cant wait to meet.
    I havent been eating great or exercising,but will get back into the swing of things....
    I am not getting to decked out tonight , people can come dressed however they want, and I will be wearing black jeans that I purchased last night a black tank top, with a hot pink sweater and necklace (breast cancer awareness colors) and boots..
    I would have worn a dress,but dont have any will have to look for a few.
    Heather- you are not old.. you have aged like a fine wine, only better with age so wonderful you are having such a great time. the museum of modern history is facinating.. and maybe a bus tour? I have wanted to go to soho, I used to watch Queer eye for the straight guy and they had this awesome tea shop down there I wanted to go to.. have you taken in a play? I have seen the Lion King and it is phynominal!!!
    well better get my tush in gear and get ready for work... will fill you all in in the a.m.:heart::drinker:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

Another gorgeous, sunny day in store for us. We're packing up for our weekend at the beach, I'm hoping to get an early start. I made a little list of things to take...camera, coffee, dog shampo, and Breathe-Rite strips for snoring hubby. :laugh: I'll never sleep if I forget to take those along. Dog shampoo in case the boys decide to roll in a dead fish like they did one time when we were there. Oh it was horrible! :sick:

Yep, it's always a fun vacation when you can't sleep because of constant, rolling, thunderous snores and stinky dogs that reek to high heaven. :angry: I'm going prepared this time!! :bigsmile: Can you put 2 Breathe-Rite strips on a person's nose? :laugh:

I'm feeling a little better this morning about my upcoming 60th. :noway: I must admit I've been a little depressed about it! I had fun writing a blog post yesterday which helped me swallow the bitter pill of reality. :tongue: Here's the link in case you'd like to read it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jb_2011/view/countdown-to-60-700138

Have a great weekend everyone!

:smile: jb in the beautiful PNW
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies,

I'm resting my knee today. I put a heating pad on this morning and that really helped. I skimmed the thread, we are a chatty group! Welcome everyone new.

I hope you all have a great Saturday!

Hugs,

Cindy in OK
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi to all you wonderful ladies. I won't be here much this weekend; it's crazy busy. But I'll be cheering for all of you! I'm nervous about cutting my meds, so I'll be logging for sure, just not chatting much. Monday will be better....who looks forward to Monday for heaven's sake! Take care my friends, Meg from Omaha where the sun is shining!