Tips on how to ditch the fizzy drinks?

Options
My biggest downfall is fizzy drinks.Not so much coke,but Sprite and energy drinks etc.I know it's full of sugar etc so I'm wanting to stop it completely.I always struggle within a couple of days tho :(
Any advice?
x

Replies

• JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    try those carbonated drinks u see at walmart with no calories. there like carbonated water, they taste just like pop but no calories
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yeah, whilst water is best for you, trying to switch to plain water is likely to just make you miserable. I have never been a big drinker of fizzy drinks (though I do have Lucozade today as I'm hungover) but I only ever drink water whilst working or exercising - I just can't make myself drink it.

I drink a lot of tea (all sorts of teas, black, flavoured black tea, green tea, herbal tea...) which means I'm primarily drinking water, but it has a flavour.

Fruit flavoured fizzy water is generally low calorie and would probably hit the spot if you want to gradually wean yourself off the pop.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think prevention is better than cure in this situation. Do some real research on fizzy drinks, what they contain, their effects, long-term impact on your body etc and try to educate yourself away from the temptation. Once you know the information, I think you'll be less inclined to opt for the, and try some alternatives like flavoured water etc. The odd fizzy drink is ok every now and then, but I think this will help in the long-run :)
  • LucyMummyOfTwo
    LucyMummyOfTwo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm only on day 17 of MFP, but I ditched the fizzy drinks with no issues. I'd recommend maybe buying a small bottle each day and not allowing yourself to drink anymore.
    Everyone said to me "just dont buy it" but that doesnt work in my house. My other half drinks pop like its going out of fashion, so there is always some in my house. I must admit, though, I do have energy drinks a couple of times a week (I have kids, I need it lol!) but I've found a low-calorie version of the Monster Energy drink, which has only 15 calories in 500ml
    As I said though, try just buying a small bottle a day, or as other people suggested, get low calorie drinks such as fizzy flavoured water.
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I agree with Foodiethinkin, read! Educate yourself...

Then, start small, how many fizzy drinks do you consume each day? Make a plan to reduce how many you drink by 1/2 in a week or 2, depending on how many you drink. Cut out one for 2 days, then add on to it every day as you can until you are fizzy drink free! Or go cold turkey, it is up to you.

You can add the water enhancers to your water, but again read up on what is in the water enhancers, no cal waters, etc. Try drinking water with lemon or lime juice or Apple Cider Vinegar (great health benefits!) Now that the weather is cooler, I'll warm up my water (not hot like tea) and add lemon juice to it and I drink it in place of coffee.

I still have an occasional soda, no cal water, water enhancer, etc, but I drink mostly water. :drinker:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i love coke, dr pepper, pepsi - OMG! i was really hooked. the ONLY thing that works for me is to stop everything and just drink water.
    i used to be able to say, "only one per week" but that hasn't worked, so i had to stop cold. i smelled my son's coke the other day and actually felt satisfied just smelling it. so my advice: don't even having anything close, just drink water. :sad:
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Do you have medical issues which don't allow you to consume a certain amount of sugar? Are the sodas making you go over your daily calories? If not, why stop drinking them?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like seltzer water, only because I refuse to drink my calories!
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I like seltzer water, only because I refuse to drink my calories!

Seltzer water is great because you get your fizz without the calories and you can add fresh juice to flavor it or fresh fruit pieces. Yummy!!
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Do you have medical issues which don't allow you to consume a certain amount of sugar? Are the sodas making you go over your daily calories? If not, why stop drinking them?

for me, the issue is that i can't stop. if i have one, i'll have 3, OR i'll have them every day because i'll get hooked on them. to me, drinking soda is like liquid crack!
  • landiekate
    landiekate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I usually only drink water because my urinary tract is super effing sensitive. That being said, I ususally don't drink fizzy drinks anyway. But, when I feel like I want one, I get a flavored seltzer water. Schweppes makes some now (I didn't see them until the other day, and I LOVE their Ginger Ale) that are pretty darn good.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    How do people quit smoking, or quit drinking? Same principle applies.

Like changing any other bad habit: quit, then struggle for a few days or a few weeks. The craving will subside. But you have to be willing to endure the craving for a while. You only quit a bad habit once, otherwise you're just playing games with yourself.

Endure, or don't. It's a choice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a good 6 pack of soda pretty much everyday. I just weened it down...I didn't try to do a 180 overnight. I cut it down to one per day initially...then every other day...then just a couple days per week I would have one...then once per week, etc. I have a soda now maybe once per month or two, if that. I don't really crave them at all anymore unless I'm out at a fair or something like that where you just want to wash down a good smoked turkey leg with an ice cold Coke.
  • Weightlosstips
    Weightlosstips Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i love coke, dr pepper, pepsi - OMG! i was really hooked. the ONLY thing that works for me is to stop everything and just drink water.
    i used to be able to say, "only one per week" but that hasn't worked, so i had to stop cold. i smelled my son's coke the other day and actually felt satisfied just smelling it. so my advice: don't even having anything close, just drink water. :sad:

LOL!! Gospel!!
  • CatLady1309
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice etc.I don't have any medical issues,but I could say it's like an addition.I can't just have one can see,So I feel cold turkey is best :)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    What helped me stop drinking them was not wanting to waste my calories on drink instead of food, I'd much rather eat!

Now I don't even want fizzy drinks.
  • shortie_cheryl
    shortie_cheryl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Whenever I really need a fizzy drink I buy the ICE sparkling waters. They are very refreshing and zero calories. Maybe once or twice a week.
  • dshea0924
    dshea0924 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that the ICE Brand carbonated water (0 everything) has the fizz and flavor of soda and did the trick!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I like the flavored seltzers, but they are a little bit of an acquired taste (kind of in the same way that black coffee is).

Polar is based here in New England and they make tons of great flavors--I don't know if it is available nationally though. Target sells La Croix--that seems to be pretty widely available.
  • CigBock
    CigBock Posts: 12
    Options
    What is it with fizzy drinks that makes it your downfall?

I have not drank a soda or sugar beverage in 6 years so I forget how it feels to even care.

Being as I am a cyborg I see soda as only empty calories, empty carbs, and copious amounts of sugar.

aka fat in a glass with no energy producing value

why would you want this?